ReefCleaners.org

300g Brackish Cichlid tank: new pump

HarryPotter

Sorry...... Thought I read something about brackish water. Some snails and crabs may be able to tolerate it.

Looks like I stand corrected as there are brackish water snails available. As a matter of fact some of the "reef" snails will live in this environment. Dwarf cerith, nassarius and nerite snails, just to name a few.

http://snailsbymail.tripod.com/Brackish/sbm_brackish.htm

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

Yeah it runs at 1.001, not really enough sadly

So it's pretty much fresh. As said, all that sand needs to come out man, scrub everything and replace.. Other than that it's a very long n slow process.

HarryPotter

So it's pretty much fresh. As said, all that sand needs to come out man, scrub everything and replace.. Other than that it's a very long n slow process.

All 700 lbs? Thats just not realistic for me at the moment. I don't even have NEARLY enough containers for that.... :(

Nassarius snails are very good at cleaning substrate as they remain buried underneath, until the smell food and they pop out.

I'd still buy from John @ Reef-Cleaners though since he is a N-R sponsor!!

HarryPotter
On 7/26/2015 at 2:59 PM, basser1 said:

Nassarius snails are very good at cleaning substrate as they remain buried underneath, until the smell food and they pop out.

I'd still buy from John @ Reef-Cleaners though since he is a N-R sponsor!!

Yeah I love reef cleaners :)

I believe you, but I am still concerned regarding taking invertebrates from 1.025 to 1.01.

my fresh water tank has some snails that have naturally come in and they are pretty awesome, maybe I'll dump a bunch in?

5261438C-9402-4E29-ACCA-8BF7C212BD47_zps

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

All 700 lbs? Thats just not realistic for me at the moment. I don't even have NEARLY enough containers for that.... :(

It's defo more that a tea cup granted lol. But mate, if you don't I rekon its gonna take forever to get it clean

Murphs_Reef

Yeah I love reef cleaners :)

I believe you, but I am still concerned regarding taking invertebrates from 1.025 to 1.01.

my fresh water tank has some snails that have naturally come in and they are pretty awesome, maybe I'll dump a bunch in?

1.01 or 1.001?

HarryPotter

My bad! I just glanced over the photo haha :P

Looks better than before

"Before"? Dude I've only uploaded pictures of it once! Of the nastiness and algae issue

On 7/27/2015 at 9:14 AM, Harryjsinger said:

"Before"? Dude I've only uploaded pictures of it once! Of the nastiness and algae issue

This

is not the same tank as this one?

IMG_0111_zpswvi4wmzn.jpg

HarryPotter
On 7/27/2015 at 9:16 AM, kirbaay said:

This

is not the same tank as this one?

IMG_0111_zpswvi4wmzn.jpg

Nope.. The top is a 75 gallon freshwater and the below if the 300g cichlids tank I'm struggling with

Nope.. The top is a 75 gallon freshwater and the below if the 300g cichlids tank I'm struggling with

LOL ooooh i see. Sorry about the mix up. So you are struggling with algae?

HarryPotter
On 7/27/2015 at 9:18 AM, kirbaay said:

LOL ooooh i see. Sorry about the mix up. So you are struggling with algae?

Right. First post shows recent pictures of the 300g and explains what I'm struggling with

DC838F28-0D47-4AF6-92A2-851B1E76BF93_zps

HarryPotter

I see. what is your lighting schedule?

Minimal recently to help with the algae, like from 8pm-11pm every night. It's 8x 24w ATI T5s

If it's 1.001 then go with freshwater snails they should be grand. 1.01 is a different story. Freshwater is 1.000

I'll check with the refractometer today when I get home.

I've been doing it pretty randomly; just few scoops of salt when I do a large water change or when the fish don't look great

Minimal recently to help with the algae, like from 8pm-11pm every night. It's 8x 24w ATI T5s

I'll check with the refractometer today when I get home.

I've been doing it pretty randomly; just few scoops of salt when I do a large water change or when the fish don't look great

Dang 8x? maybe take out 2 of them or even 4. I am sure the tank will still be pretty bright

HarryPotter

Dang 8x? maybe take out 2 of them or even 4. I am sure the tank will still be pretty bright

It's a 8 foot tank, so two sets of 4 24" T5s. Sure, I'll change that out

It's a 8 foot tank, so two sets of 4 24" T5s. Sure, I'll change that out

i see well it was just a suggestion! Since algae grows from light and it seems that all your other parameters are in balance

• Like 1
HarryPotter

i see well it was just a suggestion! Since algae grows from light and it seems that all your other parameters are in balance

Agreed.

Sure ill do that..

No idea if my parameters are in balance BTW. Ive never tested any parameter in a freshwater tank except temperature. Ive never had any trouble either until the JBJ Heater incident :(