Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Copepod success or failure?

Salvin916

I was wondering what's the best way you guys succeeded or failed raising or housing Copepods in a nano tank

Either being in a sump or pile of little live rock rebels or just live rock it self please share

I was thinking of getting a small clay pot filling it with live rock rebels and dumping Copepods in there and leave it in the back of the tanks...

Please share your story thanks

After a good stabilization getting a mandarin goby

Thanks folks

What size is your tank? General consensus is that a pod population cannot be sustained in a smaller tank with a mandarin unless you have a sizable fuge. Even then you would most likely need to supplement with extra pods which can get very expensive unless you culture them yourself.

What size is your tank? General consensus is that a pod population cannot be sustained in a smaller tank with a mandarin unless you have a sizable fuge. Even then you would most likely need to supplement with extra pods which can get very expensive unless you culture them yourself.

It's a 25G no sump with Hang on back filter

It's a 25G no sump with Hang on back filter

Unfortunately that size tank just isn't big enough to support a sustainable pod population with a mandarin. If you are dead set on one I would start researching culturing pods.

Another route is making sure you get one that will eat prepared foods. This seems to be very hit or miss. If you search here, you will find some amazing success stories, but do keep in mind the limitations and challenges that they bring up as well.

Mandarins are finicky eaters, and they need to eat A LOT. This is a nutrient challenge for many small tanks.

The only issue with mandarins eating prepared food (from what I've read) is that they need to be fed 3x+ a day due to their metabolism. It may not seem that bad, but if you work full time, even 1-2x a day can be difficult.

Thanks guys I guess no beautiful mandarin for me...

Even with trained feeding ones I won't be able to feed it more then once a day...

Wouldn't even know where to find a trained one..

Thanks again guys ??????

Hammerstone

I have a 30 gallon packed with pods and I am too intimidated to try to keep a mandarin. The bottom of the tank gravel/sand isn't the cleanest, and all the shells and rock work is where they hide. This is in my year old tank. I'm scared of causing an ammonia spike by siphoning too deep, I mostly do the surface for water changes. The pods have no predators so they are all over. I have no way to replenish the pods once they are gone. 30 gallons.

Well if you really want a Mandarin what is stopping you from doing the research on culturing them yourself? If you looked up the topic and whats involved you might be surprised in just how cheap and easy it can be, that way every day you could simply add more pods to the tank with an endless supply.

Why can't they develop an automated frozen food feeder?

I've seen some custom solutions with fridges and dosers....lets commercialize this sucker!

Archived