Cultivated Reef

Driftwood vs aquarium

amphipod

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many years you been in marine tanks anyways?

Hope the best with your tank setup.

I began the saltwater hobby at the end of 1995. Basically it was a fish only with live rock and then I got my first coral in 1996. Even then I was trying things out of the norm. I had a nano! Back then no one would dare even try or mention a nano salt tank. A lot of people gave me so much crap for a tank that size. They thought I was a dumb kid who wouldn't follow the saltwater tank rules. It was fun proving them wrong. :)

My current tank is doing well. I got rid of the one in my sig but transfered some of the fish and coral. Currently I upgraded to a 60xl rimless Solana. Again I'm trying something different. I've made a couple aquascapes for it over the past year and wasn't completely satisfied. But the one I'm currently working on maybe the one.

Hehe, you been reefing longer than I've been alive lol. It's too bad even now more aquarists don't have an open mind like yourself.

Small scale saltwater aquariums are fun, and I think it's great that people like yourself opened doors and minds for this hobby, because of it more people can enjoy a saltwater aquarium.

Hehe, you been reefing longer than I've been alive lol. It's too bad even now more aquarists don't have an open mind like yourself.

Small scale saltwater aquariums are fun, and I think it's great that people like yourself opened doors and minds for this hobby, because of it more people can enjoy a saltwater aquarium.

Ha ha, yep you could say I've been in the hobby a while.

Thanks. I just enjoy this hobby so much that my mind never stops thinking of new ideas and ways of reefkeeping. Some people think I'm a newbie when I have a crazy new idea. Then I explain my past experience and then they change their tune with "well maybe it might work....(with some excuse)." I enjoy the challenge and I get a good laugh out of it.

It's kinda funny when I meet older reefers and start tank talk. They talk about the "old" days and I know what they are talking about. Then they give me a weird look and say no way you must've been a kid. I laugh and say I was.

How old are you anyways, I am still 16, I know a few things of old days tanks from a bit of reading ( I don't know half the stuff they did then but I do remember reading a few things ridiculous by today's standards like boiling corals before adding because they will die anyways and fowl the tank)

16, but his hands are going on 87. :lol::lol::lol:

wanna see some grandpa hand pics :D I can probably do it later today.

Update, wood is half soaked, but the water is tea, I ain't gonna change the water either until the wood is sinkable.

I might dilute some of the tea and test a friendly aiptasia in the tannins. But not until everything is saturated.

Try running carbon maybe that can help on the water color. Carbon is always my go to with water clarity. If I ever have a par drop or water start turning yellow, I just drop carbon and bingo clear water.

Try running carbon maybe that can help on the water color. Carbon is always my go to with water clarity. If I ever have a par drop or water start turning yellow, I just drop carbon and bingo clear water.

I might dig in the old storage bins and find those old air filters to run the carbon with,

Any updates

it's not logged yet, I may increase the salinity so it physically can't rot during this process, kinda like the Dead Sea.

I seen some weird white hairy stuff, looks like cottony mold, but it's so salty, maybe a really salt resistant mold?

Have you try putting that specific area where the mold is in boiling water, that may help kill it.

Check out www.rockzolid.nl they make some really nice artificial pieces of driftwood and mangrove roots that would look stunning in a reef tank.

Check out www.rockzolid.nl they make some really nice artificial pieces of driftwood and mangrove roots that would look stunning in a reef tank.

Do they have an English website and do they ship to the usa?

Have you try putting that specific area where the mold is in boiling water, that may help kill it.

Don't boil driftwood, it will make it decompose much faster!

Do they have an English website and do they ship to the usa?

Can't find a english website. If you ship me a trigger sump i will ship you rockzolid stuff ;-)

Archived