inTank Media Baskets

What to do about my Sixline?

DefStatic

I guess I should have read more about this fish when I got him. My first mistake was he was my second fish. However I had put in three cardinals after him, a hectors goby, and a purple firefish and had no problem.

My firefish had a parasite and died, and my hectors goby disappeared. I replaced the firefish first with a regular firefish. The next day my sixline was harassing it. Now it stays in a cave it feels safe and only comes out to eat. I can't tell if the wrasse would still bother it because it wont stay out long enough.

Then I replaced the hectors. For a week everything was fine. They saw each other plenty and the wrasse never did a thing. Then mysteriously yesterday the wrasse was relentlessly chasing the hectors. And now he has a safe spot and barely comes out.

It had been suggested that I do a rescape, and maybe the wrasse would snap out of it. This is not really a possibility. THe next thing suggested was to take the wrasse out for a few days. Do a water change and put a heater and pump in the bucket, then put the wrasse in there for a few days, don't feed him. This really isn't the best option, although if it is the only I will do it.

The other similar suggestion was to re-arrange the back chambers and put him in the second chamber for a few days. I could make a hanging media basket for my floss so it still gets filterd, and move my chaeto to the third chamber for a few days. And then put the wrasse in the second chamber for a few days.

I really do not want to have to give up on the wrasse. But that is also an option.

tdannhauser30

Does putting the fish in time out in the bucket really help? lol and sending him to bed without any dinner! or is that just to see if the other fish come out during his absence?... I find it comical us putting fish in buckets and not feeding them when they are bad lol, maybe try hitting his nose with a newspaper!

Does putting the fish in time out in the bucket really help? lol and sending him to bed without any dinner! or is that just to see if the other fish come out during his absence?... I find it comical us putting fish in buckets and not feeding them when they are bad lol, maybe try hitting his nose with a newspaper!

I do not think the point was to enforce punishment, but for them to maybe "forget" the habitat and reset. According to research I found, if you put a sixline in last, it won't go after the other fish. But any fish that come after it, it will eventually terrorize those fish.

I do not think the point was to enforce punishment, but for them to maybe "forget" the habitat and reset. According to research I found, if you put a sixline in last, it won't go after the other fish. But any fish that come after it, it will eventually terrorize those fish.

Doesn't always apply,my sixline went in before my angel and my ruby red, but it can't certainly hurt to add last by any means,my sixline leaves everyone alone. (Knock on wood )

Doesn't always apply,my sixline went in before my angel and my ruby red, but it can't certainly hurt to add last by any means,my sixline leaves everyone alone. (Knock on wood )

That is the way it was for mine originally. It has just been these last two fish all of a sudden. The firefish from the beginning and the hectors a week after. I watched for a week and the hectors and sixline never bothered each other.

IMO aggression is a crap shoot though in most experiences it gets worse the more fish you have in a nano-sized tank. I mean you do have 6 fish in a 29g... Not really surprised it's an issue.

You can try to "re-set" it, but IME doesn't always work. Actually the one time I tried it ended up worse though I isolated the "aggressee" not the aggressor.

The only surefire solution is to remove the wrasse. If you're up for it you can experiment and try isolation, using a tank divider/breeder net or re-scaping but it may not be a solution really.

I hope I did not make anything worse. I moved everything out of my 2nd chamber and fitted my temp rack for my filter floss, leaving the entire 2nd chamber for him. It was probably about time i cleaned it out. But I made quite the mess while I did. I am also ditching the chemipure. I had it in there for a month. I was told a month would be fine and that it technically could last three months. Also someone said it was probably overkill.

I just hope I didnt make too much of a mess or stir anything up. I think I am going to do an early water change this weekend.

Catch him and fry him up! Jk. Yeah Sixlines are most peoples first mistake when stocking. Cheap, active swimmers, look kinda cool, you know how it goes..

tdannhauser30

...If its just to try and forget the habitat and reset then why cant we feed the poor little guy lol, seems punitive to me..... On another note my experience goes hand in hand with the research you have read. In my 28 the two clowns came first then the wrasse and Ive never had a problem. A blenny has since been added and still no aggression so I must have got a friendly one.

Try putting a mirror on the side of the tank so the wrasse sees his reflection and thinks its another wrasse. He will spend all his time trying to harass this "other wrasse." After a few weeks, remove the mirror and he should be peaceful.

...If its just to try and forget the habitat and reset then why cant we feed the poor little guy lol, seems punitive to me..... On another note my experience goes hand in hand with the research you have read. In my 28 the two clowns came first then the wrasse and Ive never had a problem. A blenny has since been added and still no aggression so I must have got a friendly one.

My experience is much Ike yours. My wrasse showed no aggression until not. And now even though for a week he swam side by side with my goby, he is now harassing it too.

Try putting a mirror on the side of the tank so the wrasse sees his reflection and thinks its another wrasse. He will spend all his time trying to harass this "other wrasse." After a few weeks, remove the mirror and he should be peaceful.

I think this is going to be my only option. I tried to capture him today. I didn't get my net even remotely close to him. Unless anyone has any tips or tricks for catching.

The or positive is all the stuff I got to ultra clean.

gulfsurfer101

For one thing, it be nice to know what size tank he's in. He probably outgrew your tank. I have huge melanurus in my 75g and I really feel bad that he may be too big for my tank. Trade him in to your lfs if possible that way you can find yourself a more suitable resident and your sixline can have a chance at a decent life in a large tank. It's amazing how much ground these guys can cover. Even a 40br would be pushing it imo due to how much ground they cover and roam throughout the tank.

Archived