ReefCleaners.org

Came home from vacation and...

Matteo

So I was gone for only 5 days. I have a 29 gallon mixed reef with carbon, gfo, cheato, ATO, and an auto feeder. My roomie called and told me I had a fish die and that was my royal gramma, then when I get home two day later my snowflake clown and mandrian goby are dead. But...Maroon clown still doing fine in his nem and eating like a pig. He is only 2.5inches and never bullied. All my rock nems, purple tipped nem, and GBTA are doing great, all my softies, LPS, and SPS including acros and milis look better than ever as well. Clam is doing fine along with all other inverts including linkin star fish. About to do a massive water change just waiting for salt to mix. What the hell do you think happened???

>> Royal gramma, then when I get home two day later my snowflake clown and mandrian goby are dead. But...Maroon clown ///

That's a lot of fish in a 29, and the Maroon is known to be aggressive. Were the clowns a mated pair? How long had they been in the tank? That's all I can think of, unless it was a water quality issue caused by the first fish dying, or maybe the tank overheated?

haven't had a chance to test yet, temp over the summer has been between 77-81

How long has this set up been running?

a year

>> Royal gramma, then when I get home two day later my snowflake clown and mandrian goby are dead. But...Maroon clown ///

That's a lot of fish in a 29, and the Maroon is known to be aggressive. Were the clowns a mated pair? How long had they been in the tank? That's all I can think of, unless it was a water quality issue caused by the first fish dying, or maybe the tank overheated?

It is not a lot at all??? the clowns were not mated because they're two different species all the fish besides the mandrian have been in the tank together for over 5 months the mandrian about a month. I supply the tank with copepods every week.

I agree with Mark ,those Maroon Clowns can beat the tar out of all those fish until they die. if the salinity and temp is out of wack it could cause ich ,that's what happened once to my bio cube and I lost everything but the maroon clownfish I had.

I agree with Mark ,those Maroon Clowns can beat the tar out of all those fish until they die. if the salinity and temp is out of wack it could cause ich ,that's what happened once to my bio cube and I lost everything but the maroon clownfish I had.

Okay, but said before maroon is only 2.5inches and has gotten along fine with tank mates no problem. Also the ATO I mentioned controlled salinity and all summer long the temp changes haven't been horrible and everything has been fine. Luckly new tank 45 gal is coming 45 so new tank new tank mates

Do you have a controller that logs the temperature? Fish can go psycho quickly, sometimes without warning. In my 40 a sixline turned from a non entity to a killer within a week, sometimes all it takes is a change in the environment, like lack of food, change in temperature, or the fish reaching maturity.

nah no controller to log:( I wonder if it was an infection...so what should I do for the new tank if it was. Any chemical to treat it for prevention?

Archived