ReefCleaners.org

Llama's 5 Gallon Mantis Tank

llama roadkill

llama roadkill

Hey there folks.

I've been thinking about getting a mantis for a while, and when I saw a Gonodactylus smithii on That Fish Place, I decided to bite the bullet. He's/She's (?) about 2", and is pretty shy right now, and it hides when anyone goes near the tank. I instantly cycled the tank by putting in media from my other tank. Title is because it won't use the huge PVC structure I put in the tank. :P

Setup:

4C8F3A38-F1A6-4FD6-BB87-8ED4D6C2AF73_zps

Tank: Fluval Spec V

Filter: Stock

Media: (Top to Bottom) Filter Floss/Matrix/Purigen

Light: Stock

I'm using dry rock because I have about 80lbs laying around.

Inhabitants:

G. smithii - BROmatopod

Hermit Crab - Was put in for testing if water was okay.

th_18666DA0-CA3B-449E-B6E2-6F9882E37D10_

Well, there it is. Let me know what you think.

- Jacob

• 3 weeks later...
llama roadkill

He won't stop hitting a hermit crab. CRACK. 5 seconds. CRACK. 5 seconds. CRACK. Just break the shell already! XD

HarryPotter

He won't stop hitting a hermit crab. CRACK. 5 seconds. CRACK. 5 seconds. CRACK. Just break the shell already! XD

HA that's cool... Can you get a video? Haha

llama roadkill

HA that's cool... Can you get a video? Haha

Next time he starts, I definitely will. Woke me up at 3:30 AM once, and he wouldn't stop. So I couldn't go back to sleep. Sigh.

So are the troubles of owning a mantis. :lol:

Giving him just rocks and letting them find a hole and letting them beat it up over time to fit their body is what I did. I feed mine once a week and otherwise I throw some snails in there for her hunting every once in a while. Mines only 1.75 but started at .5" so it wasn't hard for her to find a crevice.

• 2 months later...
llama roadkill

Just ask him YUNOUSEPVC?

It's been a while now, and the mantis ended up moving into the PVC! Then out. Then back in! But in the end he lived UNDERNEATH the pipe in a little ditch he dug out, and I can see him pretty well.

I feed him live clam from the supermarket and fiddler crabs.

Here are some better pics of him that really show his whole body and beautiful color. Ignore the dried water(?)

8CBE65B8-AC87-4C21-BB07-18EB0B53EA43_zps

18666DA0-CA3B-449E-B6E2-6F9882E37D10_zps

54CDE58F-DEA5-4058-9F12-3CC40B435310_zps

Let me know what you guys think about my cute little guy. :)

His name is now BROmatopod. ;)

llama roadkill

Love mantis!!! He has some pretty colors on him.

Yours are beautiful as well!

Hey Llama! Good to see you're still alive! Lovin Bromatopod too!

Sorry about the confusion, I'm actually dead. Here's a selfie of me playing my trumpet.

BBACE2CF-A468-48EC-9444-6F0131F378B5_zps

llama roadkill

Yeah, uh, that's a very different type of shrimp! Is that the zebra mantis?

Pretty sure. Or at least very similar.

Holy crap, lol... forgotten they get that big

Right?! Mine will maybe stay 4" or so.

Update: Holy shit, it is a snail without its shell. One of the shells I found was missing the snail. The part that looks like shell is its flesh. WTF. WHAT MONSTROSITY HAS MY MANTIS CREATED?! However, I did find the shell upside down. Is it possible that the snail crawled out, as they can't turn themselves right side up?

Pretty sure. Or at least very similar.

Right?! Mine will maybe stay 4" or so.

Update: Holy shit, it is a snail without its shell. One of the shells I found was missing the snail. The part that looks like shell is its flesh. WTF. WHAT MONSTROSITY HAS MY MANTIS CREATED?! However, I did find the shell upside down. Is it possible that the snail crawled out, as they can't turn themselves right side up?

Post the picture up that you posted in the other thread! :lol:

llama roadkill

Sweet had a little green one years ago in a 5 gallon....they are a nice little tank mate to have.

He's pretty nice to fish. I had a baby 6-line in there for a month or so until it got ich, possibly from the mantis. He got weak, and wouldn't swim. I tried to encourage him to swim using a little plastic rod that I use to feed the mantis...he swam a little, then sunk right down into the mantis' lair. The next morning, there were little blue scales and bones scattered around his cave. :(

Post the picture up that you posted in the other thread! :lol:

I just realized that this thread isn't that thread. :P

4723BA8B-3253-4558-9FEB-F9325F210852_zps

llama roadkill

Well they will eat anything..........

Well look on the bright side. At least I didn't need to fish out a rotten wrasse.

llama roadkill

didn't know you had a tank dude. cool critter you got.

also, seeing your avy reminded me of the new fallout, do you play?

Counting down the days.

I got the Pipboy edition from Best Buy, and if it isn't delivered on release day...

Counting down the days.

I got the Pipboy edition from Best Buy, and if it isn't delivered on release day...

nice! i only got into fallout 3 when it on sale on steam. can't believe i never played that game until just a few months ago. i think i may consider getting fallout 4...probably will..

Does look like a snail to me. Gertie will sometimes come up to the glass like she did with my friend today and flit around. Other times when I look at her she just runs when I come in closer. She knows when I have the camera though I don't have the flash on.

Archived