Top Shelf Aquatics

Scleronephthya problem

Aquavid

hello people,

i have this beautiful pice for 3 month now, but for some reason for the last two weeks it started to blend, or melt or i do know how to say.

i fed it every day with plankton and sea fan food. the water parameters all good. i tried to place different places too, but no luck.

any help can save him!

thx

A

post-86843-0-49624400-1438108031_thumb.jpg

The Aquarist

These are non-photosynthetic corals which need tons and tons of food and very good flow to survive. 99% of the people who keep these fail, and unless you have a specific system designed around non-photosynthetic filter feeders, you should not keep them.

Nano sapiens

^^ this...

As tempting and attractive as they are, they require very specialized care and many have needs we aren't fully aware of, yet. Even the most experienced reef keepers with specialized systems often have great difficulty keeping these types of NPS for longer periods of time.

Here's one of the latest attempts by a respected scientist/hobbyist which shows that even under very controlled conditions success is elusive (Dendronephthya and Scleronephthya can be lumped together as 'very difficult'):

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/7/aafeature

I tried once 15 years ago in a very nutrient rich, unfiltered system with daily feeding, but after a few short months I too lost mine.

thanks for all the reply. i read this article, however i felt the conditions they tried to support the corals are a bit different than in our reef aquariums.

now my coral feel a bit better maybe. i fed him 3 times a day with a mixture of live and dry food and tried to find him a better place in the aquarium. i will post later an update and photos too.

thx

Archived