SaltCritters.com

Infinite Simplicity - A return to fundamentalism

pschom

What's up everyone? I've been in a holding pattern for a while with diving, work and blah blah... Anyway I just ordered a 20 AIO and I already have a kessil for it. I kept the clowns from the 30 shallow and I have a new rock which I pulled out of the ocean myself ;).

Looking forward to wasting more time on here again.

Here's a like to my last build:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/289775-the-inspiration-now-vega-powered/

• Like 2

Nice. How's everything been going?

Pretty good, U?. Lost my job. Got another one. Been diving a lot. Finally competed my drive master cert yesterday! Played the deal out of Destiny on PS4... Now it's time to get back to reefing.

I ser up the tank tonight. Looks good. I have used exactly 1 rock that I stole from Florida. And it's perfect. Will be adding the clowns in a couple days. Going super dime on the coral. Hardy, nothing that will overtake the take. Etc. pics to come.

• Like 2

If anyone is out there. Question: should I do a water change now, or wait for ammo to go down? Everything is spiking, but I thought ammo would be lower if nitrates were increasing.

EBAF6768-C9DC-4E53-80D5-9C78C05FCFE5_zps

U may as well wait. Than do a 100 percent change when cycle is done. That Florida rock must be having a lot of die off. Also I wouldn't advertise that u took that rock out of the ocean. They are stricter about taking live rock from Florida than they are corals.

• Like 1

U may as well wait. Than do a 100 percent change when cycle is done. That Florida rock must be having a lot of die off. Also I wouldn't advertise that u took that rock out of the ocean. They are stricter about taking live rock from Florida than they are corals.

I dont think it's having die off. It's been dry for over a year. Maybe dust or something on it? Idk.

As far as taking it from the ocean, it was dry near a place where you enter the water. I didn't take it from a reef.

If anyone is out there. Question: should I do a water change now, or wait for ammo to go down? Everything is spiking, but I thought ammo would be lower if nitrates were increasing.

EBAF6768-C9DC-4E53-80D5-9C78C05FCFE5_zps

Give it time, this is typical cycling behavior :)

I dont think it's having die off. It's been dry for over a year. Maybe dust or something on it? Idk.

As far as taking it from the ocean, it was dry near a place where you enter the water. I didn't take it from a reef.

I would have given it a bit of a wash first to get off the dust and whatever else was on it, but no problem :)

Its not really "Live" rock then, you're just going to have to wait for some bacteria to build up

charnelhouse

This one's going to take some time methinks. No point changing water right now. Just let it do its thing. Don't put anything alive in there yet... :D

• Like 1

Give it time, this is typical cycling behavior :)

I would have given it a bit of a wash first to get off the dust and whatever else was on it, but no problem :)

Its not really "Live" rock then, you're just going to have to wait for some bacteria to build up

Cool man thx. I've been out of the game for a while and never started with dry rock. I did rinse and wash it off first but the damn cat got hair all over it. I'm still picking it off.... Maybe that's what is spiking the levels?

This one's going to take some time methinks. No point changing water right now. Just let it do its thing. Don't put anything alive in there yet... :D

Ha hell no. With that ammo! That said my clowns have been surviving in high nitrates for some time.

• Like 1

I like your thread title. It echos my aquarium philosophy, (not that I am exactly following my philosophy with my own system). I will be following to see if you can stay true to your thread title! JK

I like your thread title. It echos my aquarium philosophy, (not that I am exactly following my philosophy with my own system). I will be following to see if you can stay true to your thread title! JK

Thx. Yeah I want to keep this AIO simple with very little livestock. I've had 2 clowns which paired for a long time. Probably the only fish I'll have in here. Wife want a blood shrimp so I guess that will be going in. And very selective on coral. Last couple builds I went nuts. Lol

• Like 1

Thx. Yeah I want to keep this AIO simple with very little livestock. I've had 2 clowns which paired for a long time. Probably the only fish I'll have in here. Wife want a blood shrimp so I guess that will be going in. And very selective on coral. Last couple builds I went nuts. Lol

It's hard not to be lured into nutsy-ness in this hobby, especially if you spend time on forums and see what everyone else is doing! I have 2 tanks hooked into the same sump which is what has complicated my system. I would like to build a manifold with check valves on the returns and such to simplify things a bit. (Somehow that last sentence does not sound simple, does it?)

• Like 1
charnelhouse

Did you add a bacteria source? Or just ammonia?

I was assuming since there are trites and trates there are bacteria. Just not very much at this point... Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about.

It's hard not to be lured into nutsy-ness in this hobby, especially if you spend time on forums and see what everyone else is doing! I have 2 tanks hooked into the same sump which is what has complicated my system. I would like to build a manifold with check valves on the returns and such to simplify things a bit. (Somehow that last sentence does not sound simple, does it?)

Your killin me....

Did you add a bacteria source? Or just ammonia?

Hey buddy. Yeah I added the pack the sand had in it as well as a bottle of something which has a name I can't remember. So yeah, not very much. Should I put something else in there?

jedimasterben

Hey buddy. Yeah I added the pack the sand had in it as well as a bottle of something which has a name I can't remember. So yeah, not very much. Should I put something else in there?

The stuff that came with the sand probably doesn't do much, but the bottled stuff probably did, so I would just wait it out :)

• Like 1

The stuff that came with the sand probably doesn't do much, but the bottled stuff probably did, so I would just wait it out :)

K. So I'm just waiting for ammo and trites to go down and trates to be high, correct?

• Like 1

Correct! at that point i would honestly do like a 90% water change so your nitrates will be in good levels (not too high) when adding stock.

Ok so ammo is almost 0. Trites and trates are full force. Still wait for nitrites to reduce, or do wc now?

11B81093-3CED-4BEA-AAAF-2F1C1F60DE52_zps

Also, for some reason I have always had low PH in this apartment. I cannot figure out why and I hate dosing for that kind of thing. Any ideas? Maybe the small skimmer soon to come will help.

The nitrites will peak quicker than the ammonia and once they peak they generally drop fast. When they drop, that is when you should do a water change to drop the nitrates.

The nitrites will peak quicker than the ammonia and once they peak they generally drop fast. When they drop, that is when you should do a water change to drop the nitrates.

Thx. That's what I thought but they are lasting for longer than I expected. I'll wait....

• Like 1