Innovative Marine Aquariums

blkhwkz JBJ RL-45

blkhwkz

I swear I am having bad luck with my tanks the last week and a half. Bought a blue scoly during a live sale Saturday night. I have enough greens and oranges, etc and wanted something blue. To make the shipping worth it I decided to order 1 or 2 more things and somehow ended up with 8 pieces :) They are closed Mondays and were going to ship today. I get a call there is a problem with my order, I said as long as it's not the scoly. Turns out someone knocked over my scoly and it was upside down all day yesterday when they were closed and is damaged. Can't be sent out as it would arrive DOA. He said they have a stash of others and would send me a blue and red one and some extras for my troubles. Now they text me that they only have 1 other scoly in stock, it is more expensive than the one I bought, but they will send it to me. It's green and orange, exactly what I didn't want. I have enough green and orange in the tank. Oh well, if I hate it I will just trade it at the LFS. Now I am more interested to see what the extra stuff they throw in is.

Damn sounds trouble some. I'm in your same boat... My lawnmower blenny decided to jump out yesterday and I found him toasted on the wood floors. That jawfish is a beautiful fish, sorry for your loss... Makes me wonder what it could be?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn sounds trouble some. I'm in your same boat... My lawnmower blenny decided to jump out yesterday and I found him toasted on the wood floors. That jawfish is a beautiful fish, sorry for your loss... Makes me wonder what it could be?

Only thing I can figure with jawfish is they like the tank colder. LiveAquaria says 72-78, but I have since read people saying closer to 72 is better. Mine stays around 77-78 usually. Slight variations happen, but no major swings.

I know the pic of the scoly they sent was just a quick cell phone pic to give me an idea, but I really don't like it. Was funny they told me this one is much nicer, but I find coral to be more of a personal choice. There are plenty that I can say look fine, just aren't for me and this one appears to be in that category. Really only because I want more of a variety of colors. That said, they did their best to make it right and things happen so I'll get it tomorrow and see how I feel once it is in the tank. I might see it under the lights and love it. Definitely appreciative they didn't just call and say oh well, sending the rest and we will refund that one. Worst case I am sure they will do another live sale soon and I can get another one I like and sell this one. At least it wasn't some super expensive master scoly they killed.

Only thing I can figure with jawfish is they like the tank colder. LiveAquaria says 72-78, but I have since read people saying closer to 72 is better. Mine stays around 77-78 usually. Slight variations happen, but no major swings.

I know the pic of the scoly they sent was just a quick cell phone pic to give me an idea, but I really don't like it. Was funny they told me this one is much nicer, but I find coral to be more of a personal choice. There are plenty that I can say look fine, just aren't for me and this one appears to be in that category. Really only because I want more of a variety of colors. That said, they did their best to make it right and things happen so I'll get it tomorrow and see how I feel once it is in the tank. I might see it under the lights and love it. Definitely appreciative they didn't just call and say oh well, sending the rest and we will refund that one. Worst case I am sure they will do another live sale soon and I can get another one I like and sell this one. At least it wasn't some super expensive master scoly they killed.

Yea most definitely, always good to have good customer service. Make sure to post up pics when you get the scoly! I'd love one, any color! lol they're bright but I cant justify paying that much for one. I buy all my corals 1 head and let them grow lol.

That's odd, didn't know jawfish were better off in colder water, I was looking at them but again... 90$ for that fish is steep lol

Yea most definitely, always good to have good customer service. Make sure to post up pics when you get the scoly! I'd love one, any color! lol they're bright but I cant justify paying that much for one. I buy all my corals 1 head and let them grow lol.

That's odd, didn't know jawfish were better off in colder water, I was looking at them but again... 90$ for that fish is steep lol

I do the same thing, buy small frags and let them grow usually. The scoly was a really good deal (as far as scoly prices go.) Same with the jawfish, my LFS hooks me up since i go there a lot. Got it for 40% off, I bought a lot of stuff that day so he kept discounting things. Still the most expensive fish I have bought though.

Corals came about 90 minutes ago. Was in the middle of my usual water change Wednesday, so acclimated and dipped them. The scoly is nice, just not what I was looking for. I'll give it a few days to see how I feel. However, they included 7 freebie frags for the issue. Can't complain about that kind of customer service. 5 were zoas, and 2 I still have to look at later and figure out what they sent. Put the zoas in frag rack in my other tank to see what they are. The rest of today's haul is in a frag rack in this tank, except the scoly is on the bottom of the tank. Need to watch it and see if it will need to be moved to a shaded area instead of center. It's about 24.5" from the Radion to the sandbed so might be ok. I'll try and get some pics up later once things aren't so pissed off and start opening and looking better.

Today's arrivals:

• Scoly
  • 5 Misc Zoas
  • 2 frags I haven't had a chance to ID yet
  • Rainbow Smite
  • Aussie Slimer
  • Grinch Acan
  • Super Freak Tort
  • Fairy Godmother Palys
  • Blue Galaxies
  • Fruit Punch Palys

Some of these might get traded off or moved to my other tank. Accidentally bought more than I should have plus all the free stuff. Once everything is happy and I mount it, time to just sit back and let things grow. Probably add a few more fish and that's it.

That's one sick pack sir... Keep the scoly, maybe it'll grow onto you. Also, I love seeing a bunch of scoly's in a tank. It'll add color diversity when you add more =) Can't wait for photos.

Quick cell phone pic of the Scoly, set the Radion to 14k for the picture. Try and get better ones another day.

WP_20150930_18_49_31_Pro__highres.jpg

Blue would have looked better next to all the other green stuff, but it's still nice.

Had a six line wrasse in another tank that was getting to be a bully, traded him to one of the LFS tonight for a Mandarin. Unfortunately they only had one and it wasn't looking to good so he should have more next week for me to pick from. Mandarin going in this tank since I seeded it with a lot of pods from keydiver after I got back from MACNA.

Quick cell phone pic of the Scoly, set the Radion to 14k for the picture. Try and get better ones another day.

WP_20150930_18_49_31_Pro__highres.jpg

Blue would have looked better next to all the other green stuff, but it's still nice.

Had a six line wrasse in another tank that was getting to be a bully, traded him to one of the LFS tonight for a Mandarin. Unfortunately they only had one and it wasn't looking to good so he should have more next week for me to pick from. Mandarin going in this tank since I seeded it with a lot of pods from keydiver after I got back from MACNA.

Unless you have a steady supply of pods cultured for your mandarin, i'd advised against it. Mandarins will wipe out pods faster than you know it. No matter how many you pumped into your tank.

As far as the scoly, looks a little stressed, but all in all... that thing can be nice. I love it actually, nice and bright red/pink. Looks great. Solid choice on the leather, Mine was just a wee bit bigger when I got it, now its a monster... and the torch looks amazing.

Unless you have a steady supply of pods cultured for your mandarin, i'd advised against it. Mandarins will wipe out pods faster than you know it. No matter how many you pumped into your tank.

As far as the scoly, looks a little stressed, but all in all... that thing can be nice. I love it actually, nice and bright red/pink. Looks great. Solid choice on the leather, Mine was just a wee bit bigger when I got it, now its a monster... and the torch looks amazing.

The leather has almost doubled in size since I got it. Crazy how fast those things grow. Not sure where I am going to have room for it when it gets like your giant one, gives me an excuse for a tank upgrade. Hoping the scoly looks better in next few days, it was definitely super stressed when it got here. Gave it a 5 minute bayer dip and a rinse and put it in before I messed with any of the other corals in the box this morning. Picked up some oyster feast tonight to work into the food rotation.

For the mandarin I was really thinking about culturing pods for it, doesn't appear to be the most complex thing to do. Figured I could try and get it on frozen foods too and buy a bottle of arcti pods to supplement for now if it ran through all the pods in the tank. Maybe I need to re-think the idea out. Really love the look of those fish though.

The leather has almost doubled in size since I got it. Crazy how fast those things grow. Not sure where I am going to have room for it when it gets like your giant one, gives me an excuse for a tank upgrade. Hoping the scoly looks better in next few days, it was definitely super stressed when it got here. Gave it a 5 minute bayer dip and a rinse and put it in before I messed with any of the other corals in the box this morning. Picked up some oyster feast tonight to work into the food rotation.

For the mandarin I was really thinking about culturing pods for it, doesn't appear to be the most complex thing to do. Figured I could try and get it on frozen foods too and buy a bottle of arcti pods to supplement for now if it ran through all the pods in the tank. Maybe I need to re-think the idea out. Really love the look of those fish though.

Definitely a cool fish, I'd get the constant supply going first. And make sure its a stable supply, then pick up the fish. I'm all about the mandarin, but make sure you can sustain before just hoping it'll survive. Eventually... I plan on getting one once I get my pods going in sump. I'll also setup a 10g to culture them. It's not hard at all, lots of guides.

Fed the scoly last night, that was fun to see, it was very fat and happy. Today it was looking a little unhappy with the amount of light it was getting. Decided to move it under some rock work so it is in the shade. Running the lights on coral radiance program @ 65% brightness. Since there is bunch of newer coral in there now I dropped it back to 45% with a 4 week acclimation to 65%. Scoly is really looking unhappy from being moved, but I think it will be better off where it is now as they don't need a lot of light. Going to keep my hands out of the tank for a few days and let everything acclimate.

Scoly looked good last night (feeding tentacles were fully extended,) but today it is looking not so happy again. Kind of how it looked yesterday after I moved it to shade it from the light. Not sure if I need to just leave it be and see what happens or what to do. I need to check water parameters this afternoon, but everything should be good as I did my water change Wednesday before the coral package arrived.

WP_20151002_13_04_27_Pro.jpg

That scoly does look pretty pissed, is it a little bleached/beat up in spots or what's up with the lighter parts? Hopefully the shade helps, anything picking on it? Did you order from aquasd? I bought a few things too and was very close to grabbing one of the blue scolys actually, already have a green/red one and wanted a blue/purple one but passed. Spent enough already lol.

That scoly does look pretty pissed, is it a little bleached/beat up in spots or what's up with the lighter parts? Hopefully the shade helps, anything picking on it? Did you order from aquasd? I bought a few things too and was very close to grabbing one of the blue scolys actually, already have a green/red one and wanted a blue/purple one but passed. Spent enough already lol.

Yea I bought a blue/purple from AquaSD and someone knocked it over on Sunday. They are closed Monday and so they found it Tuesday in bad shape upside down. This is my replacement one that they said was much nicer anyway (I am ordering another blue one next sale.) Those lighter spots have been like that since I got it Wednesday. Might be from shipping as I don't see those spots in the pic they text me. Got home tonight and noticed it was looking better again and the spikes are covered again. Haven't seen anything bothering it, but the fish do like swimming through that cave area.

Fed the scoly last night, that was fun to see, it was very fat and happy. Today it was looking a little unhappy with the amount of light it was getting. Decided to move it under some rock work so it is in the shade. Running the lights on coral radiance program @ 65% brightness. Since there is bunch of newer coral in there now I dropped it back to 45% with a 4 week acclimation to 65%. Scoly is really looking unhappy from being moved, but I think it will be better off where it is now as they don't need a lot of light. Going to keep my hands out of the tank for a few days and let everything acclimate.

I think 65% is too high. How high is the radion above water and how deep is is ur tank. I have a radion on an RMS on an 18 inch deep tank and at 60% it was bleaching the encrusting monti's in the middle of the tank. I now run it at 45% and I have SPS growing at the bottom 3/4 of the tank.

BTW - I love aquaSD frags. They really have some nice pieces.

I think 65% is too high. How high is the rasion above water and how deep is is ur tank. I have a radion on an RMS on an 18 inch deep tank and at 60% it was blocking encrusting monti's in the middle of the tank. I now run it at 45% and I have SPS growing at the bottom 3/4 of the tank.

BTW - I love aquaSD frags. They really have some nice pieces.

I brought it down to 45% before changing the program today. It's on an RMS mount so about 24.5" to the sandbed. Now I am on a program I grabbed from someone else and have it on 25% with a 4 week acclimation to 45%.

This was my first order with them I was really excited for the blue scoly, when they called Tuesday and said there was a problem with part of my order, I was hoping it was one of the other 7 pieces. Pretty impressed with their stuff though so definitely want to get a blue scoly from them at some point. Their customer service and how they handled things was above and beyond so I have nothing but nice things to say about them.

I brought it down to 45% before changing the program today. It's on an RMS mount so about 24.5" to the sandbed. Now I am on a program I grabbed from someone else and have it on 25% with a 4 week acclimation to 45%.

This was my first order with them I was really excited for the blue scoly, when they called Tuesday and said there was a problem with part of my order, I was hoping it was one of the other 7 pieces. Pretty impressed with their stuff though so definitely want to get a blue scoly from them at some point. Their customer service and how they handled things was above and beyond so I have nothing but nice things to say about them.

Hope things look better soon. Do post a pic/link of the blue scoly.

Scoly been looking better the last 2 days. I need to watch the white spot on it in the front, but other than that looks to be doing much better than it was. At night it's really fat and happy. Chunk of shrimp from the Rod's food I fed last night floated into it and it grabbed it instantly and ate.

That's good to hear it's eating. Should be fine and heal up well. Scolys that are shipped get really stressed and take more time to acclimate than a lot of corals.

Cynarina came today with some other stuff. In the tank now after I did my water change and gave it a Bayer dip. Once it has settled in, will try and get a good pic of it to post. Yesterday was my birthday and the wife decided to buy all the fish tank stuff on my list. I should have put another tank on there to see if she would have bought that too :D Have to setup the Spectra Pure RODI system later today. Been using the house RO system for the tanks, so TDS was 4. Don't expect major changes with the new water, but at least I know it will be 0 TDS now.

Archived