Coral Vue Hydros

5 Gallon DIY Reef Tank for less than 260!

nanoreeftank.com

nanoreeftank.com

Hey guys! I built a 5 gallon nano reef tank for less than 260 dollars, I noticed there were very few 5 gallon builds so I came up with my own build. I ordered everything through amazon to avoid waiting for weeks for things to show up. I think the tank looks great and I have every step included in the build on a website I built.

http://www.NanoSaltwaterTank.com

I was just looking for some comments on the website, any additions I should make to the build, replacements to the parts I chose, etc.

There are more photos of the tank on the Updates page, please let me know what you think!

post-88650-0-52551300-1438966615_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Overall I like it, but I think you'll find the light is lacking in the long term, and that's usually the most expensive item for coral tanks. There are plenty of builds here of 5.5 tanks that didn't cost too much. Sandeep's 5.5 is a great example. How do you like the little $8 pump you got? It looks a lot like this tunze but cheaper. Seems to have a decent review, too.

nanoreeftank.com

The little pump is a trooper for sure! I thought the light would be a limitation as well when I bought it but it turns out the light is more than enough light. I had some bleaching of corals even! I adjusted it to a higher position and relocated my Utter Chaos zoas to a new spot in the shade. Also some mushrooms and my xmas tree rock were not liking all the light.

When I finished the tank and after 6 months I decided the tank and its build should be available online for people to get ideas from//copy because of its simplicity to put together, overall inexpensive and perfect for a desktop! Thank you for your input!

• 3 weeks later...

Wet site and cool little tank. Only thing I see is that you have the salinity stated as 1.26. Not a big deal since most of us know what you meant but someone who is new might not. That would be a bit salty. Haha. Good job with the site and tank

Archived