SaltCritters.com

What's your favorite "show stopper" peaceful fish?

Hammerstone

Hammerstone

Just curious. Reef safe of course. I'm looking for one last fish to add. Im sure you guys know more species than I do. :-) one that stays in the water column.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leopard wrasses are beautiful fish. And mostly peaceful too.

They present some challenges though if you aren't aware.

HarryPotter

Leopard wrasses are beautiful fish. And mostly peaceful too.

They present some challenges though if you aren't aware.

What challenges? Some live food and maybe small snail munching?

What challenges? Some live food and maybe small snail munching?

They generally don't ship well and can get 'Jet Lag' which causes stress and sickness. They also sleep in the sand so you will be required to have some deep sand for one.

Love my longnose hawk. I can't imagine having tank without one.

Yellow coris wrasse is another I always have to have. Great color and pest control

Love my longnose hawk. I can't imagine having tank without one.Yellow coris wrasse is another I always have to have. Great color and pest control

I was thinking of yours when I wrote that plainrt

I'd also like to throw the sixline wrasse in there,yes,I know,common fish,but mine as most is very active and quite adept at taking care of alot of things in the tank. And a very nicely colored and patterned fish.

I like fairy wrasses. You have a variety of species different sizes and are active, colorful, and peaceful. I really liked my solar wrasse (rip) and my current yellow flanked wrasse (not for a small tank). Flasher wrasses are also good and many are smaller (hard to suggest fish not knowing your size). I don't think they have the same color variety as fairy wrasses, but are still beautiful and active. Fairies and flashers can cohabitat peacefully with other wrasses.

The sixline is also a good suggestion but can get aggressive depending on the specific fish.

Hammerstone

I am enjoying this thread very much!!! Thank you guys. It's for my 30 gallon reef tank. I have one blue reef chromis, two zebra barred dartfish and a firefish. I would like one more fish. My dartfish especially like to tunnel, any movement and hence the name, they dart in one of their holes. They are very shy but as long as you are stealth and don't move, or if you are feeding you can see them. They only come out when no one is near the tank.The fire fish is more bold but sometimes uses the bolt holes. That's why I need some movement up top.

Hammerstone

Leopard Wrasse

on Live Aquaria it says expert only. Wow, that is a dream fish!!!

I like fairy wrasses. You have a variety of species different sizes and are active, colorful, and peaceful. I really liked my solar wrasse (rip) and my current yellow flanked wrasse (not for a small tank). Flasher wrasses are also good and many are smaller (hard to suggest fish not knowing your size). I don't think they have the same color variety as fairy wrasses, but are still beautiful and active. Fairies and flashers can cohabitat peacefully with other wrasses.

The sixline is also a good suggestion but can get aggressive depending on the specific fish.

wow!! The solar and the yellow flank look incredible! All of you are showing me great fish!!!

Dwarf angels will swim all day going in and out of holes and crevices in the rock (I suggest the Pygmy angel) or wrasses are always nice. I love melanarus wrasse and six lines since they also eat many pests that may surface in the tank. Other options are dottybacks (might be too aggressive for your tank) and blennies

HarryPotter

Love my longnose hawk. I can't imagine having tank without one.

Yellow coris wrasse is another I always have to have. Great color and pest control

Any special needs or difficulties with that fish? It's very unique looking!

Any special needs or difficulties with that fish? It's very unique looking!

Hawks can go after ornamental shrimp so they are probably not recommended if you have cleaners, peppermints, or coral banded shrimp in your display. They may also go after hermits and some snails.

HarryPotter

California, about 45 minutes out from San Francisco in the East Bay

I would check out your local forums and post a WTB ad, at least locally for me there's always a few. Craigslist is also nice

Archived