Pod Your Reef

Bioload question

dragonxflare

dragonxflare

My 50 gallon reef tank with 30 gallon sump recently finished cycling (about 2 weeks ago), and I introduced:

2 Grade A piccaso clownfish

1 Yellow assessor Basslet

Both of which are about 1 to 1 1/2 inch big.

If I wanted to introduce a Helfrichi fire fish to this tank later this week, do you think the bioload can handle it?

I have a full fuge of Chaeto, and running a Vertex Omega 150 protein skimmer on it at the moment.

I figured the fish are small, so it wouldn't be too bad on the tank, but I wanted to confirm before making a purchase on a Helfrichi.

Thoughts?

dear god yes. I have 2 clowns, 1 gramma, and a potters wrasse in my mix reef 29 gallon. Not sumped but i don't skimp on mechanical or biological filtration. You should be fine for a couple more fish to come. Fire fish are cool but since you have a 50 gallon you should get some schooling fish or an active swimming fish:)

I also have a mandrian goby

dragonxflare

The only reason why I was asking is because I was worried I would be adding too many fish, too fast :)

What type of schooling / active fish would you recommend? I eventually plan on getting 1-2 reef safe wrasse, but haven't decided yet

ohhhhh I see! I would wait on the fire fish because those particular ones are spendy and that would be a bummer if something happened. Also do you have a lid? My $40 midus blenny jumped out the other day:( Firefish are known jumpers but I do know many (including me) that risk being lidless. Awesome wrasse are leopard and potters wrasse but finicky eaters, the carpenters wrasse is very stunning also. For school fish chromis are cheap and hard and though not colorful are fun to watch school and such. Cardinals don't swim much but they are fun to watch in a school as well. All about your tank personality!

charnelhouse

If you added the clowns and assessor two weeks ago, then adding a third fish after nearly 3 weeks is probably ok. If you just added them you should probably give it a few weeks for the nitrifying bacteria to catch up to the current 3 fishes bioload.

You are totally fine. I added 2 clownfish, a goby, and a scribbled rabbitfish at once in my 85. And there's a reason Kat introduced her rabbit as a poop bomber. They make an incredible amount of crap. Tank was fine. Especially with your skimmer. My vertex skims like a beast. Flasher wrasses are great for open swimming and are social. Also look at Fairy Wrasses, I don't know if there are any small enough for your tank, but they are peaceful open swimmers as well. You can look at my thread to see my fairy wrasses and flasher wrasse. They get along great with each other and everyone else.

Make sure your tank is covered though. Wrasses will jump. I had a solar fairy wrasse who jumped because he knew it was food time and got excited, and I accidentally stepped on him and broke his back :( it was traumatic all around. Order some screening from BRS (or if you're lucky like us, your LFS might stock it) and pick up a screen kit from homedepot or lowes and you can build a custom top for your tank.

dragonxflare

Thanks everyone for your help. I will need to eventually build a screen top... Just trying to figure out how I wanna go about it

Archived