Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nitrates vs hermits

Hermitcrabs

Seems like you are doing this all wrong, but I don't fully understand your situation.

First off, you don't know what is shocking the hermits, it certainly isn't 40 nitrates. Second, you seem completely unprepared for some of these issues you're having, some of these posts just sound crazy. There is no effective nitrate removing sponge for saltwater, the best way to reduce nitrates in a smaller tank is with a water change. These nitrate sponges don't grow on trees so I don't understand why you are still out of salt but yet have these sponges? Do you have to get everything in the mail (live in a remote location)?

Have you provided larger shells for the hermits? They will outgrow old shells and need new ones, you can buy shells on ebay.

If you overdose Iodine you can kill hermits. Did you dose anything?

Get Salifert nitrate, phosphate, Alkalinity, and Calcium kits IMO.

Hermitcrabs

I put one dose of reef complete in but thats it. The alkilinity is high though. is that to worry about? what I read said it didnt. Btw I'm sorry it sounds crazy. I'm 14 and I'm trying. The only thing I ever put in there is one dose of reef complete at two different times. I do provide them shells. A ton of them. I will provide parameters soon

Lol you're 14, I'm still only 16.

A safe maximum alkalinity is like 12 dKH, don't exceed that.

A maximum pH is 8.5 don't exceed that.

Archived