Coral Vue Hydros

Reactors and Media

Matteo

I have a 45g tank currently with BRS reactors running with carbon and gfo. I am about to inquire an IM intank reactor from a trade and was wondering what I should run? More carbon? purichem? Was thinking bio pellets but people get scared by them. Maybe calcium? You tell me! I have a mixed reef from clams to nems for inverts and only 1 maroon clown. I plan on adding more fish soon. Tank is newly setup up but livestock is year old. Simply upgraded tanks is all. I usually max out the bioload because I love fishies so keep that in mind. :)

johnnyvega252

From what I've seen mostly everybody runs carbon and/or GFO. Im looking at getting one of these as well :). Ive heard nothing but great things about them.

Well I would recommend against calcium because that will require more than a media reactor. You will need co2 tank, regulator, circulation pump and a feed pump. I have one and unless you have a very high calcium demand like my tank does I do not feel it is needed! :) Now as far as biopellets go you would want to make sure you have a big enough pump to make sure they don't clog. If they clog they can build up all kinds of bad stuff. I personally don't run them but I do vodka dose (same effect both are carbon sources just two different methods). I really like running sachem's purigen in reactors. It is very efficient at removing only organic compounds. This means it leaves trace elements but takes out waste. It also helps prevent ammonia spikes when something inevitably dies when you aren't home. Just make sure the beads can't escape the reactor as they are very small. They seem to work better when they are allowed to tumble!

after talking to others I plan on running something along the lines of purichem or purgen. Especially since I will be away from my tank for 3 weeks with roomie to watch...but we all know how that goes.

Archived