Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need Help with Arduino LED

Matteo

I am doing a DIY LED fixture for my 29g cube and am interested in the Arduino stuff. I just don't know what any of it is haha. If someone has a Arduino setup could you show me a build thread or tell me the parts and components I would need.

Thanks!

I think you're going to need to be more specific than "Arduino stuff" in order to get any really useful information. Are you wanting to build just a lighting controller? An entire tank controller than handles dosing, pH, lights, pumps, temp, etc.? Are you looking for a very simple LCD screen? A 3" LED display? a 7" display? All of these things make a big difference in what equipment you will need and how difficult it will be to build.

I think you're going to need to be more specific than "Arduino stuff" in order to get any really useful information. Are you wanting to build just a lighting controller? An entire tank controller than handles dosing, pH, lights, pumps, temp, etc.? Are you looking for a very simple LCD screen? A 3" LED display? a 7" display? All of these things make a big difference in what equipment you will need and how difficult it will be to build.

It says LED fixture for 29g. That is it. Also I don't know about it so that's why I am asking

It says LED fixture for 29g. That is it. Also I don't know about it so that's why I am asking

The Arduino is basically another Raspberry pie (A mini computer) so essentially its potential is only limited by the extent of your imagination. You will be required to program exactly what it is you are wanting. Now seeing you are wanting to use this with a DIY light fixture you might want to ask yourself do you want this all inclusive or do you want this basic? (I'm assuming your using it in the fashion of a controller) So did you want it to save times for light schedules, turn off and on during certain times? Or do you want to simply have the ability to control individual channels?

Depending what abilities you want will depend on just how complex you are going to make this for yourself. Remember you will be writing the code (which for that device i believe is "C") So if you know absolutely nothing about programming I would start off small, otherwise if you are familiar with another language you might already be getting my grasp and in that case might want to shoot for the stars. I would suggest searching "Arduino LED control" in google and getting an understanding of the basics first. It might also be helpful to do a search for others who have done similar projects, in the open source community people are very friendly and post their code for others to use or look at. Good luck

yeah more and more I looked it seemed like a pain and I am no savvy at all when it comes to code

I don't necessarily know the price tags for any of this, but you might find a pre-made controller examp "Bluefish" that will work for what you want leaving you with only designing the clusters and soldering it all together to be a cheaper option with labor and research also in consideration or check out these threads

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1987110

http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-diy-led-build-using-arduino-controller.177634/page-3

https://sites.google.com/site/caddnima/myreeftank/led_controller

Those are just a few with a quick search, there are several resources out there

I made a cheap one that works well - link in my sig

- 4 channels

- super simple hardware (basic arduino duemillanove not the mega) and a regular LCD not a touch screen.

Though I just checked and some of my links may be dead - can google the code though and then it's just a copy/paste.

Archived