Coral Vue Hydros

Weird idea for sump material

temet vince

temet vince

First off, I'd use a sock so this wouldn't become a detritus trap.

What if you filled your sump with leca? This material is used for semi-hydroponic plant setups because it's super porous.

Here's a link to read about it: http://firstrays.com/semi-hydroponic-culture/sh-detailed-information/primeagra/

It's $20 for 5 pounds worth. I'm thinking this would be way cheaper than MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia.

post-65663-0-62988500-1437859990.gif

Dude this is a great idea! The material because it is just inert clay wouldn't hurt anything, I definitely will keep this in mind.

HarryPotter

First off, I'd use a sock so this wouldn't become a detritus trap.

What if you filled your sump with leca? This material is used for semi-hydroponic plant setups because it's super porous.

Here's a link to read about it: http://firstrays.com/semi-hydroponic-culture/sh-detailed-information/primeagra/

It's $20 for 5 pounds worth. I'm thinking this would be way cheaper than MarinePure Ceramic Biomedia.

I dont understand why anyone would want to fill their sump with this... Can someone explain? Am I just missing something?

Looks cool, however no idea what it's composed of which is a huge problem for me.

the name says it all Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate its just heated clay.

I dont understand why anyone would want to fill their sump with this... Can someone explain? Am I just missing something?

a cheaper alternative to commonly used ceramic sump media.
HarryPotter

the name says it all Lightweight Expanded Clay Aggregate its just heated clay. a cheaper alternative to commonly used ceramic sump media.

.... Why would anyone have ceramic (tiles?) in their sump...

Many people use expanded ceramic materials for biofilteration in sumps, not tiles.

.... Why would anyone have ceramic (tiles?) in their sump...

It's like adding extra live rock into the sump. Unless you have next to no live rock in the display, I honestly don't see the point. It just traps detritus and typically there is more than enough space for bacteria in the display tank and sand. OP, yes, it would be a good substitute for those who want to run ceramic media in their sumps.

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This is brilliant! I have loads of this stuff because I'm a hydroponic gardener. (My member title should tell you why ;).)

To be honest, yes it is a cool suggestion but you can get dead live rock off of craigslist for far cheaper to throw in your sump, and in regards to collecting detritus, all you would have to do is throw this stuff in a large mesh bag and occasionally shake it off and that problems solved. It has the porous surface for pop production, live organisms to live and bacteria to grow but there is far cheaper alternatives.

temet vince

Yep works for me..

Thanks for chiming in. I'm glad to see someone post that has tried it and it didn't destroy their tank.

To be honest, yes it is a cool suggestion but you can get dead live rock off of craigslist for far cheaper to throw in your sump...

I think the surface area of leca would be exponentially greater than just live rock. This stuff is made so that water absorbs inside of it too, in addition to having more surface area per volume to start with. But you are correct, I suspect dead live rock would be even cheaper!

As for the financial side, I ended up buying a bag for my plants and had way too much left over, so it was simply sitting around the house. Although I should note I didn't use leca; I used Glowstone. I'm a bit worried about the pH because it's recycled material, but my tank is cycling with 3 crabs so it's not a huge deal if this goes horribly wrong.

I'll be everyone's guinea pig (and my poor volunteer hermits)! Thanks to all who has commented thus far. I suspect I'll also end up starting a tank thread soon.

EDIT: Tank thread started. http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/364120-emmetts-rimless-10g-cube/

Archived