Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Justin Fox's JBJ 20 Frag Tank

justinfox

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
charnelhouse

OK so I dropped in to IKEA this morning (urgh... I hate IKEA!), and the trolley I was going to get was yup... OUT OF STOCK! Awesome. I then found another trolley that wasn't on the IKEA web site, same name, newer model and amazingly it fits perfectly to the mm in the space I have behind my existing Fluval Edge 2! I bought it, made it, and laughed out loud at how perfectly it fits in it's little place!

jbj20_fragtank1.jpg

tank.jpg

Kismet!

Love the cat clip! LOL at all the IKEA references haha.

OK a little update!

osmolator.jpg

Osmolator!

tunze-osmolator-controller.jpg

Mounted!

jbj20_pump.jpg

My replacement pump came in the mail today and it turns out it's EXACTLY the same as the pump I am replacing! PERFECTO!!!!!!!!

jbj20_fragtank_topview_front.jpg

Front view.

jbj20_fragtank_topview_side.jpg

Side view.

jbj20_fragtank_topview.jpg

Top view.

jbj20_fragtank_topview_higher.jpg

Nice setup, It's all ready for water now once you get a heater and light on it ;). I should really upgrade my Osmolator Nano to a fully fledged unit.

I'm nervous about how close the electricals are to the tank.

Right! Im sloppy spilling water all over the place when my hands in the tank.

But maybe he is very careful you never know.

I'm nervous about how close the electricals are to the tank.

Hmmm. I could mount that a lot lower under the table (the powerboard). That powerboard is mounted to the wall and for the other tank (proper drip loops). There's a good gap between the tank and the wall so if this tank ever overflowed water won't get into the power sockets. Water could get into those power sockets if I splash water there, say with a water change, but I doubt it would happen as it's a pretty low set-up and I won't be struggling to get water in and out of the open top (unlike the edge's top!).

jbj20_wet.jpg

She's wet!

jbj20_wet_front.jpg

Just waiting on lights now.

probe.jpg

Got a new probe to replace the old one which was way out.

ph7.jpg

Calibration done.

PS: It's quiet as! The wavemaker is dead silent, the return pump makes a bit of a buzz but nothing loud at all (my fridge is way louder!).

It looks great! One thought: in my IM10 tank, I ended up mounting the Tunze overflow sensor on the separate magnet so I could place it higher. Before I did that, the alarm went off every time I put my hand in the tank.

Congrats! Looking fine.

So quick review / first impression on the jebao?

Cheers!

It's actually super tiny and it's dead silent too, but it's controller sux ass. Yes it can make funny waves, but that's not what I want it for, so I have it in constant mode and only on 20% power. At full power it's WAY too powerful for this tank! The massive dial on the controller does NOT control the power of the pump, so silly! You have one button to control the power and you have to cycle through the power settings by pressing the button multiple times, really silly design IMHO.

Having said that, it is a set and forget thing I suppose so it's all set up and I'm happy with it. One good thing about the controller is there is a FEED button. Holding it down shuts the pump off for 10 minutes and then it automatically starts up again. Nice for when I want to see my frags clearly with no ripples on the surface.

That big dial is for controlling the time delay on the pulse modes. Goes from short pulses every few seconds to a longer pulse to create a bigger wave. But yes the controllers are fairly cheap and cheesy looking and feeling.

Sick man just sick. Nice set up. Now what are the plans for the next tank? It all starts with 1 fluval and then suddenly you have a operational frag store. Im calling it now.

BRN, so true! LOL!

OK here's a little update!

tools.jpgLOL my jurassic tools.

alain.jpg

Safety first, right?! :lol: I had my mate Alain over to help out.

fragging.jpg

Fragment fragment fragment!

jbj20_fragtank_wet.jpg

My Kessil is still not here so I've just grabbed some shitty clip-on lights I had lying around. Tank hasn't cycled yet, but I've taken the risk. I'm using natural sea water, temp is right and I've thrown the filter media bag from my Fluval Edge into this tank, so here's hoping it's all good!

tanks.jpg

Tanks in situ.

frags.jpg

Found some zoa eating nudibranches in my main display tank so I've dipped, removed nudibranches and moved most zoas over to the frag tank for closer inspection. All zoas are doing well in the frag tank! Still waiting on my Kessil but these shitty lights are keeping the zoas alive in the meantime.

Bummer about the zoa eating nudi's Justin. Fresh water dips are your friend with zoas :). Glad you caught it before they did too much damage.

They give me something to do! So not really upset about them to be honest bahahahah! I find them fascinating!

acan_goni.jpg

I bought some morphs from a Facebook seller (Reefing Addiction) and they threw in a few freebies. The small acan piece on the left and the flouro green pice on the right. It's a flat piece, looks a lot like a goni's skeleton but I'm not sure what it is, any ideas anyone?

Archived