Pod Your Reef

Difference between Alk & Calcium

Exodus

So having a blonde moment here, I have a Dosing Container using BRS 2 part, and after putting a fair amount of each into separate compartments, I forgot to label each compartment and have no idea which is which, as they are both clear liquid is there anyway to tell the difference in the two? Something tells me I'm going to have to endure a taste test <_<

HarryPotter

So having a blonde moment here, I have a Dosing Container using BRS 2 part, and after putting a fair amount of each into separate compartments, I forgot to label each compartment and have no idea which is which, as they are both clear liquid is there anyway to tell the difference in the two? Something tells me I'm going to have to endure a taste test <_<

One is clear when you add it to the tank and the other is white and cloudy.

Dunno which though.... I can check in a bit by testing my doser

My tiny reef

One is clear when you add it to the tank and the other is white and cloudy.

Dunno which though.... I can check in a bit by testing my doser

My calcium is clear and my alk creates cloudy white.

Well the cloudy white would most likely be alkalinity because after all its essentially baking soda, so Im thinking if I take a drop from each container and let the individual drops evaporate on a flat surface I will be left with the reminisce of sodium bicarbonate

No need to taste test. Simply get a few drops and toss it in your tank. If you see a cloud of white then that's Alk. If nothing happens then it's Ca. Few drops of each probably won't do much.

No need to taste test. Simply get a few drops and toss it in your tank. If you see a cloud of white then that's Alk. If nothing happens then it's Ca. Few drops of each probably won't do much.

So it is the Sodium Bicarbonate creating the cloudy white substance, I had a feeling it was but I have no clue what the Calcium is made up of. Thanks for the clarification.

So it is the Sodium Bicarbonate creating the cloudy white substance, I had a feeling it was but I have no clue what the Calcium is made up of. Thanks for the clarification.

I use BRS supplements and the Ca is Calcium Chloride while the Alk is soda ash which is Sodium Carbonate. Combine the two and you get calcium carbonate (CaCO3) which is what your reefs are made up of. The soda ash (sodium carbonate) is the one that makes the white cloud and then dissipates while the calcium does not.

Well got it figured out :) Got the label maker out and labeled the compartments! Thanks for the help, I have made allot of mistakes over the years but this has got to be one of the silliest.

Archived