Cultivated Reef

2.5 gallon pico reef

Jr17

hey im new to picos and im wondering if i can have a aqueon 10 (mod with carbon and crushed corals) in my pico or should i get aqua clear 50?

please help

I don't think you will have any problems with the aquaeon 10 . I just like the AquaClear more because there is more support for it from other company and alot more information about it out there. But sure you can use the aquaeon and mod it. They only thing that can stop you from using a certain filter is if it is build with a material that is not reef safe

The carbon fiber is not really needed I would take that out. Keep the crushed coral and maybe add a chemipure bag or some chaeto

im starting to lean on aqua clear 50, there is more space for an advanced sump

if i only had a powerhead and did weakly water changes will that work?

Yes that could also work. Some people do large 100 percent water changes weekly and that works for them. A fuge is a place to put your equipment away from your display tank and adds water volume that help stabilize water parameters

Agree with PicoSavvy on the AC50 (or 70) because there is a ton of info and options out there. I'm doing the exact same thing right now. 2.5 gallon with AC50 fuge. Planning on running filter floss, Chemi-Pure Blue and chaeto. I will start a thread on it soon but still planning right now.

Yep you can do a 20 or 30 as well. I chose the 50 to get the extra water volume and flow. Now that I'm in the process of modding it, I'm happy with the 50 but I'm sure many have had success with all the AC models.

Yes like what Langer6 said all AquaClear filter can be modded. The bigger you go the more water volume you get, which in return helps you keep your parameters stable. Stability is what you want in a pico since the margin of error is so small in a pico.

Archived