inTank Media Baskets

Help or suggestion needed on 30G filtration

Salvin916

Hi guys I have this 30g rimless cube it doesn't come with a built in filter/sump like thing on the back just a plain 30g cube I need your guys help deciding what Type of filtration I need I'm thinking of doing a coral reef tank with no more then 4 fish with black gravel instead of live sand and at least 30 pounds of rock if not more.

Not sure if I just need a protein skimmer or hang on back filter i

Also heard of a skilter which I read is pointless? or can I use a canister filter or is that going to be a problem with the nitrate ? I hear people saying its a nitrate factory with a a canister some say it's not.. Kinda of confused on this

Seems like skimmer is the way to go on my research online But I would like a littler more filtration then just a skimmer and I just can't decide which is the best way to go about it

So if I can get your guys suggestion on this 30g filtration help I would appreciate it thanks guys I'll post a pic the tank for you guys

243qiw4.jpg

http://tinypic.com/r/243qiw4/8

Best way is definitely to drill it. Two drain holes and one return hole and you're good to go. You can make a sump out of a 20 long and some acrylic from Home Depot.

Best way is definitely to drill it. Two drain holes and one return hole and you're good to go. You can make a sump out of a 20 long and some acrylic from Home Depot.

I would have to get a square sump b/c I have a stand for it already and a long tank won't fit but thanks for the advice.. If there a video I can watch on this drilling and making a sump?

Is there any other options I have other then a sump ?

HarryPotter

I would have to get a square sump b/c I have a stand for it already and a long tank won't fit but thanks for the advice.. If there a video I can watch on this drilling and making a sump?

Is there any other options I have other then a sump ?

Instead of drilling, you can get a lifereef overflow box. That gets water out of the tank and into the sump safely!

Another opton for filtration would be a AquaClear 110, which is a hang on filter. Get the InTank media baskets and you would be all set W/O sumping it.

I'll try to clear up the skimmer confusion for you. Basically, people say that because Nano-Reefs are so small, you can easily do water changes and therefor a skimmer is not neccesary. However I do enjoy a skimmer on my tank, as it pulls out a lot of

Gunk and let's me put off water changes for a while.

I would reccomend the PLS-50 Elite skimmer for your tank, or the Reef Octopus BH1000

Personally I'm not a fan of overflow boxes. I had an Eshopps one and it was awful. Mine only had one drain so it was very loud and I had no back up drain in case anything clogged. After a month or so I ended up just drilling the tank and now it's pretty much silent.

I've run a few different over the rim overflows, and I never was 100% confident in them. I suppose a more informed recommendation could be made if we know what your goal here is. Do you mind being able to see equipment in the tank, or do you want a super clean minimalist look? You could do lily pipes and canister filter with an inline heater if you don't want do build a sump. You will have to stay on top of cleaning the filter though. A HOB filter is really easy, but does clutter the look of the tank. I never thought I wanted to drill a tank until I made my own overflow and got exactly what I wanted. I wouldn't have it any other way now

Personally I'm not a fan of overflow boxes. I had an Eshopps one and it was awful. Mine only had one drain so it was very loud and I had no back up drain in case anything clogged. After a month or so I ended up just drilling the tank and now it's pretty much silent.

I keep hearing about the drilling I might have to go back direction thanks for the advice

I've run a few different over the rim overflows, and I never was 100% confident in them. I suppose a more informed recommendation could be made if we know what your goal here is. Do you mind being able to see equipment in the tank, or do you want a super clean minimalist look? You could do lily pipes and canister filter with an inline heater if you don't want do build a sump. You will have to stay on top of cleaning the filter though. A HOB filter is really easy, but does clutter the look of the tank. I never thought I wanted to drill a tank until I made my own overflow and got exactly what I wanted. I wouldn't have it any other way now

So with the sump I will most likely look into the drilling way seems like the best way to go about it and it's save compared to the overflow box siphon. I don't think I want a canister due to the nitrate spikes I heard about I honk HOB filter will do like aqua clear 70-110 your right it doe make it a clutter look to it but I wanted to have that rimless look but now I'm scared few of the fishes are jumpers like wrasse and gobies and one of my friend just told me one his clown jumped out as well due to figuring out which one will dominate. So I was thinking getting a custom clear plastic made for the cover and attaching it with Velcro or something or if you guys had any other ideas I would appreciate that too

Once again thank you and everyone one for the help advice suggestions much much appreciated

Archived