SaltCritters.com

Quick advice please

natcool111

I want a Protein Skimmer for my 8 gallon saltwater tank. I have been looking on ebay for cheap effective skimmer and I found two:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BioCube-Nano-Protein-Skimmer-Oceanic-Bio-Cube-14-29-/380761759391?hash=item58a72b5e9f

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RS4003-Fish-Tank-Aquarium-Saltwater-Venturi-Protein-Skimmer-Wood-Air-Stone-E0Xc-/311392818098?hash=item48807553b2

I have my own air pump for the second protein skimmer. I would rather not spend 45 bucks on the first one if I can get the 7 dollar one that does that exact same thing. I wanted to get a second opinion before i bought it. What do you think, like i said cost is a big factor.

If you are going to use an airstone skimmer you can DIY for the cost of a bottle of water, an airstone and an air pump.

I would argue that with a 7G tank you would be better off with a small HOB filter and water changes.

Just a weekly 1G water change is over 10% of water volume changing weekly, probably closer to 20% if you assume you have a 7G tank with a realistic volume of 5g after rocks & sand.

ragtimewilly

I agree you'd get more out of water changes. Those skimmers would just clutter the tank and be fairly useless for the money spent. What's stocked in your tank? There's really no need for a skimmer in just an 8 gallon.

I am not gonna use if all the time just once as month or so to clean up the water. Do you think their is a big difference between the two? It is a reef tank by the way 3 fish and some coral

I can't imagine there is a huge difference between the two. Neither will make a big difference. Like the others said, a large water change will do more than the occasional use of one of the two skimmers you listed. Plus, you have to keep buying air stones as they lose their effectiveness quickly, and it takes a fairly powerful air pump to drive them. If you are convinced that you really should run a skimmer, I'd save up for something like the Tunze DOC 9001.

Archived