Innovative Marine Aquariums

ijnoj09's Cadlights 70G Artisan II Build

ijnoj09

FTS - 10/07/2015

21841947540_357e179c18_b.jpg

Hi All, I wanted to start a thread on my new Cadlights 70G Artisan II Build. I've been a long time lurker on NR and have been out of the hobby for almost 10 years. I previously kept 10G, 20G and 40G reef tanks in the past and when I tore down my last tank, I thought I would never get back into the hobby. The past year or so I've been itching to start up another tank and finally took the plunge and dove back in. I'm really amazed at how much the hobby has advanced the last 10 years.

This will be my first tank running a sump so I'm pretty excited to finally set up a tank the way I've always wanted. I was a little apprehensive about ordering a cadlights tank from all the horror stories I've read about misc parts missing in orders and they're customer service. I ended up ordering the tank from a LFS that I've had a great relationship over the years, he gave me a great deal and I figure if I ever had a problem with the tank, he could help me get it squared away with cadlights.

Picked up the tank 2 weeks ago and I was really impressed with how everything was packaged. The tank and stand were built well and everything seemed to be included that should've came with the package. I'll be converting the plumbing to standard and hardplumbing everything, I've never worked with PVC before so this should be interesting.

Very excited about getting this new project underway and sharing my journey with you all, stay tuned.

20241643036_a1330fcca7_b.jpg

20267876975_2348c2ca02_b.jpg

20273778231_1a6d42a5e8_b.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Following.

Just set up the same tank. Now running just over a month.

Odd that your sump is different than mine purchased so close together. I like your sump configuration better... The second baffle section in mine makes no practical sense.

Good luck!

Following.

Just set up the same tank. Now running just over a month.

Odd that your sump is different than mine purchased so close together. I like your sump configuration better... The second baffle section in mine makes no practical sense.

Good luck!

That's the first thing I noticed as well when I unpacked everything the sump design is different from what I've seen online and others who have the same tank. I like that the first chamber is bigger to allow for more skimmer options but I still have gripes about the middle chamber. The baffle/weir design is too low and you can't control the water level in the skimmer chamber independently of the others.

I had a long discussion with my LFS who knows the owner of Cadlights pretty well he also commented that although Cadlights makes really nice tanks, they have no clue when it comes to sump/plumbing design.

What lighting will you be using?

I would think an ATI Sunpower/Powermodule or dual Radion XR30w Pros for that siZe

I will be running a nanobox quad on this.

wish my LFS carries this. Did you end up paying less than CADLight website price? I hate how most of the other tanks are on sale but not the 70g. Hard to justify $1400 for the 70g when the 68g Versa is only $900

wish my LFS carries this. Did you end up paying less than CADLight website price? I hate how most of the other tanks are on sale but not the 70g. Hard to justify $1400 for the 70g when the 68g Versa is only $900

Yeah- get the Versa with the NanoBox Quad for the same price haha

I did get the 70G at a discount through my LFS. However, I couldn't order the package without the pump/skimmer like you can direct from Cadlights.

I learned that lesson the hard way. I would of only ordered the tank and stand... and then hand picked everything else. I have replaced everything already... just over 30 days in. I am even going to drain down and modify the sump by increasing the first baffle.

Good choice on the NBR Quad. I should get mine this week hopefully.

I learned that lesson the hard way. I would of only ordered the tank and stand... and then hand picked everything else. I have replaced everything already... just over 30 days in. I am even going to drain down and modify the sump by increasing the first baffle.

Good choice on the NBR Quad. I should get mine this week hopefully.

Ya, I hear ya... I already upgraded the skimmer and pump. The pump they include is such crap. I'm not to fond of the bulkheads either.

I opted not to run the crappy skimmer / pump that comes with the Artisan package and upgraded it. Going to be running a Vertex 130 Skimmer and Sicce Syncra 4.0.

The Vertex skimmer was packaged really well. Opening the box felt like christmas! Really impressed with the build quality.

20441124185_eea5a756a7_b.jpg

Here's some shots of the plumbing parts I'll be using. Members in Los Angeles will probably see why I chose purple/yellow for the pvc piping. :P

20406400326_639e1152d1_b.jpg

I did a lot of research to see how people with Cadlights tanks converted the plumbing from metric to standard. I opted to use the existing bulkheads that came with the tank and will be using the following parts to do the conversion.

For the main drain, I ordered the following part from Flexpvc.com:

8697-040 1.25 inch x 40mm DIN UNION http://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?pr...&p_id=8697-040

19655449163_370729bfaf_b.jpg

For the emergency drain and return line, I bought the following from Lowes so I could run 3/4" piping:

23923 3/4" x 1/2" Bushing 437

Alex B gave me the idea to use this bushing. He said he had to sand down the pvc pipe to get the bushing to fit, but I didn't need to do this. The bushing seemed to just slide on the pipe with a snug fit with no need for sanding so I'm not sure if my tank came with 1/2" piping but since I had already ordered plumbing parts for 3/4", I"m just going to go ahead and convert it to 3/4".

I'll have more details of the plumbing once I have everything hooked up. Never worked with PVC before so this should be interesting.

20250519386_ca0932a367_b.jpg

20090109249_28b46c8e5b_b.jpg

Got a chance to work on the plumbing today. This was my first time working with PVC and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Just need to take your time and measure everything and test fit. I had a slight miscalculation on the T section to the ball valves. I didn't leave enough room to install straight barb reducer fittings as it ends up being too close to the the main drain piping. I'm debating whether to redo that section but I might just end up using 90 degree elbow barb fittings. Other then that minor error, I'm pretty satisfied with how everything turned out, just letting it cure and tomorrow I can hook everything up and fill the tank.

20420218688_b169b2e936_b.jpg

That's freaking beautiful. The two extra Ts are to run a reactor and something else?

Thanks! I plan on running a media reactor for GFO or carbon. I added another valve so I have the plumbing in place in case I want to run something else in the future.

Worked a little bit on some aquascaping ideas. Used 50lbs of Walt Smith Reef 2.1 rock supplemented with about 10lbs of dry fiji rock for the base. Really impressed with the Walt Smith rock, I got a nice selection of pieces in a 55lb box from Premium Aquatics. Love the color and looks a lot better then the typical white dry rock.

20088314120_57b4198618_b.jpg

19653683484_a4f39fa995_b.jpg

20721317586_940a54d96b_b.jpg

Also, lighting came in. Thanks to Dave aka Nano Box Reef. Craftsmanship is excellent!

20712775342_aedcc94eb1_b.jpg

Leak tested the tank today. There was slight leak coming from the main drain bulkhead. After tightening it a bit more, everything's good. Now I can finally get the live rock/sand in, fill it with water and get this tank up and running!

Leak tested the tank today. There was slight leak coming from the main drain bulkhead. After tightening it a bit more, everything's good. Now I can finally get the live rock/sand in, fill it with water and get this tank up and running!

Let's see with the Quad!!! :) :)

Got the live rock and live sand in today. Putting in the sand got kind of messy lol.

Walt Smith 2.1 Reef Rock - 50 lbs

Fiji Rock - 10 lbs

Caribsea Fiji Pink - 60 lbs

20825226005_8429c9200a_b.jpg

Got her wet today. After 2 trips to my LFS to get saltwater, the tank's finally up and running. The cycle begins - Day 1.

20400837593_ce55b5e165_b.jpg

Looking good! The rock layout is even similar to mine mine in position. As you also have a NBR Quad, hows the coverage in your tank? Pics with the light on?

Love those rocks. How much did they run you? Did you get to hand pick them?

I bought a 55 lb box from premium aquatics for $249 free shipping. It just comes in a box so you can't request certain sizes like you can with regular dry rock. It really is nice rock though with a different variety in shapes and sizes in the box. I used pretty much the whole box in my tank.

Finally got the Nano Box quad on the tank tonight and tested it out. Setting up the bluefish controller was pretty easy.

Also trying to break in the Vertex Omega skimmer and get it dialed in. I did the vinegar bath and tried to raise it up so its sitting in 6.5" of water which seems like the level everyone's recommending but it's still overflowing. I'm going to try leaving it running like this and see if it settles down. This thing is finicky as hell.

20915797119_8d2b1e3e21_b.jpg

Looking good! The rock layout is even similar to mine mine in position. As you also have a NBR Quad, hows the coverage in your tank? Pics with the light on?

I just setup the lights and tested it out tonight... I think the coverage is perfect.

Archived