Cultivated Reef

Long Nose Hawk Fish Feeding

pewpewkittah

pewpewkittah

After doing a little research, I purchased a long nose hawk fish for my 35g reef tank. The other inhabitants include 2 ocellaris clown fish, 1 green chromis and 2 banded coral shrimp. I have been feeding them every 1-2 days with either Mysis Shrimp or Cobalt Aquatics flakes. However, since I got the hawk fish I have been feeding Mysis shrimp a lot more often because he doesn't seem to eat the flakes.

1. How often should I feed him? I was getting different answers online.

2. What else can I feed him besides frozen Mysis shrimp? I want to provide more variety in his diet, while also having the food easy to keep.

3. Is this how they are supposed to look (first picture)? I am worried he isn't getting enough food. I included a second picture of what looks like a much fatter(or bigger?) hawk fish.

Thanks in advance!

post-87446-0-17763200-1439402778_thumb.jpg

post-87446-0-69792400-1439402782_thumb.jpg

After doing a little research, I purchased a long nose hawk fish for my 35g reef tank. The other inhabitants include 2 ocellaris clown fish, 1 green chromis and 2 banded coral shrimp. I have been feeding them every 1-2 days with either Mysis Shrimp or Cobalt Aquatics flakes. However, since I got the hawk fish I have been feeding Mysis shrimp a lot more often because he doesn't seem to eat the flakes.

1. How often should I feed him? I was getting different answers online.

2. What else can I feed him besides frozen Mysis shrimp? I want to provide more variety in his diet, while also having the food easy to keep.

3. Is this how they are supposed to look (first picture)? I am worried he isn't getting enough food. I included a second picture of what looks like a much fatter(or bigger?) hawk fish.

Thanks in advance!

I've had a Longnose Hawkfish and in my opinion they're a lot easier than people make out. I feed my entire tank twice a week with a mix of pellets and frozen. The second picture you're posting looks to be very fat, mine looked more like the first picture. Keep in mind everyone is going to have different opinions on feeding, some people feed multiple times a day, some feed like me. I think minimal feeding is great, because it lowers waste, and in nanos that's super important. I only feed as much as my fish will eat in one session. Then again, some people on here will feed like crazy and blanket feed the entire tank. Mess around with what works best for you and go from there. There is no real right or wrong, as long as you're feeding them some :P

pewpewkittah

I've had a Longnose Hawkfish and in my opinion they're a lot easier than people make out. I feed my entire tank twice a week with a mix of pellets and frozen. The second picture you're posting looks to be very fat, mine looked more like the first picture. Keep in mind everyone is going to have different opinions on feeding, some people feed multiple times a day, some feed like me. I think minimal feeding is great, because it lowers waste, and in nanos that's super important. I only feed as much as my fish will eat in one session. Then again, some people on here will feed like crazy and blanket feed the entire tank. Mess around with what works best for you and go from there. There is no real right or wrong, as long as you're feeding them some :P

Thanks for the quick response! I guess I was just worrying too much ;).

Also. That gif in your signature. I can hear that awful sound he makes in my head. :scarry:

Archived