Pod Your Reef

blkhwkz JBJ RL-45

blkhwkz

I put up my first reef tank, Biocube 29, at the end of April. Within weeks decided I needed another one and of course larger. Found a sale on this tank and stand and got the stand for free. Tank was on backorder for several weeks. Even ordering parts for this hobby seems to require patience. When the tank and stand arrived, the stand was missing a major piece and was damaged. Amazing how much UPS can damage a package while only having it for a day and a half. I also noticed something that made me consider not using this stand. Almost the entire stand was to be built using 2" dowels to hold it together. I requested a replacement of the same model. This one was completely different with how it assembled and only used a few dowels. The rest was with your standard cam lock and nut. So not sure if the replacement is an updated model or what. The new one appears to be more stable, still not great. Thankfully the tank itself arrived in good shape and packaged better than I had thought it would be. I had read a number of people on various forums that had gotten the same tank from the same place in pieces.

Spent the last 2 months deciding on parts and ordering things as I could. Finally got the last parts yesterday and put sand and water in the tank last night. Decided to go with about a 2.5-3" sand bed. Now for the fun of waiting for the cycle. Added some Ace Hardware ammonia this morning to get things going.

Here is my equipment list:

• Radion XR30W Pro w/ TIR lens & RMS tank mount
  • CAD Lights PLS-50 Elite
  • Jebao RW-4 (x2)
  • Vortech MP40
  • InTank Media baskets (x2)
  • Filter floss, Purigen, Chemipure Elite will be in 1 basket. Filter floss, phosphate pad, Chemipure blue will be in the 2nd basket. Going to be switching to Chemipure blue in both
  • EHEIM Jager 150w heater
  • Cobalt MJ1200 (x2) to replace stock pumps
  • Reef cleaners rock
  • 5lb coralline encrusted rock from the LFS to get the cycle going quicker
  • 20lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink
  • 20lbs of CaribSea Arag-Alive Special Grade
  • Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Livestock as of 9/16/15:

• Clownfish mated pair (1 Onyx, 1 Snowflake)
  • 2 Green Chromis
  • 1 Lyrteail Anthias
  • 1 Yellow Tail Damsel
  • 1 Neon Dottyback
  • 1 Blue Dot Jawfish
  • 1 Porcelain Anemone crab
  • CUC
  • WWC Yellow Tips Acro
  • Neon toadstool leather
  • Birdsnest
  • Red dragon zoas
  • Fruit loops zoas
  • Scrambled eggs zoas
  • Utter Chaos paly
  • Rainbow monti
  • People Eater palys
  • Radioactive Dragon Eyes zoas
  • Watermelon zoas
  • Blue Hornets
  • JF Ass Monkeys zoas
  • JF Butt Munchers zoas
  • JF Jack O Lantern Lepto
  • Rodactis Mushroom
  • Misc zoa
  • Rastas
  • Sunny D's
  • Weeping Willow
  • Torch

FTS 11/21/15

WP_20151121_17_20_48_Pro_LI.jpg

FTS 8/21/15

WP_20150821_15_13_07_Pro__highres.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

Got some of my equipment ideas from your build and Wretched's.

Sweet!

Only thing I think you are missing is an aquarium controller. You can get a Reef Keeper Lite for $100 used or an Apex JR. I currently don't have one setup but it makes the tank much safer and easier to maintain- from "feed modes" (W. skimmer, returns, powerheads, etc) to a backup controller for your heater/ato

The good thing is I work from home so I am down checking on the tanks all the time. Next things to look into at some point will probably be an ATO and Reef Keeper Lite.

Also I noticed something else that I am not sure about. With my Biocube I put in an MJ 1200 and the compartment where that pump goes I can put as much water as I want into it and it is fine. I always have it above the "max" fill line on that tank. With this tank and both pumps running the water in that compartment is just a little bit over the pumps. If I add more water to that compartment the added water gets pumped into the tank immediately. If I shut one pump off, then the water level rises in that compartment and drops a bit in the tank. With both on I feel like the water in the tank is a little higher than where it should be. With only one pump on it is where I think it should be. So not sure what is going on and why any additional water into the pump compartment is put into the tank as fast as I add it with both pumps on.

HarryPotter

The good thing is I work from home so I am down checking on the tanks all the time. Next things to look into at some point will probably be an ATO and Reef Keeper Lite.

Also I noticed something else that I am not sure about. With my Biocube I put in an MJ 1200 and the compartment where that pump goes I can put as much water as I want into it and it is fine. I always have it above the "max" fill line on that tank. With this tank and both pumps running the water in that compartment is just a little bit over the pumps. If I add more water to that compartment the added water gets pumped into the tank immediately. If I shut one pump off, then the water level rises in that compartment and drops a bit in the tank. With both on I feel like the water in the tank is a little higher than where it should be. With only one pump on it is where I think it should be. So not sure what is going on and why any additional water into the pump compartment is put into the tank as fast as I add it with both pumps on.

Well how high is "too" high?

I have one Cobalt 1200 and one stock pump running, but thats just because I don't want to buy another cobalt

Picture of the water level you think is too high?

I will try and grab a pic tonight, but I measured it last night and this morning. Water line is 3/4" from the top of the glass. Maybe I just felt like it was a little lower when I saw one at a store running.

HarryPotter

I will try and grab a pic tonight, but I measured it last night and this morning. Water line is 3/4" from the top of the glass. Maybe I just felt like it was a little lower when I saw one at a store running.

And are you using the stock pumps?

Mine with 1 upgraded and 1 stock pump is 1.5 inches under the top glass.

Using Cobalt MJ1200 for both. Might swap 1 with 1 stock one and see, maybe 2 MJ1200 is to much. Quick and easy thing I can test tonight after work.

Pump problem fixed. Just needed to add more water which I was hesitant to do late last night. Had an incident earlier in the day with salt water being sprayed around part of the basement. Thankfully the unfinished part is where I do all my water stuff. So since I was having bad luck last night, I was thinking if I filled it anymore I might have some explaining to do to the wife about salt water all over the carpet.

HarryPotter

Pump problem fixed. Just needed to add more water which I was hesitant to do late last night. Had an incident earlier in the day with salt water being sprayed around part of the basement. Thankfully the unfinished part is where I do all my water stuff. So since I was having bad luck last night, I was thinking if I filled it anymore I might have some explaining to do to the wife about salt water all over the carpet.

Was it that you accidentally popped off the return head loc-line? Happened to me too!

It was definitely a little loose on one side. That and about 1.5 gallons of water and things are running smooth and much quieter now. I had planned on using some of my other tanks water to speed this cycle up. That was the water that got sprayed around the basement. Had the coralline covered rock sitting in a bucket with a pump and lid on. Apparently the lid decided to pop off and the pump did a fine job of spraying water. Between work and that yesterday was not my day. Half expected the tank to have a leak even though I had done a leak check when I got it just to complete my day.

I guess the Eheim heater has a mind of it's own. No matter what I set it at, it keeps the water at 82.3-82.6 degrees. I have it turned all the way down and I see it turn on if the water drops to 82.2 or below. Ambient temp in that room is 74 and if I turn the heater off the temperature drops as expected. Good thing exchanges on Amazon are quick and easy, replacement will be here tomorrow.

HarryPotter

I guess the Eheim heater has a mind of it's own. No matter what I set it at, it keeps the water at 82.3-82.6 degrees. I have it turned all the way down and I see it turn on if the water drops to 82.2 or below. Ambient temp in that room is 74 and if I turn the heater off the temperature drops as expected. Good thing exchanges on Amazon are quick and easy, replacement will be here tomorrow.

Weird! I love my Neo-Therm, but the Eheim has good reviews as well.

You are sure the thermometer you are looking at is accurate?

Weird! I love my Neo-Therm, but the Eheim has good reviews as well.

You are sure the thermometer you are looking at is accurate?

Yep, used a second thermometer to verify in a different location of the tank. Never had an issue with Eheim before. Between the 2 tanks I have ordered a lot of parts this year, sooner or later one not working was bound to happen.

Swapped the heater out yesterday, new one works as it should and tank temps are where I want them. Doing my regular water change Wednesday on my other tank tomorrow. Think I might take a few gallons of water from that tank and put it in this one and see if that helps the cycle. So far no nitrites or nitrates yet. Thought I would see some change 5 days in with live sand and the 6 pound piece of live rock. Ammonia reading is still where it was after I put some in last week. Noticed the salinity is a little high (1.027 I like to stay around 1.025) and that was my fault last week not paying attention. Used the wrong water for top off. So swapping some of the other tank water in should bring it down. Might also take an extra gallon of water out beyond that and add in a gallon of straight RO water to make sure it lowers.

Tossed some filter floss from my other tank into this one yesterday. Have sky high nitrites and some nitrates today. Also getting an algae bloom on the rocks that wasn't there yesterday. Looks like that floss has kicked the cycle into full swing. Figuring 1.5-2 weeks if all goes well and I should be ready for CUC and then time to get this tank stocked slowly.

HarryPotter

Tossed some filter floss from my other tank into this one yesterday. Have sky high nitrites and some nitrates today. Also getting an algae bloom on the rocks that wasn't there yesterday. Looks like that floss has kicked the cycle into full swing. Figuring 1.5-2 weeks if all goes well and I should be ready for CUC and then time to get this tank stocked slowly.

Sounds like a rocking plan. Keeping lights and chemical filteration off?

Sounds like a rocking plan. Keeping lights and chemical filteration off?

Yes sir. Ran the lights one day to check the schedule I downloaded and see what I thought, but that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is cycled. Did a water change today and added my chemical filtration. CUC has been ordered and will be here Tuesday. Going to a local breeders house next week to pick out some clowns and anemone. Taking a trip to LFS today for my other tank, they have some nice frag deals going. Might have to pickup a few and hold them in my other tank for a day or two before moving them over. Need to let the mess that water change settle and verify once more everything looks good. Algae outbreak was kept to a minimum after adding phosphate pad during the cycle and that was with running my light cycle for the last week. Enough algae for CUC to stay content, but nothing crazy.

charnelhouse

The old backwards water bottle meme.... power forwards don't need to be rocket scientists. Hitting like a mack truck and leaving girly players scratching at their bench? That's a power forward requirement...

7082701207_ffd0780778_o.gif

7082712691_04f64a05ab_o.gif

The old backwards water bottle meme.... power forwards don't need to be rocket scientists. Hitting like a mack truck and leaving girly players scratching at their bench? That's a power forward requirement...

Henrik is 100% vagina so your argument holds no weight lol.

Archived