SaltCritters.com

Cloudy water fix using C02

spinycheek

When setting up a new tank with new sand, it always seems to cloud up. Usually it clears up after a few days, but sometimes it just doesn't seem to ever get better. So, I applied some municipal water treatment science to my own tank that just would not clear up.

Several water changes nearing 90% and many days of waiting just never cleared up my tank so I was getting desparate. Granted, I was using a Deep Sand Bed of Oolite sand, so there were many, many fine particulates composed of calcium carbonate. So after reading up on alkalinity treatments for drinking water, I discovered that dissolved CO2 dissolves Calcium carbonate, converting it into soluble (i.e. clear) bicarbonate. The presumption here is that the cloudiness is composed of colloidal calcium carbonate, or very fine bits of sand.

A couple tests...

Dry Ice dropped into cloudy tank

IMG_0060.jpg

Totally Clear after about an hour

IMG_0061.jpg

Second Test:

filled two glasses with the original cloudy tank water about 2/3 full. The glass on left was topped off with deionized water, the glass on the right was topped off with seltzer water (Carbonated). The glass on the right almost immediately became crystal clear after adding the carbonated water.

IMG_0059.jpg

I do this every time now, the CO2 degasses pretty quickly and pH stabilizes in a few hours, the only side effect I've noticed is a slight bump in alkalinity.

HarryPotter

Very cool! Definitely might try this next time. I also have C02 cartridges from Airsoft guns, so maybe I can just open one up under water :)

Interesting, I've never thought to use dry ice before. I've used CO2 to dissolve precipitae in salt mix solution before. It lowers the pH (makes it more acidic) which dissolves the precipitate. And like you said, the pH will go back up after it has been aerated.

However, I still might be concerned about the purity of the CO2 source. If it isn't made for consumption, it might not be suitable for a reef tank. You can usually get some good information about pure CO2 sources from beer brewing sites.

from what I have found, all co2 that is commonly available is fit for human consumption/food grade. Medical grades are available, but typically quite a bit more expensive.

Dry ice, small cartridges(seltzer water/BB gun type), and exchangeable cylinders can all be used. People use co2 cylinders for planted tanks and calcium reactors throughout the aquarium hobby.

Also, this is an awesome tip. Being able to clear a large tank in a few hours is incredible. I always rinse my sand until the water runs clean. Live sand in saltwater, and dry sand gets the garden hose, then an RO rinse.

Honestly I've found seltzer water to work the fastest, I think because it's pre-dissolved so more CO2 gets into water. Dry ice is fun to watch, but most of it gets bubbled out before it dissolves. Either works, and I think both are food grade, but I'd recommend the carbonated water as first choice, plus you can store it indefinitely.

Archived