Top Shelf Aquatics

Snow's Mantis Menagerie - Losing everyone.

Snow_Phoenix

I feel so bad for you. You are really going through a terrible time. I will pray for you but I don't know what else to do.

Believe it or not, I've been where you are.

My exact details were different, but the degree of difficulty was the same.

It is pretty overwhelming, isn't it?

I've come really far since that time, and have overcome a lot.

Having been through that and overcome, here is what I would share with you:

-Focus on what is in front of you & take it one step at a time.

In the midst of this kind of scenario, it's really easy to let your mind run away with you and start thinking, "what if this happens, and then this happens, and then..... oh NO, that's too much I won't be able to handle it, aaaargh!!!". It becomes easy to let your thinking snowball and create larger and larger disaster scenarios in your head. Focus on the minor details that are in front of you, tackle one detail at a time, it will take you farther than you think. The more you focus on what you can do and what is possible, the more you get things under control.

Can you set up a separate tank and just move your LR and your Lionfish to that and keep that healthy? You clearly enjoy the fish, and that would give you something simple & stable to maintain til are in a better place to try corals again. If you wanted to, you could try saving the corals, but I'd try doing it in a separate simple hospital tank or something & make your focus maintaining what you can.

-What we focus on becomes larger.

This really is true. You are in the midst of some difficult and discouraging circumstances; you can't change that. Our minds are powerful things and if you allow yourself to focus on that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy & you defeat yourself. I know this because I've done it.

On the other hand, you do have some positives. Your bird is doing better, correct?

Your parents are very supportive & are doing a lot of things to help you. They are doing things that are making it possible for you to recover & move forward. Yes, you fell & were hurt badly, but your parents picked you up, bandaged your wounds & are taking care of you. You're not trying to do this on your own.

You may be having problems with lack of supply on your medication, but you have health insurance & access to a computer. Try looking up substitutes for that med, or calling your Dr's office & asking for a substitute.

You're having bad luck with your tank, but you also have access to a very supportive community here. We all love Reefing & will happily help you find a way to move forward with your tank.

You can choose where your focus will be. It's hard at first because you may be exercising mental muscles that you're not used to using, but it does become easier and even more importantly than that, it brings literal positive change in what is around you the more you do it.

All of the above comes from what I learned in my own difficult, rotten circumstances and it really did make it possible for me to move forward and past those circumstances into a stronger, better place.

You have options, it's up to you what you do with them.

Best wishes. :flower:

Thank you both so much. And Weetabix, I took your wonderful advice to heart - it truly helped, especially these last few days.

I basically took a deep breath and concentrated on taking it one step at a time. I talked it out with my mother, who was quite helpful and supportive. I let myself heal up and slowly began to walk around a bit in the house so that my legs won't feel like jelly all the time. Then I contacted my psychologist's office to find out if he knows any other doctor in the state that has the drug in stock, and managed to secure an appointment with another doctor who's clinic still has some old stock of the drug left - I'm seeing him tomorrow.

In the meantime, I yanked out all the dead Caulerpa and binned it, replaced my carbon and cutback on feedings for the time being.

My original plan was to set up my spare 16G for the lionfish, but with my leg the way it is now, I couldn't do it. I do have a 5G plastic QT, but the tank is very small for such a fish. I had to make a decision and I even discussed it with my father because he loved the fish as much as I did ('It's beautiful - can't we keep it?' - his words), but even he thought it would be unfair to the fish as well. I called my LFS manager and he was willing to trade the fish for another fish/livestock.

I ended up bringing home a juvenile Fairy wrasse which was already eating pellets and quite healthy so far.

As for my corals - the carbon helped a lot. I lost the Elegance and Candycane, but I managed to save almost everyone else. My zoas are still annoyed though, but the polyps are closed and have not melted away yet.

Today I'll be scraping the glass using a blade to get rid of some film algae - just regular maintenance. I think I should be strong enough to do a WC tomorrow. I spotted my Mantis today, and it looks like she's molted again. More blue than green on her atm on her appendages.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its very good to hear from you! I am glad that you are doing a little better. I thought the advise weetabix gave was so good and am happy to hear that it is helping.

I know how sad and difficult it is to rehome a beloved pet but I think you did the right thing with the lionfish. Right now you need to focus taking care of you and keeping the pets that are within your limitations. I am happy that most of your corals are alright. Sorry about the elegance though.

That is wonderful that you were able to locate a place where you can get your medication! Praise the Lord.

Its very good to hear from you! I am glad that you are doing a little better. I thought the advise weetabix gave was so good and am happy to hear that it is helping.

I know how sad and difficult it is to rehome a beloved pet but I think you did the right thing with the lionfish. Right now you need to focus taking care of you and keeping the pets that are within your limitations. I am happy that most of your corals are alright. Sorry about the elegance though.

That is wonderful that you were able to locate a place where you can get your medication! Praise the Lord.

Thank you - sorry for the late response - I wanted to chime in earlier but one thing kept popping up after another, and I was quite busy trying to get things sorted. Yes, Weetabix's advice was wonderful and solid. I actually reread it several times because it helped to keep me calm.

Cairo was a very personable fish - he'll be missed. But I know this manager personally, and I know the fish will go to a good, experienced home.

I still have a tiny bout of cyano on the sand, but I think that's due to a buildup of PO4 from not cleaning the sandbed properly for the past two weeks.

I'm happy as well that I managed to locate the medicine. :)

Thank you - sorry for the late response - I wanted to chime in earlier but one thing kept popping up after another, and I was quite busy trying to get things sorted. Yes, Weetabix's advice was wonderful and solid. I actually reread it several times because it helped to keep me calm.

Cairo was a very personable fish - he'll be missed. But I know this manager personally, and I know the fish will go to a good, experienced home.

I still have a tiny bout of cyano on the sand, but I think that's due to a buildup of PO4 from not cleaning the sandbed properly for the past two weeks.

I'm happy as well that I managed to locate the medicine. :)

It means a lot to me that I was able to assist you in taking positive steps forward.

And look where you are now compared to where you were a week ago! That came about because you took positive action.

Wanna know something funny?

Your response here happened at the perfect time for me, because a stressful situation came up for me yesterday. Because you quoted what I said in your response, I ended up re-reading it, which is a good thing, because I need to take my own advice.

I keep telling myself in my head "what we focus on becomes larger, what we focus on becomes larger," lol. It's true though, and I needed to be reminded of it so that I could switch my focus.

If you had responded earlier, I wouldn't have been reminded of this when I needed to hear it.

I also just read a blog post that I found very helpful, and I'm sharing it with you in hopes that it will help you as well: http://storylineblog.com/2016/01/26/make-the-most-of-the-path-youre-on/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Donald%20Miller&utm_content=Make%20the%20Most%20of%20the%20Path%20You%27re%20On

Two things that stood out to me from that:

-Life is a path & if we give up & quit in the middle of the dark, scary parts then we have to live there instead of moving on to the more pleasant parts.

-Learning from & helping others who are travelling on the path around is a beautiful thing that benefits all.

Believe it or not, I've been where you are.

My exact details were different, but the degree of difficulty was the same.

It is pretty overwhelming, isn't it?

I've come really far since that time, and have overcome a lot.

Having been through that and overcome, here is what I would share with you:

-Focus on what is in front of you & take it one step at a time.

In the midst of this kind of scenario, it's really easy to let your mind run away with you and start thinking, "what if this happens, and then this happens, and then..... oh NO, that's too much I won't be able to handle it, aaaargh!!!". It becomes easy to let your thinking snowball and create larger and larger disaster scenarios in your head. Focus on the minor details that are in front of you, tackle one detail at a time, it will take you farther than you think. The more you focus on what you can do and what is possible, the more you get things under control.

Can you set up a separate tank and just move your LR and your Lionfish to that and keep that healthy? You clearly enjoy the fish, and that would give you something simple & stable to maintain til are in a better place to try corals again. If you wanted to, you could try saving the corals, but I'd try doing it in a separate simple hospital tank or something & make your focus maintaining what you can.

-What we focus on becomes larger.

This really is true. You are in the midst of some difficult and discouraging circumstances; you can't change that. Our minds are powerful things and if you allow yourself to focus on that, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy & you defeat yourself. I know this because I've done it.

On the other hand, you do have some positives. Your bird is doing better, correct?

Your parents are very supportive & are doing a lot of things to help you. They are doing things that are making it possible for you to recover & move forward. Yes, you fell & were hurt badly, but your parents picked you up, bandaged your wounds & are taking care of you. You're not trying to do this on your own.

You may be having problems with lack of supply on your medication, but you have health insurance & access to a computer. Try looking up substitutes for that med, or calling your Dr's office & asking for a substitute.

You're having bad luck with your tank, but you also have access to a very supportive community here. We all love Reefing & will happily help you find a way to move forward with your tank.

You can choose where your focus will be. It's hard at first because you may be exercising mental muscles that you're not used to using, but it does become easier and even more importantly than that, it brings literal positive change in what is around you the more you do it.

All of the above comes from what I learned in my own difficult, rotten circumstances and it really did make it possible for me to move forward and past those circumstances into a stronger, better place.

You have options, it's up to you what you do with them.

Best wishes. :flower:

Damn girl, well said, all of it!

I had to kind of look at things myself with the electrocution I had. I tried not to dwell and thought of actions to take like quickly moving fish to other tanks, moving the clam, even moving the rfas into the 20g hoping the slightly more mature water might help them and not just leave them in the 40g that had already been contaminated by dead urchins, etc.

But when you're looking at everything all at once, it IS too much. A new move on my side, hopes of brighter tomorrows in a new home that only has the future I make in it and then disaster, and a dishwasher that's broken, and the spring boxes that wouldn't go up the stairs, and a foot of snow, wondering if the power will go out, etc.

Try not to feel defeated, there is a strong will in you to keep going, we all know this,YOU GOT THIS! And you're looking at actions down the line, like furthering education and making arrangements for animal and tank care, all these things are leading in a certain direction which makes more sense after the fact of course, but you know how it goes. I don't think I could be as strong as you, with the illnesses. Kudos to you because I don't know how you do it. I only deal w/ previous grief and depression, no physical illnesses. I always enjoy reading that your parents are helping you with this and that. They always support you. Mine only really just realized how much the hobby means to me.

It means a lot to me that I was able to assist you in taking positive steps forward.

And look where you are now compared to where you were a week ago! That came about because you took positive action.

Wanna know something funny?

Your response here happened at the perfect time for me, because a stressful situation came up for me yesterday. Because you quoted what I said in your response, I ended up re-reading it, which is a good thing, because I need to take my own advice.

I keep telling myself in my head "what we focus on becomes larger, what we focus on becomes larger," lol. It's true though, and I needed to be reminded of it so that I could switch my focus.

If you had responded earlier, I wouldn't have been reminded of this when I needed to hear it.

I also just read a blog post that I found very helpful, and I'm sharing it with you in hopes that it will help you as well: http://storylineblog.com/2016/01/26/make-the-most-of-the-path-youre-on/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=Donald%20Miller&utm_content=Make%20the%20Most%20of%20the%20Path%20You%27re%20On

Two things that stood out to me from that:

-Life is a path & if we give up & quit in the middle of the dark, scary parts then we have to live there instead of moving on to the more pleasant parts.

-Learning from & helping others who are travelling on the path around is a beautiful thing that benefits all.

I'm glad that you're also feeling so much better, Weetabix. Love your last two quotes, and I will check out that link shortly. :) Thank you so much for all the encouragement.

I had to kind of look at things myself with the electrocution I had. I tried not to dwell and thought of actions to take like quickly moving fish to other tanks, moving the clam, even moving the rfas into the 20g hoping the slightly more mature water might help them and not just leave them in the 40g that had already been contaminated by dead urchins, etc.

But when you're looking at everything all at once, it IS too much. A new move on my side, hopes of brighter tomorrows in a new home that only has the future I make in it and then disaster, and a dishwasher that's broken, and the spring boxes that wouldn't go up the stairs, and a foot of snow, wondering if the power will go out, etc.

Try not to feel defeated, there is a strong will in you to keep going, we all know this,YOU GOT THIS! And you're looking at actions down the line, like furthering education and making arrangements for animal and tank care, all these things are leading in a certain direction which makes more sense after the fact of course, but you know how it goes. I don't think I could be as strong as you, with the illnesses. Kudos to you because I don't know how you do it. I only deal w/ previous grief and depression, no physical illnesses. I always enjoy reading that your parents are helping you with this and that. They always support you. Mine only really just realized how much the hobby means to me.

I'm also cheering you on, Annette. I finally got a chance to read more of your thread and the actual total losses are staggering, but I'm more touched by how this amazing community pulled together to help - even the sponsors chipped in! I really hope everything works out well for you - you truly deserve it after all the difficulties you encountered in trying to move in in the first place. Are you enjoying your new home so far though? Does Hagen love it?

Also, I'm very sorry for the late replies overall, I was slammed with a nasty flu virus over the week - the kind of virus that leaves you mooching in bed and whimpering in self-pity. Still am recovering but my muscles feel like jelly. I couldn't do a WC on my tank hence the increase in cyano, couldn't clean out the bird cages properly so there's still a lot of scrubbing to be done, and still haven't torn down my 16G freshwater long, which only hosts some feeder shrimp and guppies. So much work, but I'm focusing on healing first.

I feel like penning a short letter of gratitude to my neurologist that's suffering from mammary cancer herself. Her cancer has already spread to the brain and lungs, but her nurses claimed she'll still try to return to work on 1/2/2016. I don't know if she'll make it, but I hope my letter somehow reaches her before she passes away. My family and I, besides several thousand of other patients across the state, owe her our lives and thanks. She's the one who discovered my brain lesion in Sept. 2014 which was the underlying cause of my epilepsy. She's also the first doctor in my life who told me that I can do a PhD despite my complications, even get married, settle down overseas if I choose to and finish writing my novel to become an established writer. Not even my psychologist was this encouraging. Basically she encouraged me to live my life to the fullest and do things that make me happy - drive my car (everyone else said no - epilepsy patients cannot drive), do a doctrate (everyone else said no in the beginning, because the stress will cause even more seizures) etc. It's sad to see someone so talented and kind in the medical field to leave like that. I'll miss her.

In the meantime, I'll try to do a small WC somehow by tomorrow either way and siphon out as much cyano as I can. A little bit at a time.

RIP Sebastian

Hi there!

I just read through your thread and wanted to let you know that I'm rooting for you! I've been through a tough time recently (my mother had a cardiac arrest). My trick was to just get through it ten seconds at a time. When one ten seconds is over, start on the next.

Hope this helped,

Nick

It's not often you find someone so committed to their field who ends up suffering as well, and still wanting to work in their field til they pass, despite their own issues. Sounds like an amazing neurologist. Sounds like an amazing human being to me. Just because you have any number of illnesses doesn't mean your life should stop, your goals should stop, you desires should stop. Those things don't define you. Your strength is admirable to me. You keep going and going.

Hagen is liking the place. He knows somehow that he can't go downstairs in the morning until I come down and do the routine of feed me, let me outside. He's probably confused because I have things in 2 bathrooms right now, so I'll brush my teeth in one then dry my hair in another. He probably thinks I'm nuts but I just haven't gotten to the point where I've sorted everything out upstairs btw the master bath and the hallway full bath.

Doing well though, dr did increase my anti-depressant, he told me to wait til after I move in a week, see how things are going. Well I had the tank crash and started them that night. It was a good choice.

It's not often you find someone so committed to their field who ends up suffering as well, and still wanting to work in their field til they pass, despite their own issues. Sounds like an amazing neurologist. Sounds like an amazing human being to me. Just because you have any number of illnesses doesn't mean your life should stop, your goals should stop, you desires should stop. Those things don't define you. Your strength is admirable to me. You keep going and going.

Hagen is liking the place. He knows somehow that he can't go downstairs in the morning until I come down and do the routine of feed me, let me outside. He's probably confused because I have things in 2 bathrooms right now, so I'll brush my teeth in one then dry my hair in another. He probably thinks I'm nuts but I just haven't gotten to the point where I've sorted everything out upstairs btw the master bath and the hallway full bath.

Doing well though, dr did increase my anti-depressant, he told me to wait til after I move in a week, see how things are going. Well I had the tank crash and started them that night. It was a good choice.

Glad Hagen likes the new space. Animals sometimes get very antsy when their environment changes. I'm sorry that your meds have been increased. I think the depression should be back under control once everything is settled and your tank is safely back underway, and you get a new stock of flower nems.

Don't worry too much if you have too many things going on at once, just take a breather and take it one step at a time like I did.

I've been healing up slowly and even though I still have some remnants of the flu in my system, my body is finally fighting back. I'm mostly taking a lot of Vit. C-rich food/drink to boost the immune system.

As for tank-wise, here's how everything looks like right now (ignore the annoying patch of cyano on the sandbed). Freya's been doing really well, and so has my new wrasse and my clownfish, Elmo. I've decided to name the new wrasse Ruby:

ROEVrhw.jpg

Kid0rO7.png

Also, I didn't reply for almost a week because I have been incredibly busy. I've been writing, doing more research on myth/legends to support the baseline plot bunnies of my novel, and also setting up this tank, which was originally meant for my lionfish:

75LXTtM.jpg

It's a 16G long. That LR was one huge piece that I broke using a hammer because it couldn't fit through the bracings of my tank. The rock was infested with maggots as well, so I peroxide-dipped it (the stench was horrible). I'm cycling it now. It'll probably take a month before I can add anything in.

Since I've given Cairo away, I want this to be a low-maintenance tank, so I'm just going to do a FOWLR and keep a variety of inverts (non-reef-safe included). I'm thinking a variety of shrimp, crab, and snails. And a red-knobbed starfish as well. I might add in three or four tiny nano fish such as a Hi-Fin black shrimp goby, YCG and Pictus blenny pair/(single). Nothing that exceeds 2". If only they had some GBG over here, I'd snatch up a couple.

I'm also seriously considering doing my PhD in a local uni nearby, although my parents think I should try upstate four states away. I'm worried of my emotional stability and stress levels - I have a tendency of fleeing rather than fighting when the going gets tough, and I hate it when I'm placed in a cornered situation. Sounds weak (I know), but I'm too nervous and anxious by nature.

Either way, I think tank maintenance shouldn't be an issue, whether I'm away or not. I can leave instructions on how to mix saltwater for my father to keep up with weekly WCs, or I can return monthly to personally do maintenance as well.

Sometimes fear can hold you back certainly. Also, sometimes you have to get into an area of the unknown and discomfort for further personal growth. I guess if I hadn't been forced by my job and economy to find a new place, I would've stayed in the previous location and felt more sad as while it was a place I once new comfort (because my husband was there), I can see how now being there just made it more obvious to me that he wasn't there and never would be again. Now I'm in an area where there are many more people, and I'll be able to meet more people which will be positive for me. Who knows, maybe there are some reefers in this 2 street complex I don't know about. We'll see but I do feel more independent now of those feelings holding me back. And I'm moving forward which is more brave. And I'm glad the dr suggested more of the medication. I feel like it's been easier to get up in the mornings to go to work.

Sometimes fear can hold you back certainly. Also, sometimes you have to get into an area of the unknown and discomfort for further personal growth. I guess if I hadn't been forced by my job and economy to find a new place, I would've stayed in the previous location and felt more sad as while it was a place I once new comfort (because my husband was there), I can see how now being there just made it more obvious to me that he wasn't there and never would be again. Now I'm in an area where there are many more people, and I'll be able to meet more people which will be positive for me. Who knows, maybe there are some reefers in this 2 street complex I don't know about. We'll see but I do feel more independent now of those feelings holding me back. And I'm moving forward which is more brave. And I'm glad the dr suggested more of the medication. I feel like it's been easier to get up in the mornings to go to work.

Yes, sometimes it is essential to move out of our comfort zone to achieve personal growth. In my case, I was gripped with so much fear and uncertainty that I pretty much wanted to crawl under a little coconut shell and live there like the good ol' social hermit that I am. But if you keep living under that shell, you'll miss out on everything that's going on around you - both the good and the bad. Guess I'm going to crawl out and have to face my own fears one way or another. I've already began to draft my PhD thesis proposal with three unis in mind (2 out of state and 1 in state), even though my official partial transcript will only come out by the end of either this month or early next month. I managed to score a 3.69 CGPA, which isn't too bad for my Masters, but I'm hoping I could still secure a partial scholarship at least. Tertiary education is quite expensive. :furious:

Good to know you're feeling more alert - I once had a horrible side effect from a med that my dr proposed - I actually ended up semi-conscious during work and it took a lot for the other staff to get me to wake up. It was dreadfully embarrassing - I was so happy when I switched out to a different med.

As for what I've been up to in general, I've been busy writing two novels, one PhD thesis proposal, running around getting all my pets fed, cleaned and entertained, and am still reefing (albeit slowly). The war with cyano in Freya's tank is still on, but my light is unfortunately non-dimmable so I can't reduce the algae. The only option would be to increase the flow in the tank, but I'm having trouble getting a small wavemaker - everyone seems to be selling these monstrous propeller-type machinery that creates cyclones in nanos. :unsure:

Still, not quitting - am going to keep on fighting.

Btw, has anyone seen Tam or Pod? Am especially worried for the latter, since he seems to have dropped off the planet. :mellow:

*Poke* Sorry for all your troubles, the tank still looks good to me despite your losses. That wrasse is a beautiful fiery red!

Is your cute birdy doing okay?

Just caught up on your thread, I hope you are in a better place and healing both emotionally and physically.

You're one of the strongest people I know on this forum, I hope you know that despite appearances, no problem is insurmountable.

You can do this.

*Poke* Sorry for all your troubles, the tank still looks good to me despite your losses. That wrasse is a beautiful fiery red!

Is your cute birdy doing okay?

Tam! Hi, finally nice to see you on here. I missed you. :)

Thanks - the wrasse is wonderful, although my clownfish has now began to harass him a bit when he wanders to close to the goni (which is hosting the clown). Silly little fishies.

My birdies are doing great:

hthk0Aw.png

Phoenix says Hello! to all the peeps of NR. He's now about to turn five-months-old and is molting to his adult coloration (feathers everywhere!) which should be mostly yellow and orange which tapers down to a dark green followed by dark blue. He's such a sweetheart. He can only say two words which is, 'Hello' (or rather 'Ek-Oh!') and 'Phoenix' ('Ee-Nix'). I love him dearly. :wub:

haWKjvm.png

Julian is also doing exceptionally well. He's just turned 1-year-old and for some reason loves doing 'it' with his toy bridge. Oh, boy. I honestly considered getting him a Lutino Pearl cockatiel girlfriend, but the cage is too small to house two birds comfortably. Guess he'll be a feisty bachelor until then. :lol:

Just caught up on your thread, I hope you are in a better place and healing both emotionally and physically.

You're one of the strongest people I know on this forum, I hope you know that despite appearances, no problem is insurmountable.

You can do this.

Thank you for the wonderful encouragement, Kat. I have a lot of supportive family members and friends (ironically mostly online ones like the good folk around here), and that helps me a lot to live through another day. Everyone has an invisible battle that goes unspoken, but it's because we keep on fighting that we're all still here one way or another. :flower:

Love your birds, my grandmother bred and raised love birds and conures. I had a love bird growing up as a kid, he was wonderful, sadly they only have a lifespan of 10-15 years so hes no longer with me. I would like to have one again someday.

Love your birds, my grandmother bred and raised love birds and conures. I had a love bird growing up as a kid, he was wonderful, sadly they only have a lifespan of 10-15 years so hes no longer with me. I would like to have one again someday.

Wow, that must have been wonderful. Lovebirds are simply adorable - sorry about your little one's passing. It's always hard to lose a fid or furkid. :tears:

Was that one of the birds that was sickly that looks so much better now? Julian? If so he's looking wonderful!

Yeah, he's doing much better than before. His feathers are no longer dropping excessively (turns out he had mites) and he's no longer itching. He's as proud as a peacock though. Won't let me touch any other parts of his body except his head. Silly birdie. :rolleyes:

My goodness Snow, I am only just now catching up with your thread since I got home from vacation yesterday. You have been quite busy, haven't you?

I was thrilled to read that your bird is doing great, or I should say birds. I was not aware that you had two!

A PhD and books in the works! That is some pretty ambitious endeavors but it sounds like you are on your way. Just remember to listen to your body's cues to get the necessary rest you need. And you are already prepared to make healthy choices nutrition wise so I believe you are on the right track.

My goodness Snow, I am only just now catching up with your thread since I got home from vacation yesterday. You have been quite busy, haven't you?

I was thrilled to read that your bird is doing great, or I should say birds. I was not aware that you had two!

A PhD and books in the works! That is some pretty ambitious endeavors but it sounds like you are on your way. Just remember to listen to your body's cues to get the necessary rest you need. And you are already prepared to make healthy choices nutrition wise so I believe you are on the right track.

Haha, yeah - I've been quite busy. An empty mind is pretty much the devil's workshop - so I might as well focus on something to help take my eyes off all the other icky stuff that I'm sometimes forced to contend with. :lol:

Yep, I have two wonderful parrots - I was genuinely thinking of getting a third, but money, time and space is a major factor(s).

And yes, I'll definitely pay attention to my body's nuances. If anything goes out of whack, I'll quickly take a break and re-strategize during my downtime. I was a bit naughty last night and defaulted my diet plan. I hadn't had chocolate in months, so for the first time last night I had several bits of some Cadbury's Fruit & Nuts. But that's the last bit I'm planning to have in quite a while - will be hitting the park again for some exercise soon enough. :happy:

I'm starting up on the treadmill and returning to paleo style eating next week. We're all going healthy!

I used to be paleo several years ago. Seemed to trigger lots of food allergies somehow. Now i'm allergic to almonds, shellfish, cilantro, lactose intolerant. I had zero issues other than peanuts before paleo.

I used to be paleo several years ago. Seemed to trigger lots of food allergies somehow. Now i'm allergic to almonds, shellfish, cilantro, lactose intolerant. I had zero issues other than peanuts before paleo.

Usually people know they're allergic to something so they start and feel better with avoidance of it. But I think with most things, you're body builds a little tolerance. Like my mother and dog allergy. Had a dog for a long time, it wasn't until after our family dog died that when my mother was around dogs later, it manifested itself stronger with puffiness, redness & itching.

You probably had it all along, I was allergic to milk and they say that's what you crave the most, what you can't have. Let's just say I'm not good around melted cheese. I looove melted cheese.

After 1 month my cholesterol, blood sugar and bp were at normal levels when earlier they were elevated, I lost 13 lbs, skin on my face was flat & clear, not red or bumpy, eyes whiter than I've been. It removed my cravings for anything, wasn't having the mid morning and mid afternoon tiredness, was sleeping better and waking up more naturally before my alarm clock, could think more clearly, even a dark spot on my face that made me look like I cry by my eye, disappeared. More energetic. I had some bad detoxing though, I turned mean, want to kick my dog grouchy, get outta my way. Detox is real alright as your body's trying to purge the badness out. Geez I was irritable. That and treadmill walking start next week. I gotta do it, I only fit into 1 pair of jeans at this point. And I'm really good at talking myself OUT of things so I can't give in to myself. I hate it when I do.

I'm starting up on the treadmill and returning to paleo style eating next week. We're all going healthy!

Usually people know they're allergic to something so they start and feel better with avoidance of it. But I think with most things, you're body builds a little tolerance. Like my mother and dog allergy. Had a dog for a long time, it wasn't until after our family dog died that when my mother was around dogs later, it manifested itself stronger with puffiness, redness & itching.

You probably had it all along, I was allergic to milk and they say that's what you crave the most, what you can't have. Let's just say I'm not good around melted cheese. I looove melted cheese.

After 1 month my cholesterol, blood sugar and bp were at normal levels when earlier they were elevated, I lost 13 lbs, skin on my face was flat & clear, not red or bumpy, eyes whiter than I've been. It removed my cravings for anything, wasn't having the mid morning and mid afternoon tiredness, was sleeping better and waking up more naturally before my alarm clock, could think more clearly, even a dark spot on my face that made me look like I cry by my eye, disappeared. More energetic. I had some bad detoxing though, I turned mean, want to kick my dog grouchy, get outta my way. Detox is real alright as your body's trying to purge the badness out. Geez I was irritable. That and treadmill walking start next week. I gotta do it, I only fit into 1 pair of jeans at this point. And I'm really good at talking myself OUT of things so I can't give in to myself. I hate it when I do.

My doctor advised me against doing paleo or Atkins for some reason - he felt that with my current health conditions, the imbalance/lack of nutrients from the avoided food types might cause more physical stress on my body. However, he told me to instead take smaller portions of food in general, cut down carbs (but not cut off completely), lower sugars as much as possible (no snacking - ice cream, chocolate, candy etc.) and instead focus on exercising more - especially walking. Since I'm mostly writing, I tend to sit in one spot for hours to write/work, so I don't move about much. Which is bad for circulation overall.

Also, I spotted this little guy on LA and I want him so badly!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=296838

I saw Tam having this beauty as well - if I find an equivalent dartfish over here, I'll snag it for the 16G once it's ready next month:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+3&ddid=296488

:happy:

I gotta do it, I only fit into 1 pair of jeans at this point. And I'm really good at talking myself OUT of things so I can't give in to myself. I hate it when I do.

I know that feeling. I have a drawer full of pants - 15 pairs. And I can only fit into 2 pairs. :eek:

I need to cut out so much bad stuff. But sugar is what I crave.

Archived