inTank Media Baskets

dose potassium

amphipod

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All right I did the math since KNO3 is like 38.672% K by weight and KCl is like 52.445%

To make one deciliter of the solution I would have needed somewhere around 14.91 grams of KCl for 2 molarity solution.

To make the same concentration of K using KNO3 I need pretty much 20.3 grams of it.

So how many milliliters per gallon would the dosing be?

This calculation is right. I used 149.10 grams of KCl to make 1 liter of 2.0m solution

This calculation is right. I used 149.10 grams of KCl to make 1 liter of 2.0m solution

thanks for proof checking :) how many gallons is the milliliter covering?

Strictly for SPS colors.

I know one guy who was using it, and even the hammer corals were showing faster growth rate.

Paleoreef103

I know you can give a nasty potassium burn if you over dose

In a reef that's code for can quickly kill every coral in your tank. Potassium overdoses in reefs can happen really quickly if you aren't testing. I have a bottle of brightwell's potassion, but I only add about a mL a month of the stuff. Honestly, it's best used on large SPS tanks where water changes are often massive hassles and potassium uptake is fairly high. For nanos you should just do a water change. No chance of bad things happening from a simple water change.

In a reef that's code for can quickly kill every coral in your tank. Potassium overdoses in reefs can happen really quickly if you aren't testing. I have a bottle of brightwell's potassion, but I only add about a mL a month of the stuff. Honestly, it's best used on large SPS tanks where water changes are often massive hassles and potassium uptake is fairly high. For nanos you should just do a water change. No chance of bad things happening from a simple water change.

good thing nothing expensive is in the tank

Today I notice there was a large spread of a nice big green cyanobacterial mat, they picked up the nitrates quick lol. I seen some of the aiptasia looked different, tentacles were a little more retracted than usual, they accepted food gladly, and some of them assumed a more normal appearance.

A lone amphipod was happily scavenging with a few bristle worms.

jedimasterben

Actually, corals, anemones, and gorgonians are pretty ok with significant doses of potassium chloride, it is fish and snails/shrimp/etc that are heavily impacted.

So, like, you're trying to make the cyano more purple?

Or the aiptasia anemones have more blue?

:flower:

nah, the cyano is the same color as always, just there is more of it now.

As for the aiptasia, they seem fine with the supplemental potassium. But I will keep an eye out for more changes.

HarryPotter

So what is the actual point of this whole thing?

LOL same question here but I didn't want to ask!

I guess like a colorful pest tank? Lol!

Cool though for sure- although it seems to be more effort than a reef tank

LOL same question here but I didn't want to ask!

I guess like a colorful pest tank? Lol!

Cool though for sure- although it seems to be more effort than a reef tank

So the water is just sitting there stagnating? And he's adding things just to see what happens?

So what is the actual point of this whole thing?

I am dosing potassium nitrate in my tank to try bring out even more color ( brown) in my aiptasia.

So the water is just sitting there stagnating? And he's adding things just to see what happens?

you got it, think of it as a deliberately awful setup, it is bad, but it is thriving.

I am dosing potassium nitrate in my tank to try bring out even more color ( brown) in my aiptasia.

With stagnant water? No filtration or anything?

Do aiptasia normally grow in dirty, brown, stagnant water?

With stagnant water? No filtration or anything? Do aiptasia normally grow in dirty, brown, stagnant water?

to be fair absolutely none of my tanks have any filtration, even my good aquariums.

The water isn't actually murky at all, I just don't clean the glass often.

Maybe that's not every aiptasia's environment, but they seem to enjoy the tank.

HarryPotter

to be fair absolutely none of my tanks have any filtration, even my good aquariums.

The water isn't actually murky at all, I just don't clean the glass often.

Maybe that's not every aiptasia's environment, but they seem to enjoy the tank.

I vote get a cheapcheapcheap eBay powerhead for like $ to keep the water moving :)

But I like the idea

Archived