Top Shelf Aquatics

12 gallon aiptasia problem

leabish

I have an aiptasia problem that I bought a tiny peppermint ship for (The store only had a baby). So far the shrip hasn't seemed to touch the aiptasia. I am wondering if maybe it will when it gets bigger and I should wait or if it is one of those peppermints that have no interest. Meanwhile I already have a Coral Banded Shrimp. So far they seem to leave each other alone. So my question is is it a good idea to try again and buy another peppermint and then have all three, wait or ........I am not sure if having 3 shrimp in a 12 gallon is too many with everything else. I also have 3 hermit crabs, some snails, 1 firefish and 2 little clowns. I really do want to get rid of the aiptasia. It started off as a little problem but then when I tried injecting it with lemon juice it got angry and now is popping up everywhere!

Advice appreciated

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose any fish store would take it from me after? I would hate to just let it starve to death.

12_egg_Omelette

Make sure you get the right shrimp. A lot are labeled as peppermint shrimp but you need the Lysmata wurdemanni. Google a picture and compare. It took mine three days to find them and devour them. Once you have them you'll always more than likely have them though.

Thanks for the feedback. I suppose any fish store would take it from me after? I would hate to just let it starve to death.

if the LFS won't take them back,very likely some other reefer here would like to have some given to them.

Also if you see a lone aiptasia, a safe removal way is turn a stream of water near them to encourage them to detach. Then net up the little anemone.

Or you could just start a "Rent-A-Nudi" business!

Imagine the phone calls, LOL!!

Archived