Pod Your Reef

blkhwkz JBJ RL-45

blkhwkz

charnelhouse

Henrik is 100% vagina so your argument holds no weight lol.

Howz that? I said right there "hitting girly players"...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in the DC area for 15 years before moving back to IL, so also a Caps fan. The only team in pro sports I can't stand more than the Penguins and that cry baby Crosby are the Pats and their cry baby Brady.

CUC has been added today. Also added a green chromis the other day. Have a few frags in the frag holder while I decide where to put them. Couple from my other tank (rainbow monti, fruit loops zoas and fire & ice zoas) and some new ones I grabbed the other day (red dragon zoas, neon green toadstool, purple people eater paly.) Also got a free birdsnest frag the other day. Going to see the clown fish breeder tomorrow for a pair of clowns and then going to leave things alone, other than water changes, until after I get back from Macna.

Added FTS to first post. Not the greatest picture because I suck at pictures. I'll have the wife take one with her nice DSLR and her awesome photography skills soon. Got a nice mated pair of clowns from a local breeder.

Livestock currently:

• Clownfish mated pair (1 Onyx, 1 Snowflake)
  • 1 Green Chromis
  • 1 Lyrteail Anthias
  • CUC
  • Neon toadstool leather
  • Birdsnest
  • Red dragon zoas
  • Fruit loops zoas
  • Fire and ice zoas
  • Rainbow monti
  • Green star polyps
  • People Eater palys

Need to decide where to start mounting some of the frags and get them off the frag rack. Decided I really didn't like the negative space in the aquascape. Works for now the way I changed it, but probably change it again when I get a better idea. Some of the rocks in the front are just to stop the sand from blowing from the pair of RW-4's until things settle.

Probably won't be adding anything or making many changes until after MACNA. Plan is to just do water changes and maintenance and mount the frags before I leave.

Been out of town on a business trip for a few days. Gave me an excuse to stop at my favorite coral store on the way home from the airport today. Picked up some scrambled eggs zoas and an utter chaos polyp. Have them making me some frags of rastas and sunny D's that I will go pick up in 2 weeks or so once they are healed up nicely. I'm sure I will end up bringing home something from MACNA as well.

Came home to find an algae bloom going on on most of the rock. Nitrates/phosphate looked good, though I really need a Hannah phosphate checker instead of the API to get a better reading. Thinking my light schedule needs to be lower intensity and shorter for awhile so changed that. Also tossed in a bag of Seachem Phosguard into each media basket just to make sure phosphates aren't an issue.

charnelhouse

Been out of town on a business trip for a few days. Gave me an excuse to stop at my favorite coral store on the way home from the airport today. Picked up some scrambled eggs zoas and an utter chaos polyp. Have them making me some frags of rastas and sunny D's that I will go pick up in 2 weeks or so once they are healed up nicely. I'm sure I will end up bringing home something from MACNA as well.

Came home to find an algae bloom going on on most of the rock. Nitrates/phosphate looked good, though I really need a Hannah phosphate checker instead of the API to get a better reading. Thinking my light schedule needs to be lower intensity and shorter for awhile so changed that. Also tossed in a bag of Seachem Phosguard into each media basket just to make sure phosphates aren't an issue.

Just remember to not overreact to the algae. You can do more harm than good. Have you tried turkey basting it off?

Just remember to not overreact to the algae. You can do more harm than good. Have you tried turkey basting it off?

Not yet, going to try that tomorrow. I never really had much algae during the cycle so this isn't completely unexpected I guess.

Used the turkey baster to clean up the rocks, definitely looking a bit better. Amazon had the Hannah phoshpate checker for $30 last night so couldn't pass that up and ordered it, Should be here tomorrow and then I can get a much better reading than the API test kit.

Hanna kit shows 0 phosphate, ran it twice to be sure, API does too. Looks like that phosguard worked. Nitrates are at 5 and the rocks look better now after the turkey baster and lowered phosphates.

KH is 9

Calcium is 400 (little lower than I like it)

charnelhouse

Hanna kit shows 0 phosphate, ran it twice to be sure, API does too. Looks like that phosguard worked. Nitrates are at 5 and the rocks look better now after the turkey baster and lowered phosphates.

KH is 9

Calcium is 400 (little lower than I like it)

If corals start looking unhappy all of a sudden it's possible the rapid removal of all phosphate is the culprit... :wacko:

If corals start looking unhappy all of a sudden it's possible the rapid removal of all phosphate is the culprit... :wacko:

I'll definitely keep an eye on things the next few days until I leave. So far everything is still looking good.

Pictures! None in the last 2 weeks :(

I've been slacking, need to get the wife to take some with her DSLR. I'll try and get her to take some this week before I leave for MACNA and post at least a new FTS. Things are still looking a bit ugly while I decide on placement. Mounted some frags to rubble yesterday and not sure I want to keep them where they are. Also need to work on my zoa island rock and add it. Then I'll get more pics once I get my rastas and sunny d frags the coral store is making for me. Also have them holding a weeping willow toadstool for when my frags are ready to go.

Work was to crazy this week so no new pictures before I left. I am at the hotel for MACNA now, if my wife doesn't kill everything in the tank taking care of things while I am gone, there will be new pics when I get back home. Have to swing by the LFS early next week to pick up my rastas, sunny d's and weeping willow they are holding for me now that they are healed up.

Back from MACNA, Acclimated and dipped the corals I bought, and tossed them in the tank. To tired to do much else with them for tonight. Probably should have bought a few other things, but wasn't trying to go broke so kept things cheaper:

• Jason Fox Butt Munchers
  • Jason Fox Ass Monkeys
  • WWC Rodactis mushroom
  • Fruit Loops Zoas
  • Radioactive Dragon Eyes
  • Watermelon Zoas
  • Blue Hornets
  • Random Zoa

I think I have a Zoa addiction :) Still have 2 more to pickup plus weeping willow toadstool on Tuesday from LFS.

First time I got to see bounce mushrooms in person. Also first time I watched a guy drop $3500 on a single piece (one of the bounces.) Fun show overall with some incredible coral being sold.

Couple of pics from my phone today, I take horrible pictures. Hopefully get some far better DSLR pics done soon.

Zoa Island (that looks horrible in this pic)

IMG_20150909_143730.jpg

Left side and middle:

IMG_20150909_143742.jpg

Middle and right

IMG_20150909_143751.jpg

Front

IMG_20150909_144001.jpg

IMG_20150909_144331.jpg

Are

Some phone pics from tonight.

IMG_20150912_202129.jpg

Is this a phone or DSLR? Filter?

Where are you getting those Zoas? They look awesome, and are beautiful frags! (Or mini-colonies!)

The middle zoas (scrambled eggs) and the back orange looking ones (red dragons) are from an LFS. The rest I bought from a few vendors at MACNA.

Phone pics, but I put an orange lens in front of the camera to show the colors better. The DSLR pics should be taken soon. Just got her a macro lens to play with so she'll be taking a bunch of pics for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some solid zoas there sir! Super bright. I finally upgraded from my JBJ 45, to a 66 w/ 29 sump. Haven't transferred everything over, just got the sand and water in it!

Those are some solid zoas there sir! Super bright. I finally upgraded from my JBJ 45, to a 66 w/ 29 sump. Haven't transferred everything over, just got the sand and water in it!

Thanks, I saw when you got your new tank. I am jealous, can't wait to see what you do with it

What filter are you using for your pictures? They look natural, I like it. Everything for my tank will stay the same as far as livestock....as of now anyway. Just need more space so I can get growth again. I lose heads now due to shadow lol, no room for growth

What filter are you using for your pictures? They look natural, I like it. Everything for my tank will stay the same as far as livestock....as of now anyway. Just need more space so I can get growth again. I lose heads now due to shadow lol, no room for growth

Asked the wife since she used her DSLR for them. She said no filter, but she corrected the pics in Photoshop to look natural. She doesn't like the over corrected ones or some of the tricks vendors use to make their pics pop in a way you won't ever really see. Those were all with the pumps and Vortech running too. Next set of pics I will turn those all off for her.

The blue spot jawfish didn't make it. Had him for about 2.5 weeks and he was doing great until yesterday. Then he suddenly stopped eating and was not acting right. Tank parameters are good, I did my usual Wednesday water change. That was the most expensive fish I have bought and was easily the most entertaining fish. Was fun to watch him burrow in the sand, dart out for food and then hide himself at night. The tanks are my thing and my wife doesn't really get involved much, but as soon as she saw that fish at the LFS she was so excited and had to have it. Now she text me that she is never picking out another fish again. Been a bad luck week, my other tank I have 2 clowns that have been together for months and the one decided to kill the other Monday. On a positive though all my coral is looking good.

I swear I am having bad luck with my tanks the last week and a half. Bought a blue scoly during a live sale Saturday night. I have enough greens and oranges, etc and wanted something blue. To make the shipping worth it I decided to order 1 or 2 more things and somehow ended up with 8 pieces :) They are closed Mondays and were going to ship today. I get a call there is a problem with my order, I said as long as it's not the scoly. Turns out someone knocked over my scoly and it was upside down all day yesterday when they were closed and is damaged. Can't be sent out as it would arrive DOA. He said they have a stash of others and would send me a blue and red one and some extras for my troubles. Now they text me that they only have 1 other scoly in stock, it is more expensive than the one I bought, but they will send it to me. It's green and orange, exactly what I didn't want. I have enough green and orange in the tank. Oh well, if I hate it I will just trade it at the LFS. Now I am more interested to see what the extra stuff they throw in is.

Archived