SaltCritters.com

I Think My Favia Is Dying, HELP

Dreichler

So i have had this favia for at least a year now, and up until about 3-4 days ago, it would get to be about the size of a tennis ball, very colored and very healthy looking, but now, its shriveled up into smaller than a golf ball, and it looks like on the right side, its shriveled and some "skeleton" of it is showing, I'm not sure what it is. Is it dying? What should i do? I know nothing about "dipping corals" and I've been feeding it, or at least trying, when i drop pellets, they don't stick like they used to, they roll right off.

post-88706-0-84302900-1438552079_thumb.jpg

12_egg_Omelette

What has changed around that time period, can you post any new addition how do you do your filtration and your tank parameters? How close is it to other corals could it be that it's a result of being stung?

What has changed around that time period, can you post any new addition how do you do your filtration and your tank parameters? How close is it to other corals could it be that it's a result of being stung?

Parameters are all perfect guaranteed. The only thing that has changed is a weekly dosing of Fuel, half a cap, once a week. Otherwise, nothing has changed at all, no possible stings whatsoever. The only corals near it are some zoos, a toadstool, and some xenia. But they have always been there.

Pinner Reef

IME when they do that it is due to a change in wither flow or lighting. It looks like it has been in that spot for awhile. Have you done anything drastic in the last few weeks?

IME when they do that it is due to a change in wither flow or lighting. It looks like it has been in that spot for awhile. Have you done anything drastic in the last few weeks?

The only lighting I've changed is I've plugged in my moon lights (2 blue actinic) which changed the coloring of the blue slightly, and i run them throughout the day as well. the schedule is: 10:00am blue lights come on and moon, 12:00pm white go on, 1:00pm blue go off, white and moon stay on, 4:30pm white go off, moon and blue stay on, 7:30pm, everything off. Ive been running that schedule for about a week now, the other schedule was exactly the same, but no moon lights in the schedule anywhere.

Pinner Reef

Wait, I'm confused... Your moon lights are blue/actinic? Are they LEDs? Every moonlight I've seen are white, low powered, non-photosynthetic leds. PAR on them is next to nothing.

It does sound like the coral is having adverse reaction to the lighting as per the timeline.

Wait, I'm confused... Your moon lights are blue/actinic? Are they LEDs? Every moonlight I've seen are white, low powered, non-photosynthetic leds. PAR on them is next to nothing.

It does sound like the coral is having adverse reaction to the lighting as per the timeline.

The moonlights are LEDs, 2 of them i believe .5 watts each, all it does is change the coloring of the blue tint in the tank, i didn't think it would change any measures.

Pinner Reef

Yeah at that power I wouldn't think that it would have such a dramatic impact. Any major water parameter changes of late?

Yeah at that power I wouldn't think that it would have such a dramatic impact. Any major water parameter changes of late?

No changes, all corals are doing great as well, my toadstool was stung my an anemone so moved it away, and its actually doing better than before, maybe when i was moving LR around (slightly, no major changes at all) it got stressed or something, i know i didn't bump it, but maybe its just stressed, the mouths still come in and out and it still produces mucus. Idk...

Pinner Reef

I'm with Evan. Reset to what you had when it was doing well and see if there is improvement. If anything you can rule out lighting as being the culprit.

I'm with Evan. Reset to what you had when it was doing well and see if there is improvement. If anything you can rule out lighting as being the culprit.

You made two changes? Go back to status quo ante and see if this helps.

It seems as if every time i go check on it, every 30 minutes or so, it has "deteriorated" or shriveled up a little more and more, just tiny bits, but i notice it.

No changes

??

You said you started dosing something, and changed the lighting. Yes?

If so, CHANGE IT BACK. This is your best chance of making a positive change to get back into balance. Would also do a large water change.

2 5w LEDs (10w total) is going to have an extremely high output and probably up your PAR considerably, your probably bleaching your coral.

To put it in perspective, I use 3 3w 470nm blue LEDs running a moon cycle (getting brighter and dimmer over the course of a month). These LEDs are powered by a 500ma driver (my main LEDs are driven at 700ma) and the max output of the moon light LEDs is 5% at full moon.

The blue spectrum gives very high PAR and suddenly adding 10w of LED output to your tank with out slowly acclimating your corals is going to upset some of them. Watch for other things bleaching, dim the new LEDs and slowly increase the brightness over several weeks to your desired level to avoid further issues.

Good luck.

Edit:

Sorry just seen it was .5 not 5 watts. Still if it's shifted the visible colour look of the tank it could well be having an affect on PAR and any sudden change with out acclimation can cause some corals to bleach.

I added 2 SPS the other week, a green stag horn and a purple acro. The stag has been doing supper well, the acro started bleaching from the tips after 4 days and I have been fighting since to pull it back by fragging off the bleached tips and lowering the coral in the tank to less intense lighting. Both corals came from the same tank at about the same level under LEDs, it's really weird how my LEDs have bleach one and not the other.

??

You said you started dosing something, and changed the lighting. Yes?

If so, CHANGE IT BACK. This is your best chance of making a positive change to get back into balance. Would also do a large water change.

This ^ right here

Every reef tank is different and unique, when we make changes we watch closely afterwards for adverse effects. Some things that have no negative impacts in ones reef can have poor results in another, its simply the nature of the beast. Stability is the key, the more changes you make, the more issues you are likely to cause.

Archived