ReefCleaners.org

Justin Fox's JBJ 20 Frag Tank

justinfox

Some of you might have seen this thread I started:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/363977-please-convince-me-to-not-start-another-tank/

And I have always wanted a succulent garden like this:

succ+square+1500.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I really wanted this but had a hard time finding more info on it. I found their web site, but it all seemed too difficult.

Synergy-Reef-Systems-Frag-Tank.jpg

I also really wanted this, right down to the sexy green stands. It's using their external overflow box though, and I figure I could get the stands separately down the line if I really wanted them.

818BrXdXDUL._SL1500_.jpg

So this is what I ended up with. It comes with a pump and media ready to go.

A JBJ 20 Frag Tank:

Pump (1000LPH/266GPH)

75 Litres (20 Gallons)

6 mm Bent Glass

Dimensions: 50cm x 60cm x 22cm (20" x 24" x 9")

Center Filter Chamber Dimensions: 34cm x12cm x 22cm (13.5” x 5” x 9”)

Left and Right Filter Chamber Dimensions: 12cm x 12cm x 22cm (5” x 5” X 9”)

Accessories:

Jebao RW-4

Aquael 100W heater

What I still need:

- A light. I've been talking to Dave from Nano Box about a Duo (best logical choice). I've also been talking to the guys at Ultrabright who made the LED unit on my Fluval Edge. They have a new light coming out they want me to check out. My heart though is with the Kessil 160. I like the way it looks, it's proportions. It's not got enough spread to reach the very corners of the tank but I'm thinking that's OK (and will look nice).

- Filter media: I have lots (Chemi-pure Blue/Carbon/some live rock). Needs more thought.

- Frag gear: Epoxy/glue/plugs/cutting tools etc.

- A location! I'm still not 100% sure where to put it. On my kitchen bench seems to be a logical choice but there's a lot of bench space. Behind the Fluval Edge and plumbed into it would be epic but I'd need to make a stand, then work out the overflow box etc. I'll not decide on where it'll live until I get it (it's being shipped now).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ben from NanoBox? If he's officially an employee that's news to me haha :lol: But yeah their lights are awesome- a duo would look great on this.

I really like NeoTherm heaters. Very reliable and have great reviews online on their long life.

Ben from NanoBox? If he's officially an employee that's news to me haha :lol: But yeah their lights are awesome- a duo would look great on this.

I really like NeoTherm heaters. Very reliable and have great reviews online on their long life.

Ah... names mixed up (speaking to too many people! And yup, looking into those heaters, originally designed and made by Aquael in Europe I thought? Same thing I assume, there's lots of re-branding going on these days!

Ah... names mixed up (speaking to too many people! And yup, looking into those heaters, originally designed and made by Aquael in Europe I thought? Same thing I assume, there's lots of re-branding going on these days!

They are the only heaters I use. The one time I deviated, i lost 1/2 the contents of a 300g tank :(

Currently running 3 on a 300g, one on a 28g, one on a 40, one on a 75, and one on my 45. Great little heaters that keep the temp rock solid at 78.

Just bought a Jebao RW-4 for it, as well as a Aquael 100W heater.

I'll run a bag of Chemi-Pure Blue in the media compartment, or I could fit one of my existing PhosBan reactors (or buy a nano one), we'll see when the tank gets here!

Just bought a Jebao RW-4 for it, as well as a Aquael 100W heater.

Where did you get the RW-4 from? Somewhere online or eBay? I love the pair I have, well, the one that works. I need to organise a replacement.

Ah I thought it might have been the same pump as you used!!! Fingers crossed my one is a good one?! I got it from Guppies! http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/

Thanks for that! I have used Guppies for years, they are pretty good, even though their freight is a bit over priced IMO. On eBay I got the pumps for about that so I'll see what Guppies charge for freight on it. I paid about $140 shipped for a pair of them with AUD power packs. Still think I'll try and fix this one I have though.

RW 4 looks neat. Planning to get this for the edge. Wonder how you like it in comparison to the MP10.

MP10 ist just a bit too pricey for me atm (after I threw all my money at Neill :D )

was thinking about the tunze nano, but that open propeller "blender" is a design flaw / too risky in my eyes.

RW 4 looks neat. Planning to get this for the edge. Wonder how you like it in comparison to the MP10.

MP10 ist just a bit too pricey for me atm (after I threw all my money at Neill :D )

was thinking about the tunze nano, but that open propeller "blender" is a design flaw / too risky in my eyes.

Well it's in a MUCH different price bracket to the MP10 that's for sure (I just couldn't justify buying another one!), and it all seems to reflect so. IE; the packaging was nothing fancy, the plastic looks and feels very cheap and the controller graphics look horrible. I've not tested it though as my tank isn't here yet. Perhaps I should just to be sure it's not defective?!

Ah and if you are still interested in the Preis nano frag tank I could get you the info you need. Preis is a well known German aquarium company, not far from where I was born.

DUO.... DUO.... DUO.... ;)

Great start!

-Dave

Agreeing with Dave!

Here is my frag tank (which I think is about the same size as the JBJ you have) lit by a Duo. Please ignore messy apartment in background:

Duo_zpsqf6k4t3t.jpg

I am kind of a NBR evangelist though. I have a Mini, Duo, and Quad:

Busted_zpslmyeohaf.jpg

Agreeing with Dave!

Here is my frag tank (which I think is about the same size as the JBJ you have) lit by a Duo. Please ignore messy apartment in background:

I am kind of a NBR evangelist though. I have a Mini, Duo, and Quad:

Oh man! Love your set-ups! You know, it's just what I'm trying to avoid though, a nice house but with tanks everywhere (LOL!). I've got a feeling this 2nd tank is going to be joined by a 3rd one soon HAHA!!!

Logically I know that the Duo is 100% the best light for what I need, but I'm not the most logical person out there. I tend to go with my heart a lot and the Kessil lights just look so right to me, visually. I love the 160's (smaller Kessil) spotlight design, even the gooseneck it comes with, it all looks how I imagine it to look.

PS: I'm making moves to upgrade my Edge 2 to Neill's Marine Pac 3 soon, which will come with Nano Box power! :)

Tank is in transit enroute to Sydney Australia! Tracking says it's left the international dispatch centre in Erlanger City in Kentucky (LOL WOW!). The only thing that comes to mind when I think of Kentucky is (unfortunately) KFC!!! :lol:

Oh man! Love your set-ups! You know, it's just what I'm trying to avoid though, a nice house but with tanks everywhere (LOL!). I've got a feeling this 2nd tank is going to be joined by a 3rd one soon HAHA!!!

Logically I know that the Duo is 100% the best light for what I need, but I'm not the most logical person out there. I tend to go with my heart a lot and the Kessil lights just look so right to me, visually. I love the 160's (smaller Kessil) spotlight design, even the gooseneck it comes with, it all looks how I imagine it to look.

PS: I'm making moves to upgrade my Edge 2 to Neill's Marine Pac 3 soon, which will come with Nano Box power! :)

Hell ya Pac-3 all the way!

The tank is now in Honolulu en-route to Sydney Australia!

Still undecided on what light to get for this tank, and undecided on where in my house to put it too. At the moment, my living area is a balance of all sorts of stuff. Skateboards, robots, toys all over the place but it's balanced. Having 2 tanks in the room though might make me look like a fish geek? I dunno?! :lol:

Light: My heart still wants the Kessil 160 based on looks alone. I'm still waiting on the Ultrabrite LED (who make the unit on my Fluval Edge) guys to get me images of their new more powerful light, and then there's the Nano Box Duo which my brain tells me would be the most logical choice (most functionally correct).

I wouldn't recommend a kessil a160we for this tank.. I had one over mine and the corners were very dark at 12" off the water. Duo would be my choice if I did it again but I had a t5 fixture so that's what I went with.

I wouldn't recommend a kessil a160we for this tank.. I had one over mine and the corners were very dark at 12" off the water. Duo would be my choice if I did it again but I had a t5 fixture so that's what I went with.

100% there would be shade in the corners but that could look really dynamic in my space, and quite elegant (I had in mind to start frags in the centre and place them towards the corners over time).

Archived