inTank Media Baskets

Still don't know

Murphs_Reef

not sure this is any better a picture... damn camera phones

new pic uploaded

genus- fungia. species- I don't have a clue how to identify playe corals from each other.

Anyway thanks all

It's absolutely this http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Plate-Coral

Could also be of the genus Cycloseris - differs slightly from genus fungia. I sorta combined them and/or assumed everything was a fungia, but apparently small differences exist.

So fungia appears to start out attached then become free-living later wheras Cycloseris is free-living from the start. Also it appears you can distinguish by looking at the bottom where Cycloseris is smooth and fungia has little nips. Apparently Cycloceris also stays smaller, and has little fine teeth on the skeleton ridges - oh and it tends to be more "mounded".

Learned something today..

Could also be of the genus Cycloseris - differs slightly from genus fungia. I sorta combined them and/or assumed everything was a fungia, but apparently small differences exist.

So fungia appears to start out attached then become free-living later wheras Cycloseris is free-living from the start. Also it appears you can distinguish by looking at the bottom where Cycloseris is smooth and fungia has little nips. Apparently Cycloceris also stays smaller, and has little fine teeth on the skeleton ridges - oh and it tends to be more "mounded".

Learned something today..

Yeah indeed thanks for this, so it was attached to a foot or stalk until recently and from what I can see now it's growing at a good rate..

Archived