ReefCleaners.org

PAR38 Bulb Help

VW_TDI_02

Long Version:

Right now I have a 36 watt PAR38 bulb with 60 degree optics lighting my frag tank but I'm not a huge fan of the color. It has a 2:1 ratio of whites to blues so I'm looking to replace it with something that's either full spectrum or at least more on the blue side but I'm having a tough time finding anything near that same wattage without spending $80+ when I got my current bulb for $30 brand new.

The frags are sitting at about 6-7" of water and then there is another 8" or so space between the surface of the water and the bulb. Currently I have two acros and two digis that are directly under the bulb and those are growing really well. Towards the outside I have a birdsnest which is growing very quickly and then some monti caps which are doing well too. I'm trying to find a new bulb but most of the bulbs I see are closer to the 18 watt range and I'm not sure if that's going to be enough. I'm not getting any bleaching on my current corals so I feel like an 18 watt bulb isn't going to cut it.

Short Version:

- Have a 36 watt PAR38 bulb with awful colors, looking for a color change

- Only finding bulbs around 18 watts and unsure if that's going to be enough

- Growing only SPS on a frag rack under 6-7" of water

Questions:

- Is an 18 watt bulb going to be enough?

- Have any links to a higher power bulb with good color that isn't super expensive? Currently looking at one from ReefLED.ca

- Does anyone have a higher power bulb with good color for sale?

First off, are you 100% sure that your "36W bulb" is actually drawing 36W? If so, then your only equivalent option is going to be the 35W PAR38's from Coral Compulsion. If the draw is a little lower, then their 24W PAR38's would work well, and honestly, would be a better choice than the 35W version (it's not fan cooled, and has a better color setup).

Basically, to get a better color setup in a PAR38, you are going to have to pony up the cash.

I don't think it's actually pulling 36 watts. It has 12x3 watt LEDs and no fans so I'd imagine it's running at a good bit less than that. I guess it comes down to how they're advertised. When they say 18 watts, is that 18 watts of actual power draw or 18 watts worth of LEDs?

[Edit]

The most recent bulb I've been looking at is a used one from a member here and this is the information I received: "LEDTRiC™ PAR38 Full-Spectrum 18w ReefLamp - 60° Optics"

Here is a link to what I have:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E27-36W-Aquarium-LED-Light-Fish-Tank-Coral-Reef-Grow-Lamp-Bulb-Blue-White-PAR38-/181668435153?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a4c4854d1

What they are doing is pretty common. Listing the theoretical power of the LEDs sounds more impressive than the actual power draw, which is more likely around 24W (2W per LEDs). Kill-A-Watt meters (and similar watt meters) are pretty cheap now and are a quick way to verify what the lamp is drawing.

The LEDTric lamps were pretty good when they were around. I think the Coral Compulsion color is a little better, but if the price is good on the used lamp, then it's hard to pass that up.

What they are doing is pretty common. Listing the theoretical power of the LEDs sounds more impressive than the actual power draw, which is more likely around 24W (2W per LEDs). Kill-A-Watt meters (and similar watt meters) are pretty cheap now and are a quick way to verify what the lamp is drawing.

The LEDTric lamps were pretty good when they were around. I think the Coral Compulsion color is a little better, but if the price is good on the used lamp, then it's hard to pass that up.

yea, the same thing happens with the cheap black box panels that will say either 120 watts (actual pull) or 165 watt (55x3 watt LEDs). The bulb is listed at $50 which isn't too bad. I know ReefLED.ca has bulbs for $55 new but since they're in Canada it's another $25 or so just to ship them to the states.

yea, the same thing happens with the cheap black box panels that will say either 120 watts (actual pull) or 165 watt (55x3 watt LEDs). The bulb is listed at $50 which isn't too bad. I know ReefLED.ca has bulbs for $55 new but since they're in Canada it's another $25 or so just to ship them to the states.

120 isn't always the actual pull. My black box pulls ~100W

Go with the Coral Compulsion bulbs, you can't beat them. I have 2 LEDTric and loved them when I used them over my 20L.

Coral Compulsions are a bit out of my price range. As it is, I'm hesitant to buy a the LEDTric bulb for $50 since it's already multiple years old. There's no way I'm getting a Coral Compulsion bulb new unless it goes on some absurd 50% off sale, haha.

Coral Compulsions are a bit out of my price range. As it is, I'm hesitant to buy a the LEDTric bulb for $50 since it's already multiple years old. There's no way I'm getting a Coral Compulsion bulb new unless it goes on some absurd 50% off sale, haha.

$50 for a LEDTric PAR38 bulb isn't bad, and for it being a couple years old that is nothing for the life span of a LED. Majority of the LED's have a life span of 50,000+ hours.

$50 for a LEDTric PAR38 bulb isn't bad, and for it being a couple years old that is nothing for the life span of a LED. Majority of the LED's have a life span of 50,000+ hours.

I just sent the person the money so hopefully I should get it early next week.

The LEDs aren't the point of concern. It's the power supply. The electrolytic capacitors used in these power supplies are always the weak point. I will say that I didn't hear of nearly as many issues with LEDTric lamps as some others, so the likelihood of it still being usable for years to come is good (but not a guarantee).

I'm running one of the second generation LEDTric Zooman+ PAR38's... it's done a great job for the past 3 years or so. I think some of the newer color mixes might do a better job nowadays but it's a perfectly viable light for soft corals/LPS and have even bleached out my few forays into stony corals with it, so I bet it'd work for those too with a little more care/luck.

I'm noticing that some of my orange-hued corals (when under other's lights) are trending more towards yellowish these days when added to my tank... perhaps an upgrade will be in the works in the next couple of months.

But overall great color, decent growth and all at a very low price.

Sounds good so far. I currently have the bulb that I linked earlier and so far the SPS are doing really well. Can't wait to see what kind of difference the new bulb makes. It's pretty much all cool white LEDs so hopefully the corals will look even better with the new bulb.

The LEDs aren't the point of concern. It's the power supply. The electrolytic capacitors used in these power supplies are always the weak point. I will say that I didn't hear of nearly as many issues with LEDTric lamps as some others, so the likelihood of it still being usable for years to come is good (but not a guarantee).

Don't get all scientific on me! :P

Just got a message from the seller and he should be dropping it off at FedEx tomorrow. The bulb is coming from Orlando so hopefully by mid next week i should have it over the tank.

Archived