Innovative Marine Aquariums

Frogspawn splitting

Choice84

ReefSafeSolutions

I can't answer your question, but I'll certainly be paying attention...that pre-split picture is very informative, actually! I've got a frogspawn that I thought was splitting, but it seems not, because it doesn't have two mouths yet like in your picture.

My frogspawn recently went from one to three heads. It seemed to retract off and on for maybe a few weeks or so, then would fully extend but not be fully split. Seems to be a longer process. Mine now has split into complete two heads and the third is almost fully split. It has been about a month or so total. I'm sure it varies between corals. My branching hammer went from two to four heads in under two months.

So I can't seem to keep my eyes off the tank since I've noticed the split. And sure enough I noticed a few more things occurring. In the first two pics it seems as though new tentacles sprouting. And I think in the 3rd pic is a new head growing but not 100%. Is this growth natural?

4593529a61055dc85396414d659989b5.jpg

c31cd076d8b3520c994b4325e6d1739b.jpg

776c360487c9e12dcfd6df1cfae6137c.jpg

Yeah my hammer is currently going from 1 head to 4, it's now H shaped when the tentacles retract at night and it's also putting out little buds where the polyp finishes at the skeleton. Think there's 3 tiny buds slowly getting longer, they all have tiny knobbly ends which will eventually become the tentacles.

I always thought hammers, torches and frogspawn split, not grow new heads as little buds off the main polyp so it took me by surprise when I first noticed them.

gulfsurfer101

Yeah, looks like you hit a growth spurt. Anything special your doing or just counting on good old fashioned water changes to get the job done.

Just doing weekly water changes and letting things flow. I have some acans with what seems like the same rapid growth, as they have definitely doubled in size.

12_egg_Omelette

awesome job, it's nice to see stuff grow, I have a frogspawn that seems to grow and shrink grow and shrink. I'm ready for it to split.

So not sure what happened but two of the heads have skeleton exposed! Could one of the invertebrates be picking at it? I just noticed this today and it looks awful. I will take pics when the light comes back on but I haven't changed anything in the tank. Nothing new has been added. All other corals are fully opened and look fine. The frogspawn wasn't fully retracted but was obviously looking in bad shape. Please help!

Mine did that same thing, it hit a massive growth spurt and went crazy. Check out my tank link on the bottom with my 20L with some 40 Breeder pics. I went from 1 tiny head about 2 years ago to like 30+ now. Now I don't even notice them splitting anymore since there are so many.

Archived