ReefCleaners.org

Erica28...almost certainly a scammer

DustnF

I posted a WTB thread and was contacted by her. She offered what I was looking for at a fair price, and I agreed. Then she asked me to send as Friend/Family. At first I refused then came the sob story about being ripped off previously when someone claimed they did not receive an item. Told me she had a family...yada yada. I agreed to send half as Friend/Family and half as goods so we would both be taking risk.

Just sent me an invalid tracking number for UPS...so I did a little digging. Her profile here was only 6 days old, but claimed to be user "Reeflover101"...a member on reefcentral since 2007. Turns out that user's name is Travis and she signed an email as "Erica and Mike". Also reverse google searched the images of the items she sent me and they were both stolen from forsale threads from other forums. One from a Canadian reef forum and the other from a San Diego reef forum.

Basically there were a million red flags and I overlooked them all. I already started a PayPal dispute for the half I sent as goods/services. I am sure I will be out the other half I sent as Friends/Family. This lesson will cost me $66.

I hope this thread will save other users more.

And that's why you never send money as a gift. Doesn't matter what they say, insist on doing it as goods. If not, just move on.

And that's why you never send money as a gift. Doesn't matter what they say, insist on doing it as goods. If not, just move on.

Yep. I had always followed this "Golden Rule" of online transactions. Of course the one time I didn't it cost me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived