Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Spec V - First Timer

sanfordcam

Greetings all!

I've been combing threads here for weeks in preparation for starting my first reef. I wanted to just put forward a list of parts and things I already own, as well as questions I have.

I wanted to start with a short bio about me!: My name is Camille, I'm 24 and work for a gaming company in Irvine, CA. I currently have a prosperous freshwater tank which is a little over a year old. I have always been interested in starting a salt water tank, but have always been told it's too hard and have been discouraged due to time/knowledge needed/cost. Now that I've gotten my feet wet with my freshwater (..huehue) I am ready to finally start! My desk at work is very full of figures, colored lights, and assorted treasures, so this small tank will be a perfect addition to my colorful world! I love chatting/learning, so please don't hesitate to give me any/all thoughts feedback you can muster. (here, or even on @misspetrai)

Here's everything I've received so far: [Edited]

Parts I own:

-White Spec V

-API Reef Master Test Kit

-Hydor Centrifical Pump 70 GPH

-Chemipure Elite

-Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light

-Hydor Submersible Glass Aquarium Heater

to buy:

-Gulfstream Mag-Float Glass Aquarium Cleaner, Small

-Jebao RW Series Wavemaker with Controller RW-4

-Seachem Purigen 100ml

There is a very nice shop with a great/experienced owner, Amazing Aquariums & Reefs, that is around where I live, however I've not stopped in yet. I certainly will when I feel I've got a pretty good idea about my Spec V (and for stocking it, of course), but I though coming in with a full understanding of my tank and all of the parts would be a good base for my long adventure!

Thank you for reading, will update with photos when I get started!

Refugium is place separate from your main display tank were you can grow food for your coral, or place to put sensitive species to grow, or grow microfuna like chaeto. So no it is not need but it can be a useful tool to have.

My main upgrade that I would recommend is lights,(the better the lights the happier your corals will be) upgrade them as soon as you can. I would also recommend upgrading the stock media basket to the ones made by intank media basket (it will give you more options and is build better and stronger then the stock one)

Some easy corals to keep are zoanthids, mushrooms, Palys, Ricordea

Resources

BRS tv - they explain things really easy

(https://m.youtube.com/user/BulkReefSupplyCom)

Mr. Mr. Saltwater Tank

(https://m.youtube.com/user/mrsaltwatertank)

Reefcentral

(Reefcentral.com)

Zeovit - Great for coral coloration information

(http://www.zeovit.com/forums/)

Welcome to nano-reef

Ahh I see! Thanks for the info about the refugium. It sounds a bit advanced so I’m hoping I’ll be able to bypass that for my beginner tank.
​I’ve seen some mentions of intank media basket, do you know where I can get one? I have the Fluval one listed above on the ‘possible to buy’ list, but I'm not sure about the difference.

Thank you for all of the sources as well!
HarryPotter

Ahh I see! Thanks for the info about the refugium. It sounds a bit advanced so I’m hoping I’ll be able to bypass that for my beginner tank.
​I’ve seen some mentions of intank media basket, do you know where I can get one? I have the Fluval one listed above on the ‘possible to buy’ list, but I'm not sure about the difference.

Thank you for all of the sources as well!

You should get the basket. Top layer Filter Floss, middle Chemi-Pure Blue :)

http://www.shop.mediabaskets.com/Fluval-Spec-Media-Basket-FLSMR.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwluetBRD98L639p35p0QSJACC8BlKwBxea_kZp4ePa2vUatnTCMaXV3BIyJF95xGPxGLvFRoCdbXw_wcB

Also grab chemi-pure blue all the chemical filtration you'll need in one little bag

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Boyd-Chemi-Pure-Blue-Nano-5-Pack-CPBLUN.htm

12_egg_Omelette

Welcome to the forum, well sites like this are great, I highly suggest you search out a local reef club in your area. They will be great to trade with locally and also help you double check stuff out. Sounds like you're on a good start though.

Here you go (http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Fluval-Spec-Media-Basket-FLSMR.htm)

That where you can buy them at.

A refugium is not really advanced, in it simplest form it is just a container the you can house thing where they are protected from the species you have in your display. It starts getting advanced when you ask just how efficient they are compare to mechanical filtration and skimmer. For my build I took The Road Less Traveled and will relied on heavy skimming, carbon reactor, and heavy automated water changes. I want that water to be crystal clear. I am not a fan of deep sand beds or getting my hands wet because I have to trim some chaeto

Why hello there fellow reefer/californian and welcome. Pretty cool you live in Irvine because i live in Riverside!

Anyways im running a Fluval Spec V also and already have a few pieces of equipment in my tank that you are planning to purchase. Ive been using Chemipure elite and it has never let me down with my last tank so i decided to use it for my Fluval Spec V. Needless to say its been going great and i havent changed it for about two months now. I almost purchased the same media basket but decided to make my own with some plastic from my LFS, zipties and some superglue, easy peasy. The surface skimmer was probably my most recent purchase and has definetly improved the water clarity a tad bit. Im also running a Hydor 240 on the right side of my tank with the stock pump at the same time. The stock pump is pointed a little up to help break the surface. Everything is lit up by a single Coral Compulsion Par30 and all my inhabitants are pretty happy but a Nano Box Tide is starting to look really tempting . I'm also considering a wave-maker and my LFS is selling a used one pretty cheap so im a little on the fence about it. Might be a little unnecessary but im sure pretty alot of people here will agree what there is no such thing as an unnecessary purchase when it comes to our tanks.

Thank you everyone for the replies so far! Illumin8, what does your media basket set up look like? Would it be possible to get a photo? :D

You realize the WP25 can do 3000+ GPH?

I'm completely new, even after reading the numbers and such none of it makes a lot of sense. Can you elaborate what the specifications mean? That would be a great help! :)

Man I just got an image of fish in a blender. 3000 gph pico

I guess way overkill, huh? Still would love to understand it! *embarrassment*

Try the Hydor Koralia Nano Water Circulation Pump

The smallest they make is the koralia nano 240 I think it does about 200gph a little on the high side for your size tank but it is a start

HarryPotter

I'm completely new, even after reading the numbers and such none of it makes a lot of sense. Can you elaborate what the specifications mean? That would be a great help! :)

I guess way overkill, huh? Still would love to understand it! *embarrassment*

Okay sorry haha-

Your tank is 5 gallons, correct?

so you need something that moves about 250 gph max, and even that is excessive. (50x your volume is enough for SPS corals and might be too much for your planned soft corals and Zoas) The WP25 goes to 3400gph... Which is crazy. That's for a MUCH larger tank!

I reccomend the Jebao RW4. It goes from 132 GPH to 1000goh, so if you set it low you should be great!

Try the Hydor Koralia Nano Water Circulation Pump

The smallest they make is the koralia nano 240 I think it does about 200gph a little on the high side for your size tank but it is a start

Yuck the Koralias are "always on", no programs! The RW4 is cheap, and has 134gph to 1000gph. Keep it low and the programs should be awesome

Another one is the sicce syncra nano it does about 110gph about a 22 times turn over rate for your tank. I personally always have bad luck with jebao products that why I didn't mention them.

Thank you everyone for the replies so far! Illumin8, what does your media basket set up look like? Would it be possible to get a photo? :D

Funny thing, yesterday I went to change out my media and my basket broke. Guess I should buy one now lol.

Welcome to Nano-reef! My advice is to ask people with a Fluval Spec V what is working for them. Here are some of the fluval specs that i thought were pretty bad ass. Ninja is super chill and helpful.

Ninja's: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/339343-ninjas-fluval-spec-v-new-pics/

Kijho : http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/343584-kijhos-fluval-spec-v-reef-the-relapse-1-year/

Also Try Socalireef and reefcentral (Southern Cal) if you need local help. Orange County has really good shops and alot of reefers who are more then willing to help out :). And of course Nano-reef has alot of useful information and people who are super chill. Looking forward to seeing your tank up and running!

Ninja is super chill and helpful.

Ninja's: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/339343-ninjas-fluval-spec-v-new-pics/

Yes! I've creeped around Ninja's a bit before posting. Love it sooo much. :D
So now from what I understand: Get the inTank basket, put my Chemipure Elite and Purgien inside.

I have a Hydor Centrifical Pump 70 GPH but I'm not sure what.. I should be doing with it. Replace the stock pump? (I see a lot of mentions to Marineland 606 pump but am not sure where to find it or if this would be better for me)

And then I added Jebao RW Series Wavemaker RW-4 to the final shopping list!

I'm so closeeee! HNNG

Yes! I've creeped around Ninja's a bit before posting. Love it sooo much. :D

So now from what I understand: Get the inTank basket, put my Chemipure Elite and Purgien inside.

I have a Hydor Centrifical Pump 70 GPH but I'm not sure what.. I should be doing with it. Replace the stock pump? (I see a lot of mentions to Marineland 606 pump but am not sure where to find it or if this would be better for me)

And then I added Jebao RW Series Wavemaker RW-4 to the final shopping list!

I'm so closeeee! HNNG

You can replace your stock pump with the Hydor one it is up to you. But do get the intank basket. Do you have the other basic stuff like live rock and sand and saltwater mix already

You can replace your stock pump with the Hydor one it is up to you. But do get the intank basket. Do you have the other basic stuff like live rock and sand and saltwater mix already

Once I have all the hardware I'm going to pop into the store I mentioned above, since my friend got everything he needed from there.

I have jebao rw4 for spec v. It's perfect size for the tank. Flow is perfect too. U just need to set it at the lowest setting.

Oh awesome! Thank you so much for the photo! Did you keep the stock pump as well?

If u want to save some money u can build your own media rack with eggcrate. U can also go barebottom instead of sand. If u do go bb make sure u spray paint the bottom glass black.. BB is easier to clean.

If u want to save some money u can build your own media rack with eggcrate. U can also go barebottom instead of sand. If u do go bb make sure u spray paint the bottom glass black.. BB is easier to clean.

Do you get eggcrate at a craft store? :o

Archived