Innovative Marine Aquariums

Sea Bunnies-jorunna parva

SquishyFishy

Yes, they're all the rage in Japan, but that doesn't mean they're putting them in aquariums. They're just posting photos of them and calling them sea bunnies. The photos in that video were clearly all of ones in the ocean. Nudibranchs are a notoriously bad idea to have in tanks because most species eat one very specific thing that would be impossible to feed them in an aquarium. Also, they get sucked into powerheads, filter up takes, and overflows. Putting them in an aquarium is basically just a death sentence. Enjoy them in the ocean where they belong!

• Like 3

Yes, they're all the rage in Japan, but that doesn't mean they're putting them in aquariums. They're just posting photos of them and calling them sea bunnies. The photos in that video were clearly all of ones in the ocean. Nudibranchs are a notoriously bad idea to have in tanks because most species eat one very specific thing that would be impossible to feed them in an aquarium. Also, they get sucked into powerheads, filter up takes, and overflows. Putting them in an aquarium is basically just a death sentence. Enjoy them in the ocean where they belong!

Party pooper... :(

;)

• Like 2
SquishyFishy

I tried that one....didn't make it....as most of us know....they float up/crawl up next to the wave makers and get sliced up....

• Like 1

You could start a nudi farm!!

Sea bunny, sea sheep, sea hare, sea cow... omgomgomg

Let's all buy a big farm and do that! And raise miniature donkeys and mini pigs.

• Like 1

Sorry guys! I'm one of the biggest nudibranch fans there is, so if they did well in aquariums, I'd definitely have one! Unfortunately they're one of those critters that is better to be admired in the ocean. Speaking of which, I saw three different species this past Sunday when I went diving in Monterey Bay.

White-spotted dorid

IMG_9299Edit.jpg

MacFarland's chromodorid

IMG_9346Edit.jpg

IMG_9365Edit.jpg

IMG_9393Edit.jpg

Hopkins rose nudibranch

IMG_9455Edit.jpg

IMG_9472Edit.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry guys! I'm one of the biggest nudibranch fans there is, so if they did well in aquariums, I'd definitely have one! Unfortunately they're one of those critters that is better to be admired in the ocean. Speaking of which, I saw three different species this past Sunday when I went diving in Monterey Bay.

White-spotted dorid

IMG_9299Edit.jpg

MacFarland's chromodorid

IMG_9346Edit.jpg

IMG_9365Edit.jpg

IMG_9393Edit.jpg

Hopkins rose nudibranch

IMG_9455Edit.jpg

IMG_9472Edit.jpg

How big were they? Can you... pet them??

• Like 3

How big were they? Can you... pet them??

They vary in size from SUPER tiny to a couple inches long. The biggest one of these was the first yellow one which was probably an inch and half long. We saw tons of the MacFarland's and they were pretty small. Like 1/2" to 3/4". The Hopkins rose nudibranchs were probably around an inch. Considering I wear big thick gloves when I'm diving around here because its coldwater diving, and you have to keep your hands warm, I don't have much manual dexterity to me trying to touch something that tiny. I'd probably hurt them if I tried to pet them. Plus, they're sea slugs, so even though they appear fluffy, they're just kind of slimy/smushy. It would be like petting a slug.

• Like 4

Really cool photos, Felicia! I've always been a fan of nudis. The Mystic Aquarium here has some and I've always been amazed by them.

Here are a few more species that I've photographed.

These were in Hawaii.

1653569_10104730569487641_776201737_n%20

This one was in the dive park off Avalon on Catalina island.

60756_10103203738868441_250210729_n_1.jp

The rest of these were in the Monterey/Carmel area.

59051_10102927881299221_1576757724_n.jpg

527704_10103335971393401_1540303848_n.jp

429345_10101818128647431_1907629486_n.jp

• Like 4

Amazing photos!!!

Thank you! :) I like taking macro photos of nudibranchs. Its one of my favorite parts of diving. Someday I'll have a nice camera!

• Like 1

Thank you! :) I like taking macro photos of nudibranchs. Its one of my favorite parts of diving. Someday I'll have a nice camera!

Your pics are great! What kind of a camera do use?

• Like 1