Top Shelf Aquatics

Best Full Spectrum Lights

Dreichler

So i just bought the hydra 26 and love it on my jbj 28, and my brother has the same tank, but he does not want to spend the $450+ on the light with mounting and a controller like i did, so whats the best full spectrum light he can get, maybe something as close to the hydra 26 as possible, under $400 with the mounting, and if possible, a remote as well, please no radion xr15w pro because its about $500 for the light and mount.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ai Prime is pretty good. Ive seen one over a jbj28 and it was pretty nice, its small and only 220-230 with hanging kit. Or nano box mini for 300 which includes a hanging kit and has a blufish mini controller (phone app controls everything like prime). Kessil 160we is 250. All these lights are nice.

Ai Prime is pretty good. Ive seen one over a jbj28 and it was pretty nice, its small and only 220-230 with hanging kit. Or nano box mini for 300 which includes a hanging kit and has a blufish mini controller (phone app controls everything like prime). Kessil 160we is 250. All these lights are nice.

I think the prime is really underpowered and not very good for more experienced reefers ya know, same with the nano box and kessil, he's looking for something with hydra 26 performance, or close enough to it, but for under 400, any other suggestions?

That's a tough one.

Hydra 26 form factor without hydra 26 price that is. You'd basically have to look for a Chinese knock off to get that.

I think the prime is really underpowered and not very good for more experienced reefers ya know, same with the nano box and kessil.

:huh:
Paleoreef103

I think the prime is really underpowered and not very good for more experienced reefers ya know, same with the nano box and kessil, he's looking for something with hydra 26 performance, or close enough to it, but for under 400, any other suggestions?

Not at all unless you're trying to stretch them way further than you should. A prime or a nano box mini would work fine for an LPS or softy tank, but you're not going to get great performance if you're trying to build an SPS JBJ 28. Honestly, if you're trying to get a cheap alternative for a Hydra 26, I'd look into one of these. https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-16/

Let's be fair, this should be best budget full-spectrum lights not best full-spectrum lights.

A single prime will be just fine over that tank, even for SPS. A friend of mine has acros encrusting under 55 par, he has a single prime over a 29 biocube which is similar in dimensions.

Yeah but the wattage bill and heat that halides give off is not the nicest. I'd go t5 before Halide. However LEDS are the dominant light fixture IMO for their color and intensity output.

12_egg_Omelette

Halides beat LEDs in intensity, I'd also disagree about the LEDs having the best color as well. The advantage of LeFd is not having to replace bulbs every 6 months being able to having different intensities and kelvin at time points.

I run LEDs for that reason. If money wasn't as issue I would run MH with T5s In this configuration 3 blue plus, 2 coral plus, 2 true actinics, and 1 purple plus in an ATI fixture

Halides beat LEDs in intensity, I'd also disagree about the LEDs having the best color as well. The advantage of LeFd is not having to replace bulbs every 6 months being able to having different intensities and kelvin at time points.

I run LEDs for that reason. If money wasn't as issue I would run MH with T5s In this configuration 3 blue plus, 2 coral plus, 2 true actinics, and 1 purple plus in an ATI fixture

what led do you run now and on what tank

Well get a Hydra 26 the . it's 300$

Well get a Hydra 26 the . it's 300$

ya but with the remote and mounting, its around 475

Radion XR30 W Pro

for $600+..... no thanks

ya but with the remote and mounting, its around 475

Well there's not much else, unless you go into the space of chinese black boxes.

Halides beat LEDs in intensity,

At what standard of comparison?

To op: tell your friend to get the hydra 26 and remote then make a custom mount. Or to buck up and save the extra cash because the hydra 26 is clearly what he wants based on what you have posted thus far and in this hobby is best to buy what you want the first time instead of upgrading to it later.

12_egg_Omelette

At what standard of comparison?

To op: tell your friend to get the hydra 26 and remote then make a custom mount. Or to buck up and save the extra cash because the hydra 26 is clearly what he wants based on what you have posted thus far and in this hobby is best to buy what you want the first time instead of upgrading to it later.

I completely agree with this statement. The reef hobby is expensive. But what makes the hobby really expensive is multiple upgrades. It also make it frustrating because you do research and know what you want and often times feel disappointed if you don't get the equipment you want. The nice thing with the AI is that it has a great resale value as well.

Steensj2004

Radion>NanoBox>Kessil>AI I think

I used to swear by Radion, then I got a hybrid, lol.

Also, Dave's cluster > Radion,AI, etc

HarryPotter

I used to swear by Radion, then I got a hybrid, lol.

Also, Dave's cluster > Radion,AI, etc

Oh I thought we were talking LED, you can't go mentioning the Hybrid! LOL

I haven't used my NanoBox duo yet, so ill get back to you on that claim ;)

Steensj2004

I've used both, and on the same tank. Radions are great lights, but use some LEDs that sent needed. green and yellow? GTFO

HarryPotter

I've used both, and on the same tank. Radions are great lights, but use some LEDs that sent needed. green and yellow? GTFO

So just reduce the greens and yellows, no? You can control each LED color!!

Archived