Coral Vue Hydros

sea hare vs anemone help

tdannhauser30

tdannhauser30

I bought a black sea hare ( pretty sure thats what it was) and he was amazing. He was funny to watch, had a cool face for a slug and was doing a great job on my hair algea, an incredible job really. Well last week i noticed i hadnt seen him in a few days and after moving rocks and searching for him my brother came and told me he saw my long tentacle nem looking extremely large and engorged the other day. So I think he was eaten by the nem, I cant think of anything else. I really want to get another sea hare but is he going to suffer the same fate? Did i just get a stupid sea hare? Any advice or experience would be great!!

natalia_la_loca

I don't know if an anemone would eat a healthy sea hare, but I bet it would eat a dead one. Sea hares often starve once they have eaten most of the hair algae in a tank. How much hair algae did you have left?

tdannhauser30

I don't know if an anemone would eat a healthy sea hare, but I bet it would eat a dead one. Sea hares often starve once they have eaten most of the hair algae in a tank. How much hair algae did you have left?

plenty of algea left, had patches of thick hair algea all around the tank, only had him for like 1 week too so that would have been quick starvation ( not saying that didnt happen though)... the sea hare was smaller than usual, probably about 3 inches long, and my nem is big, the face being around 10 inches across not including tentacles. Also I barely feed my nem, could it have been he was just very hungry?

natalia_la_loca

plenty of algea left, had patches of thick hair algea all around the tank, only had him for like 1 week too so that would have been quick starvation ( not saying that didnt happen though)... the sea hare was smaller than usual, probably about 3 inches long, and my nem is big, the face being around 10 inches across not including tentacles. Also I barely feed my nem, could it have been he was just very hungry?

I googled "anemone eating sea hare" and given the number of anecdotes about it happening in people's tanks, the anemone could have eaten it.

tdannhauser30

Yeah but what i found hard to interpret was whether this is a common occurance or not, like will this happen 50 percent of the time? or maybe only 1 out of every 100... maybe im about to start this study lol

Archived