ReefCleaners.org

Chiller question

PicoSavvy

I am in the market for buying a chiller for my pico tank. I am currently stuck between a coolworks iceprobe or a AquaDG DC Mini Chiller (http://www.fish-street.com/aquadg_dc_mini_chiller)

I also looked into the JBJ Mini Arctica Chiller but I think it is to much for a pico. I don't want to make an ice cube just chill my pico about 6 to 10 degree below my house temperature

What are the positive and negative of these chiller and are there any 3rd option I haven't thought of

outerorbiter

In the past I had a ice cube on a 10g via a HOB aqua clear and it worked great. Just a little time setting the controller and heater. Stayed very constant even with the metal halide back in the day

I like mine. Used it on my jellyfish kreisel, 5g with a 10g sump. Kept my tank at 70, when my wife likes to "save energy" and let the house get to 80.

HarryPotter

Haha I just saw where my phone changed ice probe to ice cube. Sorry

LOL I was so confused- I google "Ice Cube" to see if that was a brand of chiller :lol:

RO/DI Ice Cube the most economical way to chill your tank. But in my situation where I am sometimes away for a week or so from my tank not a real solution

HarryPotter

RO/DI Ice Cube the most economical way to chill your tank. But in my situation where I am sometimes away for a week or so from my tank not a real solution

Why not a fan? I took my Nanocube from the mid 80's to 78 using a simple JBJ C-Breeze. Cheap and effective, especially if you have an ATO

I am not really a fan of fan cooling for aquarium. Also they kinda take away from the look of the tank. For the most part of this summer my house has been around 84 degree and the fans would have to be constantly on causing sg swing due to evaporation and ato to lower it to perferd temperatures

HarryPotter

I am not really a fan of fan cooling for aquarium. Also they kinda take away from the look of the tank. For the most part of this summer my house has been around 84 degree and the fans would have to be constantly on causing sg swing due to evaporation and ato

Well with an ATO there would be no swing haha..... The fan just evaporates water and the ATO replenishes it

Their well be a slight sg swing because it take a certain amount of water to evaporate to activate the ato switch. Plus with a chiller I can hide it which will give me the simplistic look I am after. Plus the price difference between the jbj fan you listed to the AquaDG DC Mini Chiller is only 60 dollar not much really. Plus the AquaDG DC Mini Chiller can also act as a heater eliminating that piece of equipment to.

Archived