Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pico rebuild- nano box edition

patback

My 3.5 bow front went about a year with no water changes and a friedmani psuedochromis living in its 4" dsb. Unless it is in a rock crevice somewhere, the fish seems to have jumped yesterday as I fed it the day before and it was missing today, which sucks because it was my scheduled overhaul day.

Any way, I wanted to take pictures of the process but it was so filthy that it wasn't worth it. Here it is like new with a 30 second rock scape.

69A52548-C365-4DA1-A328-277616446F51.jpg

Current picture updates.

340BC151-E4B3-4C41-9C92-F6DA8E1FE257.jpg

851206F0-1A0E-4547-9954-70A4CCAF0787.jpg

All I did was peel the sheets of green algae off the rocks, rinse the sand bed and pull out the 16 frag plugs the friedmani commandeered for her burrow under all the rock work, fill it with all new water and shake the rocks underwater to loosen debris. I also hooked up the rkl and put in my better heater. I wanted to use my jbj auto, but it will be too cluttered with the floats in there. The pico used to run with just the heater and a power head.

I will be picking up some nice cheap Zoas and mushrooms to make sure they will survive and after that more than likely be purchasing from Glenn at cga.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm following buddy and have the pleasure of first post!

Thanks! The store I went to and almost bought the cube.... I used to love them although they were expensive and they started to hire some real dumbasses that turned me off to them and onto another store. I wound up stopping by there as the "replacement" store does t have much in terms of dry goods and I saw that none of the pompous people were there anymore (at least During the hour I was there) and their frag prices were cut down to a 1/3rd of what they used to be and easily 10x healthier looking.

I really can't wait to stop by there on my way home tomorrow and drop a zoa or two in.

HarryPotter

Thanks! The store I went to and almost bought the cube.... I used to love them although they were expensive and they started to hire some real dumbasses that turned me off to them and onto another store. I wound up stopping by there as the "replacement" store does t have much in terms of dry goods and I saw that none of the pompous people were there anymore (at least During the hour I was there) and their frag prices were cut down to a 1/3rd of what they used to be and easily 10x healthier looking.

I really can't wait to stop by there on my way home tomorrow and drop a zoa or two in.

I don't see a filter in the tank?

Awesome about the LFS. Two near me are complete crap- the employees in one won't even let me buy shit because the owner is not there

I don't see a filter in the tank? Awesome about the LFS. Two near me are complete crap- the employees in one won't even let me buy shit because the owner is not there

in all the time I've had a tank, I think I used a filter for maybe 4 months, not including whe. I would run floss or a filter sock just to polish water up and then take it out of line again.

This place is hot and cold. Right now they're hot, so I'll enjoy them for the time being.

What is the point of having workers if they they won't sell without you being present? Stupid.

anybody have an idea of the best light i could do with this tank? i originally had a coralife 2 bulb t5 set up, but at even just 8 hours a day, the bulbs burnt out every 2 or so months, that fixture was crap. now i have some led set up i used to use for a fuge light, but it is just whites and a blue.... nothing spectacular. it kept stuff alive but i never saw growth with it when it was above my frags in the old sump.

anybody have an idea of the best light i could do with this tank? i originally had a coralife 2 bulb t5 set up, but at even just 8 hours a day, the bulbs burnt out every 2 or so months, that fixture was crap. now i have some led set up i used to use for a fuge light, but it is just whites and a blue.... nothing spectacular. it kept stuff alive but i never saw growth with it when it was above my frags in the old sump.

What kinda dough we talkin?

What kinda dough we talkin?

meh, its a pico so i dont want to spend 500 or anything extravagant.... just looking for what people consider a good bang for my buck so to speak. i hate spending money but will always pay extra for quality.

meh, its a pico so i dont want to spend 500 or anything extravagant.... just looking for what people consider a good bang for my buck so to speak. i hate spending money but will always pay extra for quality.

I'm a nano bot lol so you know I'll say tide,but I hear good things about the ai prime @ 2hundo

I'm a nano bot lol so you know I'll say tide,but I hear good things about the ai prime @ 2hundo

gonna have to research them both side by side. i do like the controllability that ai seems to have with the wifi app, but at a glance it seems the nanobox has more spectrum. wish i didnt have to be up in 5 hours and could compare the two. lol

also, i moved the pico next to my bed. i should definitely keep up on water changes and maintenance as long as i continue sleeping home every night. i like having a full view as im laying down.

gonna have to research them both side by side. i do like the controllability that ai seems to have with the wifi app, but at a glance it seems the nanobox has more spectrum. wish i didnt have to be up in 5 hours and could compare the two. lol

also, i moved the pico next to my bed. i should definitely keep up on water changes and maintenance as long as i continue sleeping home every night. i like having a full view as im laying down.

I have really good WiFi control with the blue fish mini and love it's coloring in my corals for sure. The recommended by evanski is good too and honestly I'm an ass hat for not thinking of that one

Definitely need a new light. Added a branching monti and a large play frag to test the waters along with two snails. Colors looked great in the store, like doo-doo at home.

Definitely need a new light. Added a branching monti and a large play frag to test the waters along with two snails. Colors looked great in the store, like doo-doo at home.

I'd go NanoBox, pattycakes. The color they put out in person is pretty awesome.

I took a halfway decent picture in raw of the paly but don't have a way of uploading it right now. With the lighting the month just looks like rock with green polyps. Lol.

But in the mean time, here is a cell phone picture of the polyps.

4A00D4B3-F7CB-4668-ADC6-9C45ADF6523C_2.j

3F206043-4D33-49FB-BCCE-7729E12EE5FC.jpg

Nanobox it is. Just placed my order for an all black unit.

What?

Big Baller!!

Can't wait for you to get it and see the difference.

Just start the intensity way low.

You still engaged?

What?

Big Baller!!

Can't wait for you to get it and see the difference.

Just start the intensity way low.

You still engaged?

Lol. The pico is the only tank I'm having for awhile so I am gonna get what I want for it.

Yup, she hasn't wise-end up yet.

If you want to talk about ballin', the nanobox will become a fudge light when I get my big tank. :)

I'd go NanoBox, pattycakes. The color they put out in person is pretty awesome.

I second this. I love the colors I get in my biocube with the NB retro. And honestly, while everything is still pretty new, I got a lot better growth with the NB than the stock BC lighting (which is to be expected, but it was better than I thought it would be).

Nanobox it is. Just placed my order for an all black unit.

I'm late to the party! Woo!! Can't wait to see what you think.

I second this. I love the colors I get in my biocube with the NB retro. And honestly, while everything is still pretty new, I got a lot better growth with the NB than the stock BC lighting (which is to be expected, but it was better than I thought it would be).

I can't wait to get it. If what you and everyone else says is true, I may adjust my stocking plans. I originally just got the monti knowing that my light wouldn't support sps and montis are the easiest.... I more or less wanted to get a cheap frag to test my water so to speak. I skipped the rainbow monti because it was more money and now wish I hadn't!

I can't wait to get it. If what you and everyone else says is true, I may adjust my stocking plans. I originally just got the monti knowing that my light wouldn't support sps and montis are the easiest.... I more or less wanted to get a cheap frag to test my water so to speak. I skipped the rainbow monti because it was more money and now wish I hadn't!

It is good that you're getting it in the beginning as you can start out on the right foot. I'm STILL ramping my light up. I started it at 35% intensity for whites and bleached the crap out of some of my frags (monti caps to be exact). So went down to 29% and am now up to 39%. My goal is about 50/60% for whites and not sure about blues yet. I ramp those up with the whites and right now I've got those at 50%.

Yeah, as of right now with just the two new frags, it shouldn't be a problem at all to get them adjusted being that the lfs had them under very high light also.

Archived