Pod Your Reef

2 new hitchikers

chich0

2nd picture is the beginnings of hidden cup coral. Very very easy nps coral.

It is NOT aiptasia like said above. They are actually a bit rare due to the fact they are illegal for sale or purchase, but can be kept if brought in on maricultured rock.

2nd picture is the beginnings of hidden cup coral. Very very easy nps coral.

It is NOT aiptasia like said above. They are actually a bit rare due to the fact they are illegal for sale or purchase, but can be kept if brought in on maricultured rock.

+1 to patback's response. I have hidden cup corals in my tank and love them. Not sure what we're looking for in the first photo. Here's a photo of some of the hidden cup corals I have in my tank. You can see the corallites under the tentacles:

WsktgsJ.jpg

Oh I see what you're talking about in the first picture. Looks like a couple brown hydroids. I'd apply some superglue over them to keep them from spreading.

And +1 to the cup corals in the second picture

Definitely NOT aiptasia. In either picture. Possibly Hydroids in the first. Cup corals in the second. I have them in my tank as well. Nice colonies that came in on some Gulf live rock. Feed them.

Don't the feet in the second picture look transparent to anyone else? I'm staring at an aiptasia in my tank right now that has tips just like that from how the light hits it. Cup corals have a skeleton don't they?

Don't the feet in the second picture look transparent to anyone else? I'm staring at an aiptasia in my tank right now that has tips just like that from how the light hits it. Cup corals have a skeleton don't they?

Nope. The feet aren't transparent. There are definitely skeletons of cup corals.

Yes. If you look at the one most centered you can see the scutes (? Not sure what they are really called) through the actual flesh. There is no doubt that those have skeletons. Best way for op to figure out its to gently prod it with a gloved finger. They can lose their flesh quite easily due to touching but generally grow it all back. I had two colonies, 1 the size of my fist that I fragged apart and another about the size of a tennis ball.

I need a better pic for #1 to give any fair assumption.

#2 is like patback said

Helpful hint to any who still think aiptasia, they never have bubbles or anything special on tentacles tips

Wow thanks for all the replies!

Stellablue those sre stunning!

I knew there was something different about them.

This is a better photo or closer rather of the smaller things

wgqk5i.jpg

Heres a closer pic of the cup corals.. what in particular should i feed them?

2rduruc.jpg

Those first ones have some strange traits, have these ones ever moved around? Have they ever made offspring?

The other members are right they are hydroids, but why kill them if they are a harmless species.

HarryPotter

Those first ones have some strange traits, have these ones ever moved around? Have they ever made offspring?

The other members are right they are hydroids, but why kill them if they are a harmless species.

The first ones really look like Pipe Organ to me oddly. A straight small tube skeleton and then the polyp.

IMG_9231%202_zpstvj0cyhb.jpg

The first ones really look like Pipe Organ to me oddly. A straight small tube skeleton and then the polyp.

you know you are right, I forgot to ask if this thing is all soft or if it has a hard tube?
HarryPotter

you know you are right, I forgot to ask if this thing is all soft or if it has a hard tube?

Yeah I've never seen Pipe Organ as a "pest" or on store bought LR since its somewhat fragile, but looks really close to it. A better picture would help a lot

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-31%20at%208.21.1

IMG_9228%202_zpsgcwiqil5.jpg

hrmm.. I will have a closer look tomorrow.. I haven't noticed them move but they have multiplied. there was only one but now there is a few.

Only have a phone camera for pictures, need to get something a bit more decent!

they didnt look like they had a tube they did appear to be all soft, but again they are small so I will double check.

Archived