SaltCritters.com

Can I get a Clam?

Clownfish2004

Clownfish2004

Hi I want a clam for my 14 gallon.I was wondering if I could have a clam of some kind with leds and a built in back filter witch I have.Also I have a mini refugium in the filter.I am planing ahead.I haven't had my tank setup for 7 months.I have only had it setup for 3 months.I have 2 clowns and a tailspot by the way.Nothing else but a few hermits.I am planning on getting many many zoa frags in a few weeks.Zoa dominate but would like to keep a clam or two.

Clownfish2004

That is what I said.You didn't read it at all.I said I planning ahead.I know that my tank has to be matured.I said I am planing ahead.I haven't had my tank setup for 7 months.I have only had it setup for 3 months.

Still need to know what kind of lights you have. And LEDS isn't descriptive enough. There is a large range in LEDs. What kind of lights do you have?

HarryPotter

I have a JBJ unibody LED

Im not sure Clownfish2004, from white I've seen people put them under full spectrum lights more. The JBJ Unibody is only white and blue...

Clownfish2004

Ya I know.Do you know a cheaper full spectrum light.I might be able to trade the jbj for a better one.

12_egg_Omelette

Ya I know.Do you know a cheaper full spectrum light.I might be able to trade the jbj for a better one.

AI Prime, Reef LED

You can get a clam on day one. No such thing as waiting 10 years before you get one nonsense. Just make sure your tank is cycled and stable. Also clams are not giant fragile babies. SPS are considerably more picky. Clams are natural water filters and have no issues with dirtier water. I have 2 clams getting 150-160 PAR and they grow fast. My young derasa has doubled in size in less than 6 months.

Clams might not have trouble with dirtier water, but they also shouldn't be put in gross nasty water (not saying your tank is like that, just pointing it out), I have the reef breeders value LED and the clam I have seems to be doing fine at the bottom of my tank. Also, good on you for waiting and being responsible, I know I have killed too many things to count just by being hasty. If everyone seems to be coming off rude, they just want to save you the trouble of spending upwards of 60 dollars to have it die a little bit later. Just my 2 cents.

So a few things going on here... I'm going to try to word this as objectively as possible - it seems like you have already made the decision to get a clam and you're just seeking a confirmation/agreement here - am I right? Nothing wrong with looking for supporting opinions though.

First off, I think that anyone who does their research and understands/is willing to provide a proper environment can get a clam. The nice thing is that these are usually available as aquacultured specimens too - which is nice. Try to get one of those.

So with regard to the timing, there's no magic that happens when a tank is 6 months old vs. 5 months and 15 days or whatever. The reason people generally say to wait at least 6 months is because:

1) Clams survive based on a balancing act between filter feeding and photosynthesis (well, zooxanthellae) - depending on the stage of life they're in. Usually new hobbyists buy small clams because they're cheap - yet these are the most fragile ones and as I understand it they rely more on filter feeding at this stage. A new tank simply lacks the planktonic biodiversity that you would find in an established tank. Of course there are ways around that such as phyto dosing, and various micro foods - but those can get pretty expensive also so a lot of beginning hobbyists either don't feed the right stuff or don't feed enough (recall that a filter feeder spends almost all of it's time eating - a single feeding of food per day isn't going to cut it).

2) A tank older than 6 months is likely more final in livestock and coral additions. This is important because clams have many predators and parasites. Adding a clam at the same time you add all your fish and corals increases the chance that you'll have a parasite. Adding a clam last may decrease this probability.

3) It takes time to get the hang of maintaining water quality in a saltwater tank. Clams are sensitive to swings in temp, salinity, pH/Alk, etc... Also you should have a method for maintaining other elements such as calcium nailed down. All this takes time - to get a regular water testing/maintenance routine established.

Anyways - I hope this makes sense. I personally am not a fan of comments that say you have to wait X amount of time without saying why. Anyone feel free to add this is just what I understand at the moment.

Lighting: full spectrum LED isn't a requirement to keep clams. You can get plenty of PAR from regular blue/white LEDs - the main thing you're looking for though is having enough light... Full spectrum does have some ideals of matching photosynthetic peaks of various chlorophyll but ultimately I think it's about looks. Based on the little I know of the JBJ Unibody light I have to imagine it's got enough power. Note that the green and brown clams usually require less light than the blue ones - but if you're in doubt you can just move the clam up to the top of the tank. If you're unsure google other tanks that have that light and ask the ones who have clams what they think. If you can find evidence of a clam being under this light long term then that's a good indication.

Finally, take some time to research what kind of clam you can keep. They get pretty big so my thought is that a crocea would be a good one. They stay the smallest, and they take being placed on rockwork well.

In summary keep doing your research and know what you want and have a plan on how you're going to take care of it before purchase. Don't just read liveaquaria or wiki - read how people are really caring for these things and ask more specific questions as you understand more.

Good luck.

NOW THAT IS A GREAT RESPONSE!!!

Thanks for spending the time to write that ajmckay. I hope the kids in this thread actually spend the time to read it!

I have had a maxima go sexual and wipe out my entire tank. Water milky white and everything but a frogspawn and 2 acans dead. Tank had no skimmer, reactor, etc. just 2 wavemakers and a heater. Water was so cloudy light would barely get through. This maxima stayed in that tank for 4 weeks with the water like this. I wasn't even topping off at the end. The water got so bad that brown jelly took over everything. I tore the tank down and moved the clam to my nano and this is her today.

DSC00324.JPG

This maxima is basically unkillable. Why? Because it was completely mature when I got it at 5 inches. If you notice all the threads on here about people's clams dying the one common thing is that they are all small in 2" range. You want to have success with clams? Get mature ones.

Sorry for some of us to get a little critical but you have to realize that when you ask a question on the forum and people like harryjsinger (who is well known on the forum and always has great advice and experience) gives you an answer to what "you" put down on the thread you have to respect what people say "in general." I also agree with ajmkay that you were waiting for someone to say go ahead or for approval rather then people being honest.

Sorry for some of us to get a little critical but you have to realize that when you ask a question on the forum and people like harryjsinger (who is well known on the forum and always has great advice and experience) gives you an answer to what "you" put down on the thread you have to respect what people say "in general." I also agree with ajmkay that you were waiting for someone to say go ahead or for approval rather then people being honest.

I wouldn't say Harry gives good advice. The kid has 4 or 5 clams in a 45 gallon tank that is about 2 months old. One was dead for well over a week and he refused to throw it away. If anything he can't take advice.

HarryPotter

I wouldn't say Harry gives good advice. The kid has 4 or 5 clams in a 45 gallon tank that is about 2 months old. One was dead for well over a week and he refused to throw it away. If anything he can't take advice.

A year and two months old Braap. Get with it.

Oh and that "dead" clam is almost fully recovered, thanks for asking. Its beautiful! I take a lot of advice, but I'm glad I didn't listen to your "Throw it away"!

A year and two months old Braap. Get with it.

Oh and that "dead" clam is almost fully recovered, thanks for asking. Its beautiful

Just because you moved an old tank into a new tank doesn't make it over a year noob. You went from half the size to a much larger ecosystem with a bunch of new rock.

Bullshit. That clam is dead. Go ahead and post a picture I'm sure you bought a new one to replace it. There is no way in hell that clam came back.

What was that about man?

HarryPotter

Just because you moved an old tank into a new tank doesn't make it over a year noob. You went from half the size to a much larger ecosystem with a bunch of new rock.

Bullshit. That clam is dead. Go ahead and post a picture I'm sure you bought a new one to replace it. There is no way in hell that clam came back.

Ive been posting pictures every day and sending them to Morgan, so BULLSHIT to you sir. Look at todays FTS, or the one from two days ago, or the one before that. The Clam is almost fully recovered- extending, purple coloration back, etc.

You just can't accept that I didn't cave to the "Toss it" and that you were wrong dude....

What was that about man?

Yeah BrAAAp can be an A-Hole to me sometimes lol- I just go with it.

Archived