Cultivated Reef

Best Full Spectrum Lights

Dreichler

12_egg_Omelette

Steenj2004, you're such a troll. But yeah hybrids are always going to be an ideal solution that really provides the best of both worlds.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Paleoreef103

I used to swear by Radion, then I got a hybrid, lol.

Also, Dave's cluster > Radion,AI, etc

Dave's cluster is definitely the best on the market. I'd love for each color of LED to have their own channel, but the four channels of control is still very good.

I've used both, and on the same tank. Radions are great lights, but use some LEDs that sent needed. green and yellow? GTFO

Greens and yellows, while not ideal, are helpful for the Radion. They add a lot of visual brightness and do fluoresce some proteins that you wouldn't hit without them. Dave uses Cyans and Limes in place of Greens and Yellows which is, in my opinion, a superior system. If you gave me the option of a radion without greens and yellows or with them I'd take the "with" every day of the week.

I do recommend that your friend just save for an extra month and get an AI 26 though if he really likes it. That was sound advice from Horerczy.

Steensj2004

Steenj2004, you're such a troll. But yeah hybrids are always going to be an ideal solution that really provides the best of both worlds.

how the hell am I a troll? Please, do tell...

Radion=NanoBox=Kessil=AI I think

I fixed that for ya. ;)

Really. I think most quality LED lights are probably so close in performance it's impossible to compare them outside of price and accessories.

As for OP. You won't find quality, all inclusive, full spectrum for under $300. The AI Prime is OK, but I wouldn't recommend it and is a fraction of the power of the Hydra 26. The only way to get the price down is some of the black box lights on Amazon. Something like this or any of the like ones on there.

I mean...

1. You do get what you pay for.
  2. Buy cheap buy twice.

I would only buy a Radion or NBR myself, even if I had to save for it. I personally like the look and spread of the NBRs as I don't like the spot light/shadowy look.

HarryPotter

Really. I think most quality LED lights are probably so close in performance it's impossible to compare them outside of price and accessories.

As for OP. You won't find quality, all inclusive, full spectrum for under $300. The AI Prime is OK, but I wouldn't recommend it and is a fraction of the power of the Hydra 26. The only way to get the price down is some of the black box lights on Amazon. Something like this or any of the like ones on there.

I mean...

• You do get what you pay for.
  • Buy cheap buy twice.
I would only buy a Radion or NBR myself, even if I had to save for it. I personally like the look and spread of the NBRs as I don't like the spot light/shadowy look.

^this

Also Ocean Revive T247 is a step above generic black boxes IMO- very high quality & programmable

Lighting is so depending on what you want to acheive and what you are keeping.

Completely true! Many forum members on here love the NanoBox and swear that it is far superior than most lights however me and others disagree. I have gone trough, halides, t5, LED including, AI prime, par38s, NanoBox Duo (V3), DIY, IM LEDs and handful of others. ALL are great lights but all IMO are personalty preference and dependent on tank personality. I love how Nanoboxes look but for the price do not like the color and power output, loved the AI Prime (best userface around I think) but needed more light. Halides have great color and shimmer but add up on the utilities bill and run hot. T5 have great growth output but I think lack in making corals truly pop and there is no shimmer (some desire some don't). Personally I love DIY because you get exactly what you want but many like an AIO package. I do not have experience for Kessils or Radions but have heard nothing but great things!

Completely true! Many forum members on here love the NanoBox and swear that it is far superior than most lights however me and others disagree. I have gone trough, halides, t5, LED including, AI prime, par38s, NanoBox Duo (V3), DIY, IM LEDs and handful of others. ALL are great lights but all IMO are personalty preference and dependent on tank personality. I love how Nanoboxes look but for the price do not like the color and power output, loved the AI Prime (best userface around I think) but needed more light. Halides have great color and shimmer but add up on the utilities bill and run hot. T5 have great growth output but I think lack in making corals truly pop and there is no shimmer (some desire some don't). Personally I love DIY because you get exactly what you want but many like an AIO package. I do not have experience for Kessils or Radions but have heard nothing but great things!

I also agree with you. Mostly everyone on here lives and dies by nanobox IMO.

I also agree with you. Everyone one here lives and dies by nanobox IMO.

They are cool and all but I think people like them because they remind them of new iphones or ipods

HarryPotter

I think you all are worrying more about the "puck" than about keeping good, stable water parameters LOL

Cmon they're all great lights; obviously they grow and color coral very well. Just agree to disagree- everyone has a personal preference

I think you all are worrying more about the "puck" than about keeping good, stable water parameters LOL

Cmon they're all great lights; obviously they grow and color coral very well. Just agree to disagree- everyone has a personal preference

stable water parameters what are those? I thought having the best light is more of status thing. Like oh you drive a honda? I drive a Ferrari.

bdevillier19

The problem with the radion is that at least 9 of the leds can be switched out by 2-3 quality warm white leds. A lot of money for gimmicky colors.

Steensj2004

I agree really this hobby is about keeping water more than anything else.

Disagree, Perfect water parameters are GREAT, and important. Without the proper lighting, corals don't grow. You can't have one without the other, BUT.... Correct spectrum and Par grow corals, Light powers the coral to utilize calcium( mag/ alk) in the aquarium to build skeletal structure( exception being softies, which still require light to metabolize/ create energy).

They are cool and all but I think people like them because they remind them of new iphones or ipods

People buy NB because it's the best for the money. Dave can as much as your heart desires. Furthermore, anyone agrees the DIY lights, Like Evil clusters beat out manufactured lights. Daves clusters are DIY, he just mas produces the lights to sell. It isn't a gimmick, and while T5 and Halides still are superior in most serious reefer's minds, Nanobox is king of LED's. Things they offer:

-Custom colors for housing, anything you want

-Custom channel control up and to whatever you want, without paying for MORE than you want

-Highest quality LEDs and true DIY advantage in layout

-Incorporates Wifi control, without buying extra stuff/controllers or sacrificing output for wifi( AI Prime)

I've personally used both, extensively, Radions are Excellent lights, they just AREN'T A NB product.

I also agree with you. Mostly everyone on here lives and dies by nanobox IMO.

I think every forum has a customer/fan base and more so on how they support that forum or niche. I absolutely love pico and nano sized tanks so it was natural for me to gravitate towards this forum. I have been on here for years and in return I think have built a customer/fan base. If you look at Reef2Reef you go there for Chinese Black Boxes or insane corals. You head over to ReefCentral and you have a TON of Ecotech and even Mitras ( SP? ) customer base over there. Your always going to have some type of fan base. I am a sucker for Sony cameras and will preach that they are perfect for many people. But not everyone will agree!

Like Harry said. There is a TON in our little glass boxes that people are looking over to much.

Many people this day and age want instant success or gratification. They see something on a different forum, an IG post of a tank or even a promo video that looks nuts. They order things that they think will make the tank look JUST like that. But when something does not go as planned or looks different they are quick to blame. I see it every day one forums! AI this, Nano Box that, Ecotech blows, Kessil can't do this, my Vortech is a tiny airplane, my fish is swimming in circles and eating corals at the same time ( maybe a stretch ;) ). I will admit, I am smitten of some guys tanks that I see and want JUST that.

I guess where I am going is every manufacture has a perk, downside or whatever. We all strive to be perfect but everyone will be different!

I will be the first to admit LEDs are NOT ready for large tanks ( 150-200g plus ). You have to either buy far to many lights or supplement with an old school source. But things are coming around, in the mean time I will just drool over some of your tanks! ;P

-Dave

reefernanoman

I think the prime is really underpowered and not very good for more experienced reefers ya know, same with the nano box and kessil, he's looking for something with hydra 26 performance, or close enough to it, but for under 400, any other suggestions?

How are any of these fixtures underpowered? Is that why I can't run my A160WE more than 60% without frying everything? Including SPS on my NC 28G?

HarryPotter

How are any of these fixtures underpowered? Is that why I can't run my A160WE more than 60% without frying everything? Including SPS on my NC 28G?

Or me running a Radion at 50% with clams and Acropora :) haha

reefernanoman

Or me running a Radion at 50% with clams and Acropora :) haha

It has been said and proven many times that ANY of these small lights can grow anything in our small tanks and that you can't even use them at 100% most of the time. You just have to see which one suits your eyes better.

Since he likes your hydra26, just go for that:

Hydra26 on sale pretty much everywhere: 269.10

Used AI controller: 55

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364325-ai-controller-aqua-illumination-wireless-controller/#entry5109695

EXT vertical and horizontal mount: 95

Grand total of what he wants: $419.10

Or 2 AI Primes(same as 1 hydra26): 360

2 AI prime mounts: 60

No controller needed: 0

Grand total: $420

Since his "limit" is $400.00, Give him the $20 and call it a day. The $20 is worth sharing a hobby with your bro.

Archived