Top Shelf Aquatics

Cancelled Comparison

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

I like multiple samples on each side, color would be very hard to judge since it's subjective.

Yeah.... Plus the colors are adjustable so there's no given point to compare to

I wish we could do this! However Harry would need a ton of extra stuff to even make it worth while. As well the two units are completely different in max wattage.

The biggest items would be....

• Both running same wattage
  • Partition in middle to block both lights spillage.
  • Same flow on both sides.
  • Same rock scape or exact placement

Maybe some day! :D

HarryPotter

I wish we could do this! However Harry would need a ton of extra stuff to even make it worth while. As well the two units are completely different in max wattage.

The biggest items would be....

• Both running same wattage
  • Partition in middle to block both lights spillage.
  • Same flow on both sides.
  • Same rock scape or exact placement
Maybe some day! :D

Yep that would be a MUCH MORE accurate test; this one is just impossible to make precise. I think it's just going to be on the same K rating, under which do corals "Pop" (coloration wise)

HarryPotter

you don't have that other tank ? just run bare bottom and put corals in there...

I gave the NanoCube to a local who was trying to start out with reeding

I gave the NanoCube to a local who was trying to start out with reeding

Oh crap ! yeah I don't know how good the outcome would work out for you.

I can make a separation that goes only 1" into the waterline and up to the lights- will that work?

For this test, I'd say you should be fine with that. Seeing as it's not a full scientific test, you have some wiggle room in these regards ;)

Like the others, I'm interested to see the results too.

When you go to set the output of each fixture, you need to be careful how you take the PAR readings. Seeing as the NBR fixture has multiple LED colors per channel, you will need to mimic that as much as you can with the Radion, taking into account the fact that the number of LEDs used and the drive current will be different. Seeing as you will be doing a relative reading between the two fixtures, you only need to take a single PAR reading with all channels set where you want them, versus measuring each channel separately then combining for the most accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the process of running a similar experiment so here is what I came up with.

Tank with partition in the middle to prevent spillage

HOB filter on each side of partition

Barebottom

And same coral frag

I tihnk a setup like this plus what other have said could give you decent results and not break the bank lol

I was in the process of running a similar experiment so here is what I came up with.

Tank with partition in the middle to prevent spillage

HOB filter on each side of partition

Barebottom

And same coral frag

I tihnk a setup like this plus what other have said could give you decent results and not break the bank lol

In the end it seemed like I was over my head with the comparison... It's way more complicated than I thought lol. Too many variables and sources of error, not to mention that my parents were like "HELL NO" to me plumbing in a small tank into the system.

The bigger test are....

Can Harry keep his hands off the corals?

And

Can Harry last a month without listing one of the lights for sale?

Why'd you cancel this ?! Just fu*king do it. Yeah there's a couple of things that need to perfect and the same for both lights,but you could still proceed with this and at least give us a general idea of what your intentions were.

Archived