Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

5 gallons. Only softies!

Mackerel

Finally made a light hanger. It is made from 1/2" copper tubing. I also spray painted it black to match the heat sink.

How was it drilling the copper? and what did you drill it with bro.

How was it drilling the copper? and what did you drill it with bro.

It was just like drilling a pvc pipe. Since the copper tube is pretty thin, I first drilled it with a standard twist drill bit. After the holes have been made, I used bolts and nuts to secure the hanging kit.

One hard part was making the elbows really tight on the tubes. I first applied some flux on the tubes and used a blow torch to solder the joints together.

It was just like drilling a pvc pipe. Since the copper tube is pretty thin, I first drilled it with a standard twist drill bit. After the holes have been made, I used bolts and nuts to secure the hanging kit.

One hard part was making the elbows really tight on the tubes. I first applied some flux on the tubes and used a blow torch to solder the joints together.

Dang thats alot of work! i drilled my conduit pipe and it was hard to drill it straight haha my light is slightly off centered haha

Dang thats alot of work! i drilled my conduit pipe and it was hard to drill it straight haha my light is slightly off centered haha

Haha I doubt anyone will notice that it's off centered but yourself. I tend to focus on the minor flaws in my diy projects as well. :P

We have a badass using cooper near a reef tank. Just kidding buddy nice and simple, good job. My alert always goes up when I see a reef and read cooper.

Yeah I was pretty paranoid before spray painting it. Mainly because my hands smelled like copper from handling the tubing. :scarry:

So I guess I AM a badass B)

Thank you for the compliment. I think It turned out great overall.

Ever since i saw this photo

243_zpsllrg1id1.jpg

I will never have cooper any where near my tank. This is what a little bit of copper does, the starfish is literally disintegrating. But great job on your light hanger

243_zpsllrg1id1.jpg

I will never have cooper any where my tank. This is what a little bit of copper does, the starfish is literally disintegrating. But great job on your light hanger

Wow that is very unfortunate. How did copper end up in this individual's system? I hope not from a diy copper tubing light kit xD

I am confident that I've made a sufficient attempt to avoid this problem. I applied three coats of spray paint for god's sake!

He bought a valve made out of brass, that had traces of copper and if I remember right the valve protective covering failed and some traces of cooper go into his system

HarryPotter

I bought a a valve made out of brass, that had traces of copper and if I remember right the valve protective covering failed and some traces of cooper go into his system

Haha don't keep freaking the OP out with scary stories! I think the light mount will be totally fine since its 1. Not in the tank & 2. Painted

I just like to protect my investment is all. Hate to have a tank get nuked because of something stupid. But Mackerel, you really have nothing to worry about since you painted your's.

Nice, I like the hanger

What light is that?

Thanks! I bought everything from rapidled.com including the heat sink and the hanging kit.

I have 6 solderless LEDs (3 cool white & 3 royal blue) on the heat sink and have them wired to one Mean Well ELN-60-27D dimmable driver.

NinjaReefer

243_zpsllrg1id1.jpg

I will never have cooper any where near my tank. This is what a little bit of copper does, the starfish is literally disintegrating. But great job on your light hanger

This is interesting. A few years ago I had the same thing happen to my starfish. He was healthy for over a year and growing, then one day wile he was on the front glass he just started to crumble apart like that wile he was still alive. It was really crazy. Legs where falling off and still moving. Went from normal looking to a pile of goo in a few hours.

I never did figure out what caused it. Everything tested normal and I didnt add anything. Now I wonder if I accidently introduced some kind of heavy metal some how, but I cant think how I would have...

The stand looked a bit plain so i pimped it out with some of my old bead sprites!

Link watching over the corals:

post-88736-0-50223600-1439099879_thumb.jpg

Some Pokemons on the side:

post-88736-0-29948800-1439099881_thumb.jpg

Noticing big transparent bug-like creatures on the glass. What should I do with them? I recently got a Trumpet frag with two small heads. Would my corals eat them?

Here is a picture. I've circled them with red since they are hard to see.

post-88736-0-10897200-1439693571_thumb.jpg

Noticing big transparent bug-like creatures on the glass. What should I do with them? I recently got a Trumpet frag with two small heads. Would my corals eat them?

attachicon.gif20150815_1942491.jpg

WOW big bugs!

Look like amphipods I think. Can irritate Zoas, but are not neccesarilt harmful. A wrasse would deal with them real quick ;)

These guys are harmless, like to hang out on the glass if it's dirty

I think they are a kinda of isopod

Also, the sprites are cool! Love the Link one

• 4 weeks later...

Those are copapods. They make good fish food. If you had a fish.

Archived