Pod Your Reef

Is this some form of algae or something else?

FutureReefer

FutureReefer

Noticed this about a day or 2 ago but now it has spread some more. I'm in my 7th day of the cycle and my Nitrate has increased to 50ppm and Nitrite is now at 0.5ppm.

post-88417-0-15138400-1437500722_thumb.jpg

FutureReefer

TBH I'm not sure from that picture what you are asking about.

The brown stuff in the middle, I've noticed it on other parts of my rock too.

charnelhouse

The brown stuff in the middle, I've noticed it on other parts of my rock too.

Mmmm.... hard to tell, but probably diatoms if you're 7 days into your cycle. How long has the tank been set up?

FutureReefer

Mmmm.... hard to tell, but probably diatoms if you're 7 days into your cycle. How long has the tank been set up?

Going in to the 8th day now. Do people usually wait until the cycle is completely over to add some of the cuc or can I start soon?

charnelhouse

If you're still seeing nitrite you should wait. And 50ppm on nitrate is pretty high. Wait until ammonia and nitrite are zero before adding any animals. nitrate should be under 20 too ideally.

FutureReefer

Will do. Just a couple days ago nitrate and nitrite were both 0. Could it be the media bags i added of Rowaphos and Chemi pure blue that made them rise or it's just part of the cycling process?

charnelhouse

Will do. Just a couple days ago nitrate and nitrite were both 0. Could it be the media bags i added of Rowaphos and Chemi pure blue that made them rise or it's just part of the cycling process?

I think that is just normal cycle. Rowaphos and CPB should be pulling that stuff OUT of your water, not putting it in.. ;) You're probably better off taking the media out until you know the tank is done cycling. Having the media in during the cycle is probably just delaying it.

I am assuming your rock is live rock based on the colors and that there is probably a fair amount of organic die off that needs to process.

FutureReefer

I think that is just normal cycle. Rowaphos and CPB should be pulling that stuff OUT of your water, not putting it in.. ;) You're probably better off taking the media out until you know the tank is done cycling. Having the media in during the cycle is probably just delaying it.

I am assuming your rock is live rock based on the colors and that there is probably a fair amount of organic die off that needs to process.

It's real reef rock, man made live rock with no hitchikers :). The shop I got it from already cured it too. I'll just keep testing every 2 or 3 days, I don't see any point in testing every single day, don't mean to sound arrogant.

HarryPotter

It's real reef rock, man made live rock with no hitchikers :). The shop I got it from already cured it too. I'll just keep testing every 2 or 3 days, I don't see any point in testing every single day, don't mean to sound arrogant.

You don't sound arrogant- you're perfectly right :)

At this point there's no critters to harm or anything; it's just a spike in nitrates/nitrites/ammonia followed by a decline. No need to test daily

When I read the title I was so tempted to comment something stupid like "No, it's squidward". I dunno why...

Archived