SaltCritters.com

In Amber Clad

jedimasterben

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
righttirefire

Do you ever stare at your baby. Trying to see her grow? I do that to my corals... does she have a prom date yet... if not, SOON!

Marc.The.Shark

Aww, precious! Don't you just want to start teaching her to clean the glass on your tank ;) Cause before long it's gonna b a handprinted mess! Lol. I think mine still has bananna on it! Ha

jedimasterben

Aww, precious! Don't you just want to start teaching her to clean the glass on your tank ;) Cause before long it's gonna b a handprinted mess! Lol. I think mine still has bananna on it! Ha

I've seen what kids do to tanks, she won't be going near it if I have to build a wire fence around it! :D

jedimaster1138

Hey Benny - ps good pictures, hah hah you spawned! - what kind of enclosure and where did you get it, do you like to put the 48v DC power supplies in? IE so it doesn't get wet and burn the house down when I shove it under the tank stand. You know I'm talking about these PSU's. http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/power-supplies/

I'm thinking about re-doing some of my nano tank lighting. Maybe.

jedimasterben

Hey Benny - ps good pictures, hah hah you spawned! - what kind of enclosure and where did you get it, do you like to put the 48v DC power supplies in? IE so it doesn't get wet and burn the house down when I shove it under the tank stand. You know I'm talking about these PSU's. http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/power-supplies/

I'm thinking about re-doing some of my nano tank lighting. Maybe.

Haha thanks! She is pretty awesome :)

I actually don't like enclosing those power supplies, even ventilated they usually don't last too long. I would consider swapping the power supply for an HLG or CLG that are IP65 or IP67. What's the wattage like on the nano?

jedimaster1138

Haha thanks! She is pretty awesome :)

I actually don't like enclosing those power supplies, even ventilated they usually don't last too long. I would consider swapping the power supply for an HLG or CLG that are IP65 or IP67. What's the wattage like on the nano?

Baseball post season has me busy.

OK I'm glad I asked. Where can I get one of those Meanwells?

There's less than 24 diodes total. Or maybe 24. I forget and I'm not home right now. 2 channels. It's a bunch of older chips too. I'm thinking about changing things around a bunch adding a bunch more of the shorter wavelengths which is where the array is lacking. As it's a zoanthid tank, well, you know. I was thinking about a nano-nox v3, but that might be more $ than I want to spend given that i already have a bunch of LEDs to reuse. So re-use 3 or 4 of my Rebel NW's and then fill in with the RB's etc.

I also want to completely de-couple this tank from the Apex, so some semblance of control would be nice. Does LEDGroupBuy still have that 5 channel Maker's controller / driver party that I can jam some LDD 700's into? I was looking for it the other day but it seems to not be on the site anymore. It was nice because it fit on the Maker's Heatsink so neatly and I happen to have a Maker's heatsink in the closet. heh

jedimasterben

Baseball post season has me busy.

OK I'm glad I asked. Where can I get one of those Meanwells?

There's less than 24 diodes total. Or maybe 24. I forget and I'm not home right now. 2 channels. It's a bunch of older chips too. I'm thinking about changing things around a bunch adding a bunch more of the shorter wavelengths which is where the array is lacking. As it's a zoanthid tank, well, you know. I was thinking about a nano-nox v3, but that might be more $ than I want to spend given that i already have a bunch of LEDs to reuse. So re-use 3 or 4 of my Rebel NW's and then fill in with the RB's etc.

I also want to completely de-couple this tank from the Apex, so some semblance of control would be nice. Does LEDGroupBuy still have that 5 channel Maker's controller / driver party that I can jam some LDD 700's into? I was looking for it the other day but it seems to not be on the site anymore. It was nice because it fit on the Maker's Heatsink so neatly and I happen to have a Maker's heatsink in the closet. heh

If at full tilt, 24x LEDs would pull around 75 watts, so an HLG-80H-48 would be perfect, they're sold all over, Allied Elec, Jameco, OnlineComponents, Mouser, and tons more. Normally on a power supply you'd want to add at least 20% to the wattage for overhead, but the HLG's main design is as an LED driver, so it is made to run at 100% duty and still be ultra efficient.

They do still sell the MakersDriver, yes, and I actually have one if you're really interested in it. I only have the manual dimming bit for it, so you'd have to get the MakersController if you wanted it automated.

So I forgot, I tested alkalinity the other day and it had dropped to around 7dKH since the last test. I think I tested it on Sunday? Maybe Monday. I can't remember, I REALLY need to start writing this shit down!

jedimaster1138

If at full tilt, 24x LEDs would pull around 75 watts, so an HLG-80H-48 would be perfect, they're sold all over, Allied Elec, Jameco, OnlineComponents, Mouser, and tons more. Normally on a power supply you'd want to add at least 20% to the wattage for overhead, but the HLG's main design is as an LED driver, so it is made to run at 100% duty and still be ultra efficient.

They do still sell the MakersDriver, yes, and I actually have one if you're really interested in it. I only have the manual dimming bit for it, so you'd have to get the MakersController if you wanted it automated.

So I forgot, I tested alkalinity the other day and it had dropped to around 7dKH since the last test. I think I tested it on Sunday? Maybe Monday. I can't remember, I REALLY need to start writing this shit down!

I used to keep an excel sheet with all my parameters. Then I realized that the only thing I really need to track is dKH which is easy enough to remember. On the other hand the really important thing in that file is when I change bulbs. That I can't remember, but that's also because I'm getting old.

PS I haven't tested for PO4 in a while, and don't think I care to. Screw it. Can't fight it, might as well ignore it.

Good man. Yeah I was figuring on a 100w for headroom. OK cool. How did i forget about Mouser, I'm a terrible engineer. I have a 2000 page catalog on my desk at work that's at least 15 years old.

Let me see how I actually want to go ahead with this. I really don't *need* 5 channels, but I'm also a jerk, so, there's that. Right now i'ts a mess though with 2 drivers, each with separate AC plugs, and a fan PSU and plug. Oh and a wire around a bunch of baseboard through a wall to the Apex in another room. Yeah, it's a kludge. It's something like 4 years old. The spectrum is wonky too. The BML strip i have on my big reef is a mix of 405nm and 450nm and the zoanthids glow oh so well i could nearly read by their fluorescence. In the nano, the lowest I go is 420, and it's just...well you know.

The reality is that I also like to tinker. An excuse to get out the soldering station...

Just gotta figure out the money component. Stupid money.

jedimasterben

Went to a pumpkin patch today. Got some good ones, but I REALLY want a full frame camera!

IMG_3345.jpg

IMG_3401.jpg

IMG_3412.jpg

IMG_3437.jpg

IMG_3504.jpg

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

IMG_3627.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3699.jpg

IMG_3718.jpg

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

jedimasterben

So who's the other couple and the little boy? Looks like he's going over the fence into the water

They're some close friends of ours. That's little Odin. Possibly the happiest baby on the planet. I just wish I could be as happy about anything as he is about the pumpkins.

Archived