Pod Your Reef

3.4g Desktop Reef - Now with Coral!

Break

Current FTS - 8/1/15

IMG_20150801_132118990.jpg

Tank Specs

• Established: 6/30/15
  • Display: CrystalVu 30cm x 18cm x 24.5cm (13.2L / 3.4 gallons)
  • Circulation: Aquaclear 70 w/ InTank mod - Filter floss, Purigen, Chemi-Pure Elite + Nano-Glo & Chaetomorph Refugium
  • Lighting: Coral Compulsion 35w PAR38 LED 18k TruColor
  • Heater: 25w Hydor Theo

Livestock

Cleaning Crew

• Dwarf Planaxis
  • Dwarf Cerith
  • Dwarf Cowrie
  • Florida Cerith
  • Nassarius Vibex
  • Lenny the Limpet

Corals

• Zoanthids
    • Rainbow Sakuras
    • Pastel Orange Rainbows
    • Pink Panthers
    • Pink Zippers
    • Red Velvets
    • Sunny-D's
    • Wild Eyes
    • Green Nebula
  • Ricordea
    • Orange Ricordea yuma
    • Ricordea yuma
    • Rainbow Ricordea florida
    • Green Ricordea florida
    • Blue Ricordea florida
    • Orange Ricordea florida
  • Sun Coral
  • Red Montipora Setosa
  • Superman Montipora
  • Ultra Acan Lord
  • Vivid's Rainbow Delight
  • Yellow/Purple Eco-Gorgonian
  • Blue Bali Sea Fan

History/About

Reef keeping has been a passion of mine for as long as I can remember; I bred fish as kid, have had dozens of tanks, and even worked in at a few local fish stores back in high school and college. Though I have been out of the hobby for a few years due to a demanding work schedule and living in an insanely expensive urban area, I recently decided to return to the hobby.

IMAG0889.jpg

For the past two years this 3.4g tank was a freshwater planted setup which housed a newt, named Sir Isaac Newton...until one fateful day he decided to test out his theory of gravity. Unfortunately, his hypothesis proved accurate and the tank stood empty for a long while.

I am now converting it into a pico reef tank -- I have never kept a reef tank this small before, especially not one I plan to house SPS in, so this should provide a fresh challenge. After having quite elaborate systems in the past, I am looking to keep this tank simple, minimalist and easy to maintain. This means no skimmer, controller, doser, etc. As I share a studio apartment with my girlfriend and our very large, very fluffy cat, the system must run quiet and have an extremely small footprint.

IMG_20150712_154843794_HDR1.jpg

The overall vibe of this tank is a volcanic Hawaiian/Pacific reef as mandated by my girlfriend, the chief designer. We wanted to keep the tank bright with an open feel since it's up near face level.

Full Set-up

IMG_20150725_201057799.jpg

The Aquaclear70 running with the impellers from the Aquaclear20 probably puts the return turnover between 100 and 200 gph depending on how the filter's flow adjuster is set.

I have a Koralia nano rated at 240gph that I will probably place in the bottom right of the tank, hidden behind the larger rock.

Between both of them, the tank should land between 70x and 100x turnover.

I did a water change and installed the Koralia Nano in the back right corner. Tank definitely needed more flow and I finally found the right angle for the Koralia such that it isn't too much for this tiny tank.

Corals have been ordered and should arrive next Saturday 8/1. Tank will pretty much be fully stocked at that point

I made an order from both Vivid Aquariums and Legendary Corals...probably went a little overboard, haha.

Thankfully, both are in California which means they won't have to ship very far. I have ordered from Vivid before for previous tanks and have visited their brick-and-mortar location as well. Always very pleased with their quality and health of their specimens.

Orders Include:

• Multiple Zoanthis (Hand picked by my girlfriend -- one of her favorites)
  • Sun Coral
  • Ricordea florida
  • Ricordea yuma
  • Montipora Setosa
  • Montipora Superman
  • Yellow Gorgonian
  • Rainbow Acan Lord
  • Vivid's Rainbow Acropora

Probably will only need to pick up one or two choice corals after this and maybe a fish.

Just changed out the filter media. Giving Chemi-Pure Blue a try over the usual Chemi-Pure Elite. My reefing instincts are pushing me to consider some GFO or something to keep phosphates in check, but I think the phosphate filter pads I'm already using are all I am going to need in this little tank.

Your tank is gonna be awesome! I just visited Vivid for the first time earlier in the month, great store with quite the selection.

No, I'd use it on anything from 2 to 20 gallons.

That being said, running this light at 100% on my tank would be overkill given the distance from the tank to the light. Fortunately, the goose neck makes it extremely easy to adjust the angle and I was sure to purchase the dimmable bulb and the corresponding dimmer. It will be running in the 60%-80% range. I do wish the bulb had a wider spread, but that's only because I'm used to halides.

Corals have arrived :)

IMG_20150801_132118990.jpg

• Zoanthids
    • Rainbow Sakuras
    • Pastel Orange Rainbows
    • Pink Panthers
    • Pink Zippers
    • Red Velvets
    • Sunny-D's
    • Wild Eyes
    • Green Nebula
  • Ricordea
    • Orange Ricordea yuma
    • Ricordea yuma
    • Rainbow Ricordea florida
    • Green Ricordea florida
    • Blue Ricordea florida
    • Orange Ricordea florida
  • Sun Coral
  • Red Montipora Setosa
  • Superman Montipora
  • Ultra Acan Lord
  • Vivid's Rainbow Delight
  • Yellow/Purple Eco-Gorgonian
  • Blue Bali Sea Fan

I received the Blue Bali Sea Fan due to a miscommunication, but it looks great in the tank. Keeping it alive in the long-term will be the challenge -- time to stock up on plankton, lol.

And here is Lenny the Limpet checking out the Montiporas, he is definitely the most adventurous little limpet I have ever encountered. And for now, he is king of the jungle

IMG_20150801_140706651_HDR.jpg

I am going to perform a water change later tonight, I will post more photos after the corals settle in and open up.

Archived