Pod Your Reef

IM Fusion 20G: Not Happening :(

2 f15hy 4u

UPDATE:

Some unexpected expenses have come up, and I am forced to get rid of the equipment I've purchased for the new set up. :(

Background:

I've had a 12 Gallon Aquapod with a black and white clown and a brown serpent star for the last 3-4ish years. I never really had the chance to get into corals, because I didn't really have anywhere to get them locally and the online stores I knew about seemed too salty (See what I did there?) in price. Since I now have the recourses, and I've had my tank (acrylic 8 gallon display, ugh) for so long, I thought it was time for a change! This will probably be a pretty slow build, but I hope its a good one! I plan on having a few macros with mainly softies and LPS, maybe a couple SPS down the line.

Equipment:

Ordered:

AI Prime and Tank Mount

Aqua Medic EcoDrift Controllable Pump/Powerhead-4.0​​

Owned:

Innovative Marine 20 ​Gallon Nuvo Fusion

Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Lite Controller with Thermometer Probe

MaxiJet 1200

Heater

JBJ NanoGlo Fuge Light

Need to Order:

Rock & Sand

Fish/Inverts:

Black and White Clown

Orange Snowflake Clown

Green Banded Goby x2

Tail Spot Blenny

Sexy Shrimp x3 or x5

Pom Pom Crab x2

Harlequin Serpent Starfish x2

So, I'm thinking about a few of my other tank options, and I was wondering if any of you guys know if building a 16"x18"x13" low iron glass aquarium with back chambers would be WAY more expensive? I know it will be a bit more due to the low iron glass, but don't know how much more. Are there any websites you suggest I look at? Thanks. :)

So, I'm thinking about a few of my other tank options, and I was wondering if any of you guys know if building a 16"x18"x13" low iron glass aquarium with back chambers would be WAY more expensive? I know it will be a bit more due to the low iron glass, but don't know how much more. Are there any websites you suggest I look at? Thanks. :)

Well yeah MUCH more expensive than the $100 Nuvo 10 lol...

Custom tanks are expensive PLUS $100+ shipping fee if not local

As you guys may have noticed, I've been thinking about changing my tank plans! It might take me a little longer, but I am getting really stoked about the possibility. Mind you I'm thinking about it, and I have a couple questions.

Would the AI Prime be strong enough for the Fusion 40 Gallon? I saw the video on marine depot with them saying they have it on a 20" cube. What do you guys think?

I guess that's one question. Lol

Yes it is. I'm a full time college student, so of course I need to indulge in one of the most expensive hobbies I could. Lol Otherwise I would definitely be looking at something like the Radion.

So the AI Prime won't be enough?

Not enough for a Fusion 40. You would need two for that :(

Hey, getting a T5 fixture with ATI bulbs will run you about $160. Something to think about; although they will need bulb changes every 6 months or so, the initial investment is much less which IME is desired by a student.

You could get a NanoBox Duo on the forums maybe, or as GtTap mentioned go with some black boxes. My LFS uses Ocean Revive LED fixtures that they well for $99, I used one on a 28g and it worked well.

How about DIY?

Totally forgot about the dimensions of the Fusion 40. Thought it was one of those 36" shallow tanks... But its like 22 and really tall.

Prime might work- sorry!

I think I'd be okay with the 18"x18". I don't plan on keeping SPS, maybe a few down the line, but they would be towards the top. I've been juggling the tank sizes all day, but I think the AI Prime would be the most efficient and economical choice for a decent range of tank sizes (at least the tank sizes/dimensions I'm looking at). Thanks bunches for the input!

I totally forgot about DIY to be honest! I'm the epitome of a woman, and I can not make up my mind. Lol It's between the 20G and the 40G at this point. Obviously the expense doubles. I'm trying to find something that could work on a smaller tank or a bigger one at a decent price without compromising the quality of life for future corals. Bear with me guys! I will probably be yo-yoing around a bit. XP

Hm. Maybe I'll look into that one.

Not enough for a Fusion 40. You would need two for that :(

Hey, getting a T5 fixture with ATI bulbs will run you about $160. Something to think about; although they will need bulb changes every 6 months or so, the initial investment is much less which IME is desired by a student.

You could get a NanoBox Duo on the forums maybe, or as GtTap mentioned go with some black boxes. My LFS uses Ocean Revive LED fixtures that they well for $99, I used one on a 28g and it worked well.

How about DIY?

Totally forgot about the dimensions of the Fusion 40. Thought it was one of those 36" shallow tanks... But its like 22 and really tall.

Prime might work- sorry!

Ooo! Yay! They're on sale right now too, so that's why I'm like "should I impulse buy"?

Guys... guys... guys... Guess what! I just placed the order for my fish tank! It is an Innovative Marine Fusion, but I'll leave the size a surprise. I took it as a sign that the light went on sale, and I got a personal coupon from drsfostersmith.com! I pulled the plug, and I'm starting to collect my equipment!

charnelhouse

Guys... guys... guys... Guess what! I just placed the order for my fish tank! It is an Innovative Marine Fusion, but I'll leave the size a surprise. I took it as a sign that the light went on sale, and I got a personal coupon from drsfostersmith.com! I pulled the plug, and I'm starting to collect my equipment!

Welcome to the Fusion 40 club ;) (guessing it was the Prime on sale).

I guess you'll just have to wait and see! I probably won't be able to keep it a secret for long, because I'm so stoked. Lol I'll update my first post with the new equipment and stocking plans, most likely in a couple days.

I guess you'll just have to wait and see! I probably won't be able to keep it a secret for long, because I'm so stoked. Lol I'll update my first post with the new equipment and stocking plans, most likely in a couple days.

I hope you are not good at keeping secrets. I can't wait.

Yeah, so I couldn't hold out! I kind of realized that I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend/next week with if being the last week before classes begin, and I wanted to go ahead and let you guys know what I'm thinking for my new tank.

I'm questioning if the duel powerhead/wavemaker kit will be too much flow with the MJ replacing the stock pump though...

Archived